1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

LJ Fort...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Oct 8, 2018.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Needs to play more. He is faster and creates more havoc then a guy like Vince Williams. I’m not making any changes after yesterday even when Williams is healthy. Fort is better and needs to play. Also, how important is a guy like Mike Hilton to this defense?? He is so solid and they need him on this defense very badly every week.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Fort was driving me nuts yesterday. Slot receiver would line up with no one covering him. It was Fort’s responsibility but he wouldn’t move from inside until the ball was snapped. Quick pass to the uncovered guy for a first down and Fort playing catch up. Ok, so he missed an assignment? Then 3 plays later he’s doing it again.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if his man is the slot receiver we need to change that quickly. i think he was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing by design. the design needs fixed jeh. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    There just seemed like there was less confusion with Vince Williams not being in there. Fort just seems like a guy you can trust and looks like he has the speed more so then some of the other LB’s the Steelers have to make a lot of the plays that have not been getting made so far this season.

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    looked like he was a little shaky in the beginning, but was better the more he played.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Gotta roll with the hot hand. If Fort keeps making plays, Vince should ride the bench when he's healthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yet again, that falls on Butler.

I think Butler needs to understand that Ryan Shazier is no longer on the team and that he is not coming back in 2018.

This is where the magical adjective called "adjustments" should REALLY be applied in such scenarios.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yup shaz could cover TE's, RB's and some WR's lol all while beating tackles/guards to the QB

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think a big lost fact that goes with inside linebackers is that they are really the Quarterback of the defense. Guys like Shazier, Timmons, Farrior. They were great. Vince Williams is a giant drop off in this category. While Vince can make plays, I think he lacks the leadership and other abilties to be a good QB of the defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Vince Williams is not going to get better or faster. I think the Steelers should see if Fort can become the starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As in my other thread last week, Fort, Alualu, Ridley, Burnett when healthy, and Hilton, Sutton
    need too see more playing time.

12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not taking anything away from the game Fort played but if you look at this game vs the Ratbirds game you will notice pressure pressure pressure. IMO this is key, why we went 3 man rush vs the Rats is beyond me but Fort did play well this week and VW has been struggling. Did the coaches make the system more simple, the fact that Hilton was back is also a factor.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The return of Hilton was a huge factor. That put Cam Sutton in the role Behre was playing against the Ravens. The domino effect there made a big difference. Hilton is a much better cover guy and he is more effective blitzing than Sutton. He didn't have a sack, but he did pressure Ryan. Also, as much as Sutton has struggled at times in coverage, he's a huge upgrade over Behre in that regard.

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Fort played his college ball around my home town. He has above average intelligence, so I doubt he was confused on where he was supposed to be. I thought he played well enough to earn more time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fort brought a spark, and man does this D need all the sparks it can get going forward.

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    vince should stay where vince was when timmons was here, a backup. they paid him though so i'm afraid it won't happen. just ridiculous. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This happened a few times... They even had Red covering the slot guy; Sanu I think it was. Not a good design.

In case anyone was wondering, Matakevich played 57% of the defensive snaps and Fort only played %38.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Vince and Bostic are too similar a player... I think Fort or Thomas need to play next to one of them....