1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers simplifying defensive game plan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Sep 20, 2018.

1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It sounds small, but this could pay really big dividends. I know there are legit issues with the defense, but communication fixes would be massive.

2. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    If you have to simplify a game plan then your going back to preseason level of play. Sad the defense which was know as shut down now has to dumb it down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Simplifying a cookie cutter defense? They were in cover 2 zone most of the game. Watch at some point Watt, Williams, or Dupree will be lined up on D Jax LOL

5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    No let opponent score football touchdown.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    shouldn't the playbook be more intensive as the year progresses. What do they always say, "those who can't do, teach". Well here it seems to be, "those who can't teach, simplify". I bet it hurts Haden's ego to even announce that.

I have to think getting your concepts across to the players is a very basic fundamental of NFL coaching. All 11 players on this defense are not moron's. The miscommunication on defense is not when the players are on the field but when they are in the meeting room. Butler is the ringleader of this mess and something needs to change. And it's not playing one gap, cover 3 for the next 14 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Do what ya got to do to try and get results of some sort yeesh!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This. I'm certainly no expert, but it seemed like they were already playing a pretty vanilla defense. Why do they need to simplify it more? How do they even do that? They're already running the same blitzes back to back.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this as a positive.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If that's the case I have the perfect Defense ....Assign all pass catchers a # this week in practice and assign each Defender to a # ....IF your # is on the field you have him in man coverage if not you can do 1 of 3 things.. #1 Drop and play a deep zone .. #2 Double the guy who is the fastest on the field ... #3 Or Blitz the QB from wherever you want ....

Now no calls need to be made just play ball ....

10. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    I don't think the scheme is the main problem. We simply don't have the athletes who are fast/strong/agile enough to cover NFL players. Look at our ILBs for example - Bostic, VW, Dirty Red...slow as molasses. Shazier was the only guy with NFL + athleticism.

I think low Wonderlic guys like Artie and Bud might benefit from saying "hey cover that one guy" and "just try to tackle the quarterback" so they don't "underestimate" their opponents.

11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We must have some real Einsteins on that D

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The KC game was the perfect storm. They were worried about Hunt beating them on the ground and someone got them really worried about Hill running free. You go back and watch they stay in a base look because Hill and Hunt are in. Then Dupree drops into coverage under HI'll and Bostic is late picking up Kelce on the seam and guys just spin out there like its knob hockey or foosball. Guys just weren't sure who there man was, what the threat was where to be and got clobbered. Butler should have overloaded the right and played zone behind it and tight man on the left to force him to hurry his throws to the left on check downs

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    :facepalm:

14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Where's this "seminole's package"? Need to get Matt Thomas on the field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If simplifying the defense is going to assist the team, then will the likes of Matthew Thomas see an increased snap count?

For that matter, what about the "Dollar Package"?

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Do that or use Terrell Edmunds as a dime 'backer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :hmm:......hmmm! Where have I heard this BS before? Oh that's right....only every single year since Butler took over. They said they were gonna simplify the D when Lebeau retired so they can get young players on the field sooner. After the NE debacle in the playoffs a few years back they said they were gonna simplify it to help communication. After the Jax game we heard about the same communication issues ,when it was painfully obvious that the team was not properly and fully prepared by the coaches.In the off season they went out and brought in 2 " great" communicators and promised some sort of "hybrid " defense that was gonna take the world by storm. Now we're full circle back to the simplification of the D....

When a whole classroom of students appear to be all dumb. The odds are against that and it's time to start looking at the teachers and how the students are being taught....I don't think it's coincidence that almost every single player we have on defense is regressing or not really getting any better. When our draft picks and new players get here we see some sort of promise and potential and try to look ahead to what they can become after a couple of seasons. The " next step" always seems to be backwards and some people claim the players have no talent and want to throw the baby out with the bath water. Well I think it's time to change the water....its stagnant,it's dirty and it stinks....

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This is why preseason games are important and these things iron out then instead of game 3 in the regular season. :facepalm:

19. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I know everyone hates Butler right now and it's hard to blame anyone given what we've seen since Shazier got hurt. However, the defense had been steadily improving each year under Butler prior to Shazier's injury and still finished the year with the best rankings in years. We have to hope he has some idea what he is doing and can get things straightened out. Maybe this is a step in the right direction. With the way the defense looked last week a step in any direction has to help you would think. At least they are trying something.

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our best defense is drops and stupidity on opposition

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Which is why it's unfortunate Winston is still suspended for this week. He's usually good for one, "what was he thinking?" play per game

• Like Like x 1
  22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think the players have plenty of athleticism. I think the main problem is they have world class athleticism but no feel for the game or football instincts whatsoever.

Burns, Davis, Edmunds, and Dupree all crushed the combine, but their college tape was average at best and sometimes abysmal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Exactly right. Kind of like the Al Davis philosophy that ran the Raiders into the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    They've been saying the same thing for years about simplifying and fixing communication issues.....No?
    Last years rankings are totally skewed by the QBs we ended up facing. The sack totals were as well. I don't recall the numbers but plenty of those sacks came from feasting on the Browns and the Texans I believe it was. Not only that but Dupree admitted that players shunned all responsibilities of the defense to go after the sack record in the last game....who does that and thinks it's ok with playoffs in 2 weeks. I don't know I think our time could of been better spent working on other things. You guys keep making the mistake of thinking this is something new or since Shazier went down,it's been the same issues for years.
    There have been a few articles written about how painfully predictable our D is by a guy basically watching film from his moms basement. No offense to AK I think he does a great job bringing these details to our attention. Can you imagine how some of these pro coordinators are dissecting this scheme? Notice how our blitz using Hilton has been rendered useless? Butler has had his time to put his stamp on this defense and all we keep hearing about is....now we're gonna do this and that. The same things they've been promising for years....

• Like Like x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Our best defense is hoping for mistakes or penalties.....to which we lead the league.
    Our second best defense is underestimating the other teams intelligence....then we give them all the answers.
    Our third best is trying to create confusion....except we are the one's confused.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2