1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bench Big Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Raymond L Hall, Oct 1, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Welcome

2. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
  3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tough to bench the guy who runs the team. Ben would bench Tomlin before Tomlin would have the balls to do it to him. Ben doesnt take MT serious, he would just laugh it off and probably get worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Let's face it this offense has huge challenges this year with Bell out, A new OC, Conner just being mediocre, AB being out of sync with Ben, Villanueva regressing and an invisible defense leaving them to chase points. Add to that an incompetent HC who has no idea how to clock manage.

You can't put this all on Ben. Neither Rudolph nor Dobbs would offer anything more.

Simply put, this team is in free fall mode and the schedule doesn't get any easier.

I was so mad after the game last night, I lost a lot of sleep but now I'm realizing that the avalanche is already in motion.

Ben is not done. There's a gazillion things wrong with this team and it's not the QB position that will remedy the problem.

5. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Not the way he played yesterday.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Way too early to bench Ben. People need to remember, it was September and the Steelers offense doesn't show up until October.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The only advantage that Rudolph or Dobbs would be that they would absolutely run what the OC gave them with no argument.

I think Ben is the OC here.
    Or at least has too much control or say.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There was a time when it was common to bench your starter during a game if he was struggling. They'd use the backup to see if he could get something going and give him some game reps at the same time. Those days are gone. Too many egos to protect these days, not to mention lost fantasy points.
    It's probably why a guy like Landry Jones never really developed into anything, he never got much of a chance. Although in the Steelers case, Ben has shown the comeback ability to make (almost) no lead safe, so sitting him would rarely make sense. I don't think sitting Ben in favor of Dobbs or Ruldolph would make sense either. Ben is streaky, gotta take the good with the bad.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016

Please note I'm going over the top here for the joke, but I do hope you will put more thought into future posts here.

10. TbYoung

TbYoung New Member

Oct 2, 2018
    New member here, I still think BB is a viable asset to the team, I agree he looked off this week. I think he could improve by attending all practices, as far as I know veterans aren’t required to attend The Wednesday practice, I mean we’ve all seen it takes him and most of the offense at least a quarter to get into rhythm.

11. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    It appears that Ben doesn't take anybody serious. And that's part of the problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This X1000

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    And this is why the Steelers will not win another Super Bowl with Ben at QB. Sad but true. Roethlisberger = Brett Favre

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben is playing like he didn't practice since Jags game last year.

I bet you a fire would be lit under is A$$ if Mason Rudolph got a start.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Bench Ben?

Assuming he has consecutive performances like this one, heck no.

Big Ben does have those unusually horrible games for certain. However, the defense being unable to stop Baltimore, or anyone for that matter, has proven to be their undoing.

Big Ben, among all the issues this team has, is among the lower level of my worries.

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After the Jacksonville game in week 5 last year he was done. Then he was perhaps the best QB in the league over the second half of the season. Can we put down the pitchforks for a little while?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben is Ben why are we freaking out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our 2nd half coaching all season is why we suck

19. Raymond L Hall

Raymond L Hall Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I agree there's a lot of things wrong with this team. But take a step back and go back to when Terri B got hurt and Gillium came in and took them to the playoffs TB got back in and took the team, to the playoffs and also won the Superbowl,Yes, Ben won two super bowls but there is no denying that if we had a young strong QB that was accurate and could deliver the long ball to all of our great receivers not only would that pick up the office but also the defense. I'm sorry but no matter how and what B.Ben has done for the Steelers he looks really bad in areas that matter the most. Passes not on target, no sip or zing in the ball. I don't think the Steelers win 8 games this year. And yes I would bench Ben if I was the coach. I would also fire the HC and DF coaches right now. Whose up Next -Falcons -tossup who wins but more like Falcons, Bengals -Oh BOY, Browns-Not sure, Ravens in Baltimore for sure L oh wait Bell plays that game maybe some help...Panthers not sure but Bell is back. JAGS at home L for sure even with Bell. Let's see where and how Ben performs in these games then let's talk again.

Let's see how he does in the next five games. Oh, Bell comes back to game 7. I think the NFL 2018 is full of young fast players including QB's. we have a young fast accurate QB, in fact, we have 2 of them but they will not play. I use to think Ben could do anything. I think he has problems with his eyes. If you can't see the player you can't get the ball to him.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  20. Raymond L Hall

Raymond L Hall Member

Oct 1, 2018

I agree there's a lot of things wrong with this team. But take a step back and go back to when Terri B got hurt and Gillium came in and took them to the playoffs TB got back in and took the team, to the playoffs and also won the Superbowl,Yes, Ben won two super bowls but there is no denying that if we had a young strong QB that was accurate and could deliver the long ball to all of our great receivers not only would that pick up the office but also the defense. I'm sorry but no matter how and what B.Ben has done for the Steelers he looks really bad in areas that matter the most. Passes not on target, no zip or zing in the ball. I don't think the Steelers win 8 games this year. And yes I would bench Ben if I was the coach. I would also fire the HC and DF coaches right now. Whose up Next -Falcons -tossup who wins but more like Falcons, Bengals -Oh BOY, Browns-Not sure, Ravens in Baltimore for sure L oh wait Bell plays that game maybe some help...Panthers not sure but Bell is back. JAGS at home L for sure even with Bell. Let's see where and how Ben performs in these games then let's talk again.

I think the NFL 2018 is full of young fast players including QB's who can really play. we have a young fast accurate QB, in fact, we have 2 of them but they will not play. I use to think Ben could do anything. I think he has problems with his eyes. If you can't see the player you can't get the ball to him.

21. Raymond L Hall

Raymond L Hall Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I agree there's a lot of things wrong with this team. But take a step back and go back to when Terri B got hurt and Gillium came in and took them to the playoffs TB got back in and took the team, to the playoffs and also won the Superbowl,Yes, Ben won two super bowls but there is no denying that if we had a young strong QB that was accurate and could deliver the long ball to all of our great receivers not only would that pick up the office but also the defense. I'm sorry but no matter how and what B.Ben has done for the Steelers he looks really bad in areas that matter the most. Passes not on target, no sip or zing in the ball. I don't think the Steelers win 8 games this year. And yes I would bench Ben if I was the coach. I would also fire the HC and DF coaches right now. Whose up Next -Falcons -tossup who wins but more like Falcons, Bengals -Oh BOY, Browns-Not sure, Ravens in Baltimore for sure L oh wait Bell plays that game maybe some help...Panthers not sure but Bell is back. JAGS at home L for sure even with Bell. Let's see where and how Ben performs in these games then let's talk again.

Let's see how he does in the next five games. Oh, Bell comes back to game 7. I think the NFL 2018 is full of young fast players including QB's. we have a young fast accurate QB, in fact, we have 2 of them but they will not play. I use to think Ben could do anything. I think he has problems with his eyes. If you can't see the player you can't get the ball to him.

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm thinking ESL. :hmm:

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you are on to something.

24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    [​IMG] ;)

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Kinda like saying: "I was going to be a professional dancer but the music kept throwing me off." ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1