1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Conner Much More Elusive Than Advertised

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Oct 10, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think the thing everyone keeps forgetting is that James Conner is only 5 games into his career, as an NFL starting running back. Not only is the sample size small, theres nothing to compare it to other than his college career, which was also stellar. What Conner is doing is remarkable. Everyone's biggest concern going into this season was JC's ability to pick up the blitz and protect Ben. He has excelled at that so far. Everyone was concerned whether Conner could be an asset in the passing game the way Bell was. Again, Conner has put those concerns to rest and is putting up great numbers as a receiver out of the backfield.

This guy is essentially a rookie. Not only did he rarely see the field last year, he is coming off of an injury. The level of work that JC has put in to perform the way he is performing is amazing. For this guy to be this good, this soon is also amazing. I think people need to stop comparing him to Bell, and start giving JC his due. He is on pace to put up better numbers than Bell this season, and his arrow is pointing way up. No reason to believe that the Steelers haven't found their starting running back for the next 6 or 7 years. With JC's work ethic, imagine how good hes going to be next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You can say stuff like this about any NFL running back. Point is right now JC is getting it done in every facet. He has a different running style then Bell. Thats not necessarily a bad thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I guess we can say this.

Bell last year(even given him slowing down) is/was better than Conner right now.

That does not mean Conner won't get better, or even Bell for that matter.

2014 Bell blows current Conner out of the water.

There is tremendous upside though from Conner, he is improving steadily. I think as Steeler fans we can appreciate him.

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I cant say that about Gurley, kamara, saquon, Zeke, or hell even kareem hunt.

5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    And 2018 Conner is blowing the doors off 2018 Bell.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    In your opinion. Yes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Conner’s 2018 Five-Game Start Much Better Than Bell’s Last Season
    https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/conners-2018-five-game-start-much-better-than-bells-last-season/

"Have the Pittsburgh Steelers missed running back Le’Veon Bell any through the team’s first five games of the 2018 regular season? If you’ve watched every offensive play of every game so far this season I’m willing to bet you would answer no to that question. As far as key rushing and deceiving statistics go, the Steelers aren’t missing Bell one bit through the first five games of the 2018 season as backup running back James Conner has done a fine job of filling in for him."

"Conner is really blowing Bell out of the water to start the season when it comes to the yards he’s averaging per reception. As a matter of fact, Conner’s average yard per reception stat of 10.86 is currently the second-best in the NFL behind only Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley when compared to all running backs in the NFL with 15 or more receptions. That’s quite impressive."

• Like Like x 1
  8. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Bell's value is as a total package not as a runner. He only had 4 games over 100 rushing yards in 2017. Conner will easily replace Bell's productivity without the diva BS. As usual fans drastically over value certain players. Bell is hardly worth $70M let alone $100+M.

Bell 2017 stats
    upload_2018-10-12_8-55-31.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    When did bell become who he was based only off 2018? Last I checked he was regarded as the best since 2015...

10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    2014 DeMarco murray had a better season than any emmitt Smith season. Guess he is on emmit's level than right?

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but that isn't just a matter of opinion. The sample size is too small. Anybody who engages in any kind of legitimate statistical analysis would tell you exactly that. Your analysis is flawed because it relies to heavily on a sample size that is too small. That is a fact, not an opinion.

12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    Ever hear what have you done for me lately? His last year is what matters relative to his age. He is very good just not great anymore. He will never return to his former self especially without the Steelers O-Line and offense where the opposition must respect the pass.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are assuming he will be playing for a team with a bad offensive line and no passing game. So now you want to cherry pick which statistics matter and which don't, you want to use sample sizes that were too small and you want to make up hypothetical situations that fit your argument.

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Wow I wonder how ap,barry, faulk, etc.. had arguably their best years in the later part of their careers.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And lately? Last I checked lately bell was ranked by football aficinados who know more than you and everyone on this board as first team all pro and was ranked by his peers who definitely know more than you and everyone on this board per the nfl top 100 list voted by the players as a top 5 player and the best rb in the nfl. That's what he has done lately if you want to play that game. And lately all I've seen is hall of Famer after hall of Famer, aficinado after aficinado, and anslsyst agter analyst say connor doesnt compare at all to bell and that the steelers miss him. That's also lately. Connor wont be all pro this yr nor voted a top 5 player.

17. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    football aficinados???!!!! Who the talking heads on ESPN? The hype masters?! Player want people to believe it so salaries go up up up. BS artists all!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You all can argue all you want, the rap giant won't be on the team next season, Conner will, as the starting running back of the Pittsburgh Steelers, as he is this year. It would be great to see the rap giant traded. It's over.

19. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    I wondered as well. The great Barry Sanders was consistent throughout his career. However, even my favorite RB, Marshall Faulk dropped in productivity when he reached 28. In his best years Faulk was worth what Bell wants but not from 28-32. Also Bell has never been the player Faulk was. Adrian Peterson's productivity has dropped shamefully, 98 yds/G to 66. Outside of Sanders I don't if any other RB's years after the age of 27 were as good as their years leading up to 27.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The people that get paid to do what they do.
    Ap is 32 I'm not talking about him now and even now he still from time to time produce a good game.. Ap tore his ACL at 29 and came back and rushed for 1500 yards at 30 in 2015. Bell is 27.. emmitt was still a 1000 yard rusher at the age of 32. Curtis martin at 31 had his best season of his career in 2004. Thurman Thomas was productive at 30. I can go on with several other backs the not so great ones are the ones you see falter after a few great years. I honestly think bell is a great talent. He's not that creme of the crop all time top of the list guy but he definitely with his ability has a chance to be in Canton one day. You cant really say bell cant have at least 3 more elite years. I do think at 30 will be his threshold but in his early 20s he also missed some time due to suspensions and then this season he will only play half. That factored into a lot of less touches on his body. I don't think he's worth a 5 year deal but he is definitely worth a short term 3 year deal with high gurantees. I sincerely doubt if he got a shot term deal worth high gurantees he wouldnt take it.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You seem to be falling in love with the word aficionado. At least this one is spelled correctly, but the word has nothing to do with getting paid. It is not a synonym for professional. It is someone who is knowledgeable and enthusiastic about a certain subject. There are plenty of football aficionados on this board.

And there is certainly an argument to be made that Bell doesn't have three elite years in him. He has a lot of mileage on his body already. He has been injured quite a bit. His yards per carry dropped dramatically in 2017. He has pretty much ruined this season for himself. There is also the risk of another drug-related suspension. Sure, it's possible that he has three or more elite seasons left in him, but it's far from the sure thing you make it out to be.

He wasn't taking a short-term deal from the Steelers. You're fooling yourself on that one. He wanted a long-term deal for big money with most of it guaranteed. Given all the factors I mentioned, that simply didn't make sense for the Steelers.

22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Enthusiastic AND KNOWLEDGEABLE. What do any of you on here have on your resume to prove you are more knowledgeable than people in Canton. No one here has answered that question. And how did ap at 30 with much more mileage than bell has rush for 1500 yards after tearing his acl at 29. Care to explain that to me? So also now you know more than the players that played against him that ranked him a top 5 player and the best rb in football. What credibility do you have that you know more than them. What have you done in life that shows you know more about what an elite back is than they do. I'm waiting.

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Is AP the anomaly or the norm?

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Is leveon an anomaly or the norm?

25. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    You keep talking about RB having a best season (singular). You don't pay RB scores 0f millions of dollars for a season.