1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Eagles have interest in Le'Veon Bell, Steelers open to trading him for Earl Thomas

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Sep 30, 2018.

1. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Eagles have interest in Le'Veon Bell, Steelers open to trading him for Earl Thomas
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...steelers-open-to-trading-him-for-earl-thomas/

"The Philadelphia Eagles are among the teams with interest in Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell, league sources said, and while no trades are close or imminent, and there would be obstacles to overcome, Howie Roseman is among the more aggressive and creative general managers in the NFL."

"The Jets and 49ers have also made exploratory calls …"

Are the 49ers looking for another young QB or Bell?

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well that just ruined my Sunday morning. Living among Eagle fans is a nightmare for me with them being SB Champs. Them getting Bell would be torture for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Living in Texas I wouldn’t care if he went to philly but yeah I feel you lol.

Bell for Thomas!

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah I'd never hear the end of it from the Eagles fans I know. Of course the jokes on them if he bellows up and disappears from the stage in 2-3 years as I expect.

I'd be happy to see the Steelers something for Bell and drop off the drama.

He still is yet to sign the tag; however, and I still don't see him doing so until the trade deadline has passed. The exception would be if he is communicating with the Steelers on where he'd be willing to play. Free agency gives him the open market as well as being able to choose which team he wants to play for.

Whatever team that gets him will be in the exact same position as the Steelers minus a draft pick or whatever they decide to trade for him. They'll essentially be getting a one year rental with priority dibs on offering him his long-term contract with no guarantees he'll agree to it.

5. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I’m 150% down for this. Let’s do it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Count me out for Thomas. Seems like we would be trading one problem for another. Any guy who holds his team hostage like that is a guy I don't want here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  9. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know, one head case for another doesn't seem like a good idea but damn, that talent in our secondary? We haven't had that in a long time.

If it happens, you'd just have to hope that a change of scenery would make him happy.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah sounds like he feels disrespected by the Seahawks front office and the way they are handling the negotiations for an extension. I'd think he wouldn't hold that against a new team.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree about the talent part. But at this point I will pass on talent in order to clean up the locker room. Are the Steelers going to give Thomas a contract that will make him happy? If they don't get ready for 20 page threads where FootballAnalyst98 defends Earl Thomas's doucebaggery.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They have a stable of good running backs, maybe that second year Running back
    from Wisconsin could be moving over to the Western part of the state.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'll believe this when I see it. This is a pipe dream. Unfortunately, the Steelers have made their bed and they are stuck with the cancer that is Bell until March of 2019.

Earl Thomas and a 2nd round pick? HAHAHAHAHA

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I would be happy with just a good, not elite, DB at this point for Bell.

17. Hoot

Hoot Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2018
    as others said, opening bid. Anything over a 3rd rounder in 2 years is more than they get by keeping him.

That said, the other two parties involved have limited incentive. Bell has no incentive to play more than 6 games and no incentive to play in those games in any way that might risk him ahead of FA - testing the market is what he clearly wants to do. For a team trading for him, they have to deal with cap space and the strong likely hood of Bell not resigning with them at the end of the year - i.e., a rental who may not even try hard. Any GM who pulls that deal better have a good realtor because there is a good chance it may well get him run out of town.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I mean...

- Oakland, rather Jon Gruden, traded Khalil Mack to the Bears for a kings ransom.

- Kansas City sent their 27th pick of 2017, their third round pick and their first round pick in 2018 to Buffalo for Patrick Mahomes

- Jimmy Graham was dealt to Seattle in trade for Max Unger and the 31st pick in 2015.

In short? Teams will trade players for players for a price they deem worthy. Earl Thomas is no different. Seattle has been listening to offers much like Pittsburgh has. If that is the best offer they can achieve in addition to one being worthy enough to warrant a trade, the deal will be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015

Earl Thomas will want guaranteed money and 4+ years like Bell wants. Will the Steelers pay? I don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Given how little time we have with Ben, if this are likely to be his last few years, maximizing those chances with an impact player like Thomas will make the road to the Super Bowl a bit easier than without.

Pittsburgh will have plenty of cap space come next season to deal with Thomas. He will likely get his money then. Assuming all this happens, that leaves Joe Haden the odd man out; his cap hit will instead go to Thomas' pay day.

In short? Assuming all of this happens, cornerback will be an even greater focus than it already is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Defense wins Championships.

22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I doubt it. Steelers made a mistake and are trying to get rid of it but it's too late. Bell is likely holding out until week 10.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I for one want Haden retained. He is only 29 and the best corner they have. Signed through next season, just extend him which will lower the cap hit. Imagine him not being here...

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    At this point, I’d be pissed if we traded bell for Thomas...

1. He’s 29...
    2. He’s looking at another big time contract

3. the fact that a 2nd, first, fifth, and a FA has been spent in that position and we still find the need to sign another costly player...
    If we traded and signed Thomas, majority perception has to be they severely whiffed at those positions...or lack confidence that these players will ever be what they had hoped.

why did we sign Burnett? Cuz he has a history of injury and is old and so far he’s living up to his reputation ...never liked the signing...

It’s clear Davis was picked way too high, and Edwards has been ok, but I’d argue his production could be had by a player in the second round. This is just one more example of scouting, development, and ineptness in following the ultra athletic player over players that have shown production and merit in the top rounds of the draft...

If we are gonna acquire help, look at CB, OLB, or ILB! If we are going to trade and pay a big contract to a player, get Clowney; Bell and a 2nd or 3rd in an attempt to get a young developed impact player. We will have the cap space and can use future first round resources on ILB or CB...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no idea of the contract status for Thomas, but Bell isn't holding anyone hostage. He's not under contract. He doesn't have to play for a dollar figure he sees as low or a term he sees as not appropriate for his production/talent. Yeah the Steelers offer was high, but it was low in guarantees compared to Gurley. Bell deserves at least as much as Gurley.

Bell is a bit of an idiot, but not because he refuses to sign the tag. That's his right under the CBA, just like the Steelers could cut half their players tomorrow and not owe them anything. It works both ways.