1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben on Conner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Ben on his radio show said when Bell comes back he thinks Conner should remain as their running back or at least split time with Bell. He said he would push for Conner to stay on the field basically instead of Bell. He said he thinks he’s earned it.

I think Ben talks a little to much sometimes, but I understand where he’s coming from. I would keep Conner in the mix in the beginning, but put Bell as the feature back when he’s in shape. It’s all about winning another SB and Bell gives us a better chance then Conner IMO.

I’ll say we’ve heard how a lot of Bell’s teammates feel about him. I don’t agree with the way they are talking about Bell. He’s done a megaton for this team and wants to get paid. Who doesn’t understand that? Ben and a lot of the Steelers have already gotten paid so it’s easy for them to say these things. Put them in Bell’s situation and see how they react.

Here’s the article I read.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...0/roethlisberger_leveon_bell_james_conner.amp

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Bell's teammates were being kind. I'm sure there a lot of things they would like to say, and didn't. I sincerely hope Tomlin makes Bell inactive for the rest of the season. We can win or lose without him.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What megaton has he done for the team? The embarrassing joke the last two years preseason drama has been? The missing a required drug test and claiming it was the leagues fault because they didn't get his new digits? The four game suspension he got for it. The four games he was suspended for driving with his idiot best bud and some running back that quit on the team? The kid who missed most of the first few weeks of his rookie year with a bad foot?

Or are you referring to the job he has done on the field? I will concede he has been great at times and not so much at others but hardly constitutes megaton

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    ^&&&$ Bell!! At this point i wished we would just let him walk,im tired of hearing his name. It seems as thought the organazation and fans now seem to think Bell is gona come back and be a good lil soldier ,, .Its just not gonna happen. I could be wrtong on this but doubt it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    This team is further away from the Super Bowl than an out of shape, disgruntled rap star. If Bell does show up and play for the Steelers ever again, it will speak volumes for how far this organization has slipped (IMO).

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I ask this in all sincerity, does anbody care, at all, to see Bell back on the field as a Steeler? Are you eagerly anticipating his return?

7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Only out of a morbid curiosity am I eagerly awaiting his grand entrance. How good would he be since he will not sacrifice his body to make a play. With full respect for Franco Harris he started running out of bounds instead of taking a hit near end of his career. There is no I in team or Bell.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Difference between Ben and other players getting paid is they didn't hold out and hurt the team to get it. Worse even, Bell is just holding out so he can limit his workload. I don't why some people don't understand why fans would be angry about that or his teammates for that matter.

And Bens right, Conner shouldn't lose all his snaps. Hell, if Conner keeps playing like he did against Atlanta and Cleveland, just use Bell to spell Conner, make him the back up.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Ben needs to stop spending so much time on 93.7 and start spending more time at practice. His accuracy numbers through 5 games are downright atrocious

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How much free time do you have when you are not working? He's not going to practice 24/7. I don't see any harm in 30 minutes a day.

BTW. Conner has earned playing time. Lot's of it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I posted the stats about a week ago on Conner vs Bell. There is no difference in on-field production between the two so far and after the last game I wouldn't be surprised if Conner has outplayed Bell through five weeks vs last year. Bell's not going to make that big of a difference and that's if he was 100 percent which he is not going to be. He will also be playing to not get hurt and can't be trusted to go all out for team. You think Bell dives over the pile to score that TD like Conner did last week? Not a chance this season. I am as hard on players as anyone, probably more than most, and I've been nothing but pleased with Conner's job thus far. He's earned the right to remain the starter even if Bell returns. If he's had subpar rushing games it is because they spotted teams double digit leads to start the game. This will be a good opportunity for the coaches to finally show some integrity and prove that the TEAM is greater than any one player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    My approach is always to do what most benefits the team. But the benefits go beyond just the won-loss record. If he comes back and the team still has reasonable playoff hopes, play him. If they’re eliminated or nearly so, then additionally factor in his cost, the loss of a possible draft comp pick, the overall distraction, the potential impact on team environment, and the reduced playing time and development of other running backs. And do whatever all that calculus spits out.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah he should be on the clock 24/7.

14. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Maybe not but he shouldn’t be getting veteran days off on Wednesday either

15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    There's a reason they got paid.....they showed up. Bell had every opportunity to get paid, and paid well, he just wasn't willing to accept it.

16. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    All this is nice but yall know Bell is coming back and taking a massive amount of snaps as per usual. Like it or not, this team is still in a SB window and will fight for all wins.

17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Ben may be the most PR savvy athlete I've ever seen. For his entire career, almost everything he says to the press seems to carefully crafted and calculated to serve some purpose. And always carefully worded to offer plausible deniability in case of unexpected blowback.

Two points. 1) Encourage Conner and pat him on the back for his work so far. 2) give Bell a little kick, maybe piss him off a little so that if he comes back, he'll play a little harder. But couched in a way, where Ben can say. "I never dissed Lev, he's the greatest RB in the game, I was only praising Conner". Classic Ben.

18. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    They've tried to pay him..... More than any RB has ever been paid and he turns it down so it all on him

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    unless Bell comes in averaging 2 ypc and fumbling lol

20. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    They wanted to make him the highest paid RB in the League. So he could of got "paid."

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If you boss give you the day off are you gonna say no?

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And it’s not really a day off. He doesn’t throw. He still has to be there at the same early hour, see the trainer if scheduled, lift, meetings, etc. He just rests the body. For an older guy, that isn’t bad.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    The irony is this is that if they still have reasonable playoff hopes, they would be in that position without him so there would most likely be no need to go away from what is working. Now, say, Conner is playing awful and we're winning despite that then maybe I would give Bell a shot. As it is, Conner is doing everything Bell did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Bell is dead to me and probably the team too. We are not going to pay him and all we get is what, to be graced by his presence for a half season?

I doubt very much he gives his best and we already know he is a slow starter after he sits out. Even if he tried he would only give us a few good games and suffering his recovery to full speed is not worth it IMO. He is done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    He’s been great at times? Really? He’s not arguably called the best running back in the league, because he’s great every once in awhile. I think everyone is forgetting just how good he was or is on the field. That said none of this matters if he doesn’t show up. I’ll give you the off the field stuff, but every player wants to get paid. I know I’m in the minority with wanting Bell back, but he dominates time of possession. Also Ben does talk to much regardless of the topic. I just want us to win and have a chance at another SB!