1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bostic was a good signing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 7, 2018.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    When I hear names like Farrior, Ward and Bettis, man, I get so nostalgic. I love those teams so much. And I love those players so much. Thankful they all retired champions and multi-champions. Some of the most amazing football games I have seen in my life involved those great players.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I liked the Bostic signing, but I didn’t expect him to be one of the top performers on our defense. Very good signing.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i liked the bostic signing and have been an LJ fort fan since we got him too. i have been on the get vince out of there train for awhile now. didn't understand the extension of him. i stand by my thoughts on vince. we were a much better defense today. bostic, fort, thomas should be the first 3 in the game. wake up coaches. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I hated the Bostic signing. I thought is was stupid and a waste of cap space!!!! Why???

Because we lost our Jack/Buck LB and that's what we needed .... Not ANOTHER Mack/Mike LB.... Bostic plays the same position Vince and Red do..... How can anyone say his signing has been good ?? Our defense is horrible, worse than last year and the years before .... Bostic keeps getting burned in the passing game.......

Yall say he's been solid vs the run......ok, so would Red or Vince if they had a decent Weakside Buck LB beside them.

If Bostic is going to stay in then it needs to be at Vince Williams expense and play Fort Beside Him or maybe Terrell Edmunds in that Jack Role.

Cajun

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    sure was impressed with #55 from Dallas last night..

• Like Like x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Never fear... I'm eating crow, too. Bostic has learned the defense and is making plays and not overreacting or back on his heels. Good FA pickup... for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dallas can very well have the best defense of the league. Great D line, great linebackers and solid secondary. They invested heavily on the D.

Their offense is so bad though, that I am unsure they can win a SB with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't say.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I liked the Bostic signing we needed someone better than a guy off the couch who had already lost two steps. He might settle in and be pretty decent which is a huge step up from what they were trying to piece together last year.
    We still need more speed from one ILB and whether its Thomas or Edmunds in a hybrid role I think Vince sits.

I am not sure about the idea of a hybrid big safety/small LB, he might learn to cover TE's but most teams might just run right at him to see if he can hold his ground against the run.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

Not as much because of Bostic but because his skill set wasn't what was needed most ......

Cajun

11. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    But you can't easily just go and pick up a Shazier-like ILB that can cover WRs and fast RBs and big TEs in one go. They are very rare. If our scheme is reliant upon that type of player carrying it, they should probably change the scheme.

Having an above average secondary would be much more impactful than a faster player to replace Bostic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought Fort's showing would have you pleased, mac.

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ok...Who out there on the FA market would YOU have signed...I'll wait

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just kidding Cajun!

Don't agree though. Where would they be without him right now. He's doing a good job and Vince was getting exposed.

Sorry but Red wasnt the answer. They needed Bostic.

15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    After Watt, Bostic has been the 2nd best player on the defense this year.

Change my mind.

16. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good god, think if we had Bostic last year instead of Spence. On second thought, don't think about it.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's one thing to make a horrible argument before the season. It is another to lack the honesty to admit when you have been proven wrong. Bostic is playing well. He is their best inside linebacker. He actually gives them lateral movement from an inside linebacker, something they don't get from Williams or Matakevich. The run has to be right at those guys for them to make a play.

18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I missed last game albeit listening sporadically on the radio and seeing the last 3 minutes of the game, but from what I've seen in reviews of the game everyone played with passion which I love seeing.

I knew this defense wasn't as bad as they've been playing. Pretty impressive performance against some pretty good wide receivers. Containing Julio Jones was impressive. Awesome to hear good word on Bostic and to see Fort getting in and making plays!

• Like Like x 1
  19. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I know.... We good !!

Bostic is an upgrade over Vince.... If shazier was still playing it would have helped the D.... I feel if Red was given a chance to play and grow he'd be an upgrade over Vince .... He's that smart and instinctive.

Playing both Vince and Bostic at the same time is like playing two FB on offense together.

If we have gotten someone like Honeybadger to play that Hybrid LB along either Bostic or Vince or Red I feel our D would be much better.

Cajun

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just throwing this out there....Haason Reddick (Temple) is supposedly on the trading block with Arizona. Many on here, including myself liked him coming out of the draft. I haven't seen many AZ games so not sure if he's on the inside or outside but I'd love to get that potential on the roster. I'd send Marcus Allen to the PS to make room.

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...-and-deone-bucannon-on-trade-block-per-report

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Bostic is no Shazier, but he is far more athletic than Matakevich, who is just too slow to get the job done. It's what many of us tried to tell you before the season started. You keep talking about upside that isn't there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    It certainly looked unintentional.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It looked like he was in a rush to get up and celebrate. I wonder if the officials would have called something if he took his time, too. I can certainly see why Tomlin was pissed after the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    In my opinion, Bos makes players around him better, so that alone gives him a leg up on Vince. I do think he is a much better LB than some give him credit for.

25. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Hilton..... Heyward.... Davis @FS has been a solid upgrade as well!!!

Cajun