1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bench Big Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Raymond L Hall, Oct 1, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah lets hold judgement til after October-Nov. Not saying we will win those games but you should be able to judge Ben's performance.

2. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    For clarity, I'm not saying Ben shouldn't be benched, at times. What I am saying is that the organization has decided not to take that route and allow Ben to play. Because of this, we have to accept both the peaks and the valleys that are inherent to his performance. If the organization (from Rooney on down) had the political will to bench Ben, then I don't think Haley would be gone. The entire organization allows Ben to do whatever he wants. This includes throwing coaches under the bus during interviews.

Ben both is and has always been inconsistent. This inconsistency is usually attributed to poor offensive line play, but, if you look closely, Ben often refuses to take what the defense gives him and attempts to impose his will on the game. Sometimes this works. Other times it doesn't. When it doesn't, you see high INT counts and lack of rhythm with his receivers (although this is sometimes also due to the receivers, themselves). Despite how talented Ben might be, he does not have the ability to take over a game the way Brady, Brees and Rodgers can because of his approach (and, more recently, inaccuracy with the long ball).

I have argued many times that Ben's early success was due to having either stellar or above average defenses that allowed him to make mistakes and get the ball back to make some spectacular drives; particularly in fourth quarters where he has a reputation of being able to lead comebacks. However, with the league changing rules to both favor offense and hobble defense, combined with an average-at-best showing by the Steelers defense when compared to the new rules culture in the NFL, now we see that the offense has to carry more of the load. They have the talent, but not always the discipline to get it done. This on-field discipline must be led by Ben. If the defense does not play well down the stretch, then the Steelers struggle. Haley attempted to instill this discipline, but he was run out of town.

I didn't go back to comb through any numbers. I'm just going off of the feel that I have gotten from watching this team since they lost Superbowl 45.

To be fair, even with Ben being Ben, the team has had success through these frustrating struggles. I'm willing to be patient. Ben has proven that he'll rise to great highs if you are understanding of his lows.

3. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben didn't practice Wednesday. nothing new

he gets better not by studying the film room or practicing, but he has his outrageous games that even out the stats.

4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    "I let us down"

*takes vet day off*

lol sorry can't get over this

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep I really think he is about to or has already checked out Mentally ..We will see in the next few games , but he looks defeated when he is playing bad not upset ..If He knows he let the Team down then why the hell take a day Off ? All this says to me is the guy everyone knows has to lead us has a maybe we can play better or maybe we won't attitude..

If he wanted to be a Leader he would practice and be the 1st in the building and the last one out on a daily bases...On off days he would be organizing some film study with the Receiving group..This is his last season and he could have been so much better in his career if he so desired..

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think having a family and Brady getting 5 rings killed his motivation.

He said he wanted to have the most rings and now that's way out of reach. Plus he has gone full dad mode so yeah I am assuming he is taking those days off to be with family. Can't blame him, but at the same time he is relying on his ability to coast to victories.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A lot of vets in the past took a day off from practice. Troy was one in particular. They still show up though and go through everything else.

I don’t see it as a big deal.

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, but Troy was a Strong Safety (not a QB) and he had Farrior, Hampton, Clark, Harrison, Kiesel, etc... as teammates. Vets who were leaders on and off the field.

The question is... does Brady, Rodgers and Brees take a Vets Day off? I don't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yeah this not well thought out. Tell me why do you bench a guy that was the Offensive player of the week two weeks ago?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BLACKGOLD CHAMPS

BLACKGOLD CHAMPS Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    One thing about this organization both good and bad. You can bet when we play the Bengals at home this year, even if we're 1-13-1 at that point, barring injury Ben will still be the starting qb, Tomlin still the HC, Butler will still be the DC and Fitchner will still be the OC.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    If we dump the next two games, and I expect us to, it's time to pull the plug on this season. Play the young QBs, play the young guys on defense and figure out what the fugg we have. Sending Ben out every Sunday to lose AND get killed isn't going to do us any good. If he has a problem with it, he can retire.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    My gut feel is Brady does not. He pushes to get more playing time in preseason.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Welcome to the board!

Agree that this team could use all the practice it can get...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think it would be nice as a statement. Basically owning up to his comment. At the same time, he could benefit from the extra practice, or at least very much cannot hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Agree .. Nice comment. BB could back up all his talk about the loss is on him by coming out for more reps. He could certainly use em

• Like Like x 1
  16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We have to wait too see if the season is lost first. I think we will know at the mid point. If it is, then yes, play the backups and hope we get a starting QB in the 1st round of the draft.

17. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree, here. Especially when he and his top receiver are off-key.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben needs to be practicing with James Washington, the kid has been nonexistent thru 4 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Bench Tuitt!

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    "Bench Big Ben"

I'm still chuckling, thank you

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ben needs more practice not less, he says he's not on the same page with anybody, so instead of missing a practice day he should be getting his timing down with his receivers and working on his long throws:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000968841/article/big-ben-im-not-on-the-same-page-with-anybody

23. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I hear the criticism of Ben but looking at the pictures, I tend to give him a break sometimes. This is an interception, but looking at what Ben saw in pic 1, I would have thrown the ball too. Browns CB D. Ward just plain made a good play for the interception. He's a rookie and playing well so far and I predict he'll go to the Pro Bowl this year.
    pic 1 #84 is open
    pic 2 oops, maybe I shouldn't have thrown the ball
    pic 3 I KNOW I shouldn't have thrown the ball IMG_2618.JPG IMG_2619.JPG IMG_2621.JPG

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Bench.png Ben laughing.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. InBenWeTrust

InBenWeTrust Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Ben just leads us down for a GW TD in a hostile environment. That’s my quarterback!

• Like Like x 2