1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What Changes if any of personnel would you make on defense or offense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers5859, Oct 1, 2018.

1. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Would you make any changes on defense as far as personnel? or Offense?

Artie Burns and Hayden
    Davis and Edmunds
    Bostic and Williams
    Tuitt, Heyward, Hargrave
    Dupree, Watt

Would you bench any of these guys for someone else?
    I don't think so because no one on the bench is any better or slightly better.

AB and JuJu
    AV, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert
    Jesse James or Vance
    Ben, Conner

Who do you possibly replace?
    I don't see anyone that would be an upgrade.

I think we will have to ride the ship with who we have.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The biggest area of weakness is the D-line, which many seem to overlook. We simply don't have the speed on the DL to create consistent pressure. Pressure from the DL would improve the LBs and secondary. In short, Steelers need to jettison the 3-4 and start drafting and bringing in free agents to run a 4-3. The current defensive scheme is a huge liability. We need new coaches, personnel and scheme. Unfortunately, this can't happen in week 5... and we are stuck with what we have until December 30th.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I'd probably replace all 11 guys on defense with 11 guys or gals from this board.. Because why not. Can't get much worse.. I'll take Artie burns's spot I guess. Need 10 other's

4. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Dibs on Artie's side. I also can act like I did something meaningful after tackling the receiver, whom I left wide open, 30 yards downfield.

5. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    Maybe u me and the 9 other ppl from this board can celebrate and take a team pic in the endzone after we make 1 good play out of 10 bad ones

6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    All 11 guys and the entire coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'd try Matthew Thomas in for Vince Williams.

Not really a benching, but I'd have Washington on the field more as well.

Likewise, while I wouldn't bench Connor, I'd use Ridley and Samuels more in the mix.

And I'd stop running draw plays from the shotgun, and use Rosie Nix more.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    With the 8m cap after bells absence, why not pick up bowman now and rotate him in with ilb, could pick up more depth too. Need to try somethin!

9. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    As a limey I know next to nothing about this x and o business you chaps go on about..so put me down as DC as i will be an instant upgrade

• Like Like x 1
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Not much you can do at this point. I would like to see Matthew Thomas get a few reps at inside linebacker.

But, many around here see Matthew Thomas ( an undrafted free agent mind you) as the second coming of our lord and savior.

I mean that how bad this defense is really.

When fans are calling for the undrafted guys, it's hit rock bottom.

11. Smitch89

Sep 11, 2018
    If u had a ham sandwich for lunch u can put that ham sandwich as d coordinator and it would be an upgrade

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Matt Thomas

Get this kid in the mix. Why has he not been given a chance? Throw him in a package or two from time to time.

Vince is hurt. We might not have much choice now.

It also doesn't help the entire secondary is injured it seems.

I still think the biggest problem is that there is confusion and that the defense is just on on the same page. I think they have players and athletes, but have not been able to put it altogether.

So it'd kind of hard for me to not look directly at the defensive coordinator for answers to why there is so much confusion in the secondary.

And are pass rush is lacking. Not sure about the answer there at the moment. It's weak and easily neutralized.

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    On D I would bench Davis and Edmunds and go Single High with DHB . I would move Artie to the slot and try and trade for a starting outside CB ...This would give us another player in the Box to blitz and it would give us speed on the back end..

On O I would use more big Spreads with 12 personnel.. Use those big TE'S in trips and Quads and break out a fancy screen game with the use of the fake screen wheel and slant screens ..Plus I would run reverses from those same sets and run Mcdonald on reverse Powers and motion inside traps ..

I would also get a Dobbs package going and use him in short yardage and the QB waggle game ....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Nothing will improve unless the coaching is different, game preparation is meaningful, and communication on the filed is better. The talent on the filed to me is sufficient but they are not lead or prepared like other teams are. Hard to believe we can draft offensive talent but not defense. Used to be we sucked in away games but now home field is just as bad (there is zero home field advantage now). God only knows what the cure is for this start to the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :roflmao:

The rest of this post had some sensible changes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I had a old boss who used to say "Those that say it can't get any worse, lack imagination"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would offer 2 first round picks for Jaylen Ramsey

After they say no. I would offer a 1st rounder and Artie Burns for Patrick Peterson. This one might have some legs.

I would also try to swing a trade for Kelvin Benjamin with Buffalo. Not that WR is a need.. but shouldn't cost much and with his size.... something that Ben has asked for and not been given...i feel he could go up and get some contested passes on 3rd down and red zone

HACK

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No other team is trying to sign Bowman, maybe that's a hint.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelers football knowledge>your football knowledge

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As I have told you multiple times over, the personnel is there to run the 4-3. Even made a thread about it.

To assume that neither Cameron Heyward nor Stephon Tuitt could become efficient defensive tackles is the equivalent of assuming James Washington cannot become a major contributor as the season wears on; comical.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I say we hire the refs for the Ravens game and just go with 12 players on the field.

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think we found our replacement for Mike Tomlin

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Get Thomas on the field on third downs, put VW on the bench he's not good in coverage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Joey, what do you think of the players on this defense?

joey-porter-shirt-off.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I can manage a clock better thats for sure ...We have talent on O so we must not be putting them in good situations ..

All can see we have very little talent at Safety , esp on deep balls our Cover 2 is a waste of 2 Defenders ...Might as well walk them down in the box and blitz them instead of what we are doing ....