1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

You be the GM: Ryan Shazier

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by pjgruden, Oct 4, 2018.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    So, what do you do with Ryan Shazier next year?

He'll be a UFA. But he's also injured and may never play again. Do you give him a contract based on his former potential? Do you try to convince him he shouldn't play again and give him some type of job in the organization? Or do you let him walk and see if another team would sign him?

I'd love for him to be 100% again, I just don't think that is likely, and for his long term health, I don't think that is the best decision for him. He has always had a tendency to tackle head first, and I'm just not sure he can change that, even though he had the spinal injury. I think he would make a good ambassador to the league to talk to younger players about playing heads up football. He can tell them to learn from his mistakes, and how luck he is to be walking again.
    I don't want to see the team get rid of him, but they also can't give him a multi-million dollar contract if he can't contribute.

2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    My thought all along has been that I want him with the Steelers organization, but unfortunately, he shouldn't step foot on the field again. I'd love for them to find a job for him to help the team in other ways.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
  3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    In One form or another I think he will be part of this team for a long time. I really think they grooming him to coach or at the very least be a scout with all the stuff they were having him do in the offseason

4. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Maybe near future Tomlin replacement

5. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Do not really understand this question... Ryan shazier is never gonna play football again. Why would you give him a contact based on what his worth was which would be the highest pain middle linebacker in football? You let him be a free agent and you you give him some sorta job internally............

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt he will pass a physical, his career is over IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He may play again who knows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He can, but highly unlikely.

Let's just say these odds are greater

1. Me winning the mega millions
    2. Steelers winning the superbowl this year
    3. Real Steel being optimistic
    4. You unblocking me
    5. our defense turning into the best by years end

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Have him replace J. Porter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's been doing scouting for the team already. i expect he will continue and even coach as well. maybe as an assistant at first. maybe like sarrett has done under munchak. i just hope it's not porter, butler or jerry o teaching him. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Should we start just going after best players available rather than needs? We keep reaching and it's not working out.

Maybe just keep drafting WR's, groom them and trade them for players lol.

12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe you're on to something. We can just draft WR's and Offensive Lineman. And just trade for the rest. :dancing:

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Cut bait. Release him. He will never play football again. If he is qualified for another position, let him interview for it. I would not treat him any differently than a non-multi-millionaire employee with similar circumstances.

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    All I got out of this thread is you being "unblocked". What does that say about me?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    His recovery has been remarkable. I won't count him out. He definitely wants to play again.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It's remarkable he can walk but he will never play again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Well 3 is out for sure.. The others are possibilities however remote lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    He still walks with a very noticeable hitch. Even if he gets to a point where he is capable of playing again he absolutely should not. One more hit and he could be paralyzed. Right now he can do pretty much everything except play football. He has millions, a fiancee, a child. He will probably get a job with the Steelers or another football program and he can be involved in the sport that way.

He can live an amazing life right now...or risk becoming a para or quadriplegic and being confined to a wheelchair the rest of his life.

As a GM, you say "sorry Ryan, you are a great player and even greater human being but we have to cut you as a football player. but we want to keep you on in another role".

Shazier loves the team and wouldn't want the team to do anything else. Keeping him on and paying him millions not to play hurts the Steelers ability to win and Shazier wouldn't want to do that to a team that is already struggling to get above .500 this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If he's a UFA, and wants to pursue the dream if playing again. I let him, it's his desire, his challenge, you can stand in his way. I have serious doubts that any other team would want to have him on the field either.

But I also tell him, that the organization is concerned about his health, that they don't think it's in his best interest to play anymore, that there's a scouting job avaiilabke if he wants it. Wish him well and no hard feeling.

20. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I'll soon turn 77 and he and I walk alike, fact is he suffers from nerve damage and no one has been able to recover fully from that, at least to be the athlete they once were...

21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    some guy was arguing on reddit with me that I am not his Dr, and I shouldn't just blatantly say he will never play again.

I just suggested that he shouldn't ever play again, not that he wouldn't. Although it would be extremely rare he could even come close to that level of play.

Then factor in what you mentioned about the risk of potentially life altering injury, aside from this one.

22. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

Im glad he is kinda walking but he will NEVER play football again.... Impossible, especially for a linebacker that was probably the fastest ever to play........... His game was SPEED...

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    His gait/walking will most likely be altered for life. I probably have more of a chance playing professional football then he does.

The Steelers will most likely offer him a job in some capacity. It is hard to watch him knowing how he used to be able to fly around on the field.

24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    why wait? give him a helmet, can't be any worse than what we have now.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I can't see a team willing to take on the risk of him getting injured again, he probably wouldn't be able to change the way he tackles.