1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I think it is all about a good start

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It seemed like if the Steelers can get a quick lead, the D then gets to play more of what they are capable of and the offense clicks a bit more. When things go afoul early on, the team seems to fold, both players and coaches, tactically and emotionally. Not a very resilient team, so lets hope for quick starts the next few weeks. Also keeping up the pressure rather than turtling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think it;s all about playing defense, and getting after it.

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Acorn that quote is pretty interesting. I do get all worked up over my teams and it really has no bearing on my life except for bragging rights.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If the D we saw yesterday shows up in Cinn. the AFC North will become very interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, that quote occasionally keeps me grounded on a Monday after a bad loss.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They played a solid game all three phases. Can't have the slow starts from the offense in which we saw in this last contest they dominated the line of scrimmage from the onset and Conner ran with authority. Once Ben settled down with the empire state throws the rout was on. The defense showed some promise finally but can they keep the momentum up? Watt was an absolute beast and Heyward played as we should expect. The jury is still out as far as i'm concerned.

Need this win to stay competitive in the division. And it doesn't get any easier going forward.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Having a good start in very important. But, this Steelers team scares me with leads. Heck today's NFL no lead is safe with almost any team.

Let's look at some examples, this season.

The Monday night football game at Tampa Bay. Steelers up 30-13 at half time. Yet let the Bucs back in it, only to win by 3 points. They took the foot off the throat and gas, and nearly lost it.

Example 2.) This past Sunday
    Steelers come out get a 13 point lead. Go to half time at 13-10. This doesn't allow them to take the foot off the gas as it's close.
    Then they have a great 2nd half and end up blowing them out with all 3 phases.

So, your right starting good early is key. But I think it's more key to not get down multiple scores early for this group.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Starts are nice to have; even better when you can put your opponent in a severe disadvantage and make them one dimensional through accumulating points in rapid succession.

The issue becomes when the defense elects to breakdown; both from a players and coaches perspective. The players do have to play much better but the coaches have to ensure the players are in positions to make said plays.

Case in point? Up until yesterday, Keith Butler has not done that. He needs to stack performances consistently. Only way to know if he can is finding out if he can do so next week against Cincinnati.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin talked about having a good start before the game, we saw how slow starts worked for them in the losses to Baltimore and Kansas City.

10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    maybe have a light scrimmage at 10AM

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Of course, it is better to start fast, but I don't buy the claim that the Steelers folded after bad starts. They rallied from big deficits to die the Chiefs and the Ravens, only to falter in the second half. That certainly wasn't good, but it wasn't folding.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is the probem: If the Steelers get behind, even if by 4 pts in the 1st half, the offense becomes one dimensional, the run gets abandoned, the game plan gets abandoned. Ben gets permission to go sandlot, and he does. If they have a lead, they behave like an 'adult' balanced offense. RBs get carries, they game plan gets followed, Ben acts like a field general, and a very good one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a fair point, but also one the coaches have to address. If they are within a touchdown in the second half, they need to keep running the ball.