1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense turning point or smoke and mirrors?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 10, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This upcoming Cincinnati game will be a true turning point for Butler. Right now Cincy is averaging 30 points a game, they have a high powered offense. Steelers are 8-1 at Paul Brown dating back to 2010.

If we can keep Cincinnati under 25, and most importantly win... I would feel good about this defense going forward.

Keys to the game:

-Most importantly Ben. It's always Ben, and will always be Ben. Do we get elite, or flacco? Wait... according to Ravens fans you can't have something redundant like that in a sentence. my bad

-Special teams. We won last year off a bos kick. Can we do that again? I have faith Bos will get things in order. Also Berry needs a good game.

I feel our defense is up to the task. They lead the league in sacks, it's time to show this year that they can be a above average defense. Need 2 wins and get Le'veon bloat back.

Just want to say that 8-1 record does not mean anything. These Bengals look like they are finishing games and not choking. Wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost, just end of winning the division.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the defense is somewhere between what we saw last week and what we saw the first four. It helped to have both Haden and Hilton available in the secondary. Remember, they looked good against Cleveland before Haden got hurt and part of the reason they faltered late against Tampa was the absence of Hilton.

Roethlisberger definitely has to play more consistently. He stunk in the second half against the Ravens and the first half against the Falcons. He needs to be better against the Bengals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    A loss to the Bengals would put Steelers 4 games back, because of tie-breaker. It's either win and be 2 games back... or lose and try to compete for the 6th seed.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It should be a heated battle and a close game. The AFC undercard game of the week to KC vs NE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    it's kind of good that the AFC north is not a joke this year. At least we won't get false hope like previous years lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Patriots always seem to have home games vs. the better teams. Luckiest damn bunch I've ever seen. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Yep ,and now you throw in this even more ridiculous than ever "roughing" BS and it just spells disaster for any team playing them

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Brady just needs to die lol. I don't mean that in the literal sense, just needs to wake up one day and say "i'm done".

dude is going to be like 50 years old still getting rings

9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, he has Edelman and Gordon now as weapons... along with Gronk and Michel. Our only hope is the Chiefs, but Patriots will most likely destroy the Chiefs in the playoffs. Chiefs have peaked too early as usual. Jaguars don't have the O to hang with Brady.

10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers AFC record blows chunks right now. 0-2-1. NFC record is perfect. Unless they start stacking wins, this will prevent any kind of playoff run. The tie vs. Browns is going to hurt more than help.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If the Steelers win, they would be a half game out, not two games. If they lose, it would be two and a half games out, three with the tiebreaker, not four.

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Well, either way this is must win vs. Bengals. Like I said before the AFC/Divisional record blows chunks. Besides overall record, those are the two most important deciding factors in playoff seeding.

13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Still not impressed with the dline and it all comes down to them imo. Falcons didn't really try to establish the run and when they did it was predictable situations. When this defense is giving up 5 yards a pop on the ground it's impossible to stop anybody. Lets see the dline "dominate" this weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That is why we just need to focus on what's ahead starting with Red Riffle and his Band of Bungles.

15. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I have said for weeks that we need to apply pressure, however it needs to happen, especially up the middle. I would rather do that than let opposing QBs tear apart our weak-ass zone. Make them throw a perfect pass under duress. If they hit some, I don't care. Make them think we are bringing the heat every single passing down. It worked against Atlanta and in the first half against Tampa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree... D-line has been a disappointment for a while now and the root of the problem for the Steelers D. When D-line is holding their own and not getting blown off the line, the LBs and DBs play better. It's a chain reaction when D-line gets manhandled, like they did vs. Jax and Chiefs... LBs and DBs suffer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree that it is a huge game. The Steelers are going to have a very hard time making the playoffs if they lose Sunday. It is also important to have the facts correct.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Part of the problem against Baltimore was the Steelers weren't getting to Flacco even with the blitz. It was still a bad idea to give up on it, but I do sort of understand the logic.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bengals success this year is A. Dalton rolling out of the pocket & making plays. Hope we will have someone fast spying him all game. Bostic will have something for Mixon I believe.

20. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Geez, it seems like half the league is averaging 30ppg.
    Always the key. But...DUBS!!
    Yes. First time back at Paul Brown since Shazier went down. And he’ll be on the sidelines. Boz will be inspired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Great. Mixon comes back from injury and he's on my fantasy team. I'll sacrifice my fantasy team for a Steelers win. If Mixon only gets 20 yards rushing and 0 TDs... fine with me.

22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yet we never do lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Do you not accredit some of the cle thing to how bad tyrod is?

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm still not sold on the defense or Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Too difficult to pinpoint what the defense is and nevermind where the defense is headed.

Way too many unanswered questions alone.

Ultimately though, this past Sunday was a step in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 1