1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What would you have done if you were MT?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AFan, Sep 19, 2018.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    sit AB vs Tampa , or let it slide with a petty fine?

It would have been very ballsy to make AB inactive Monday nite, and I'm not sure I'd have done it either. But not addressing the issue ensures more AB drama going fwd.

2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Bench him for the 1st drive. Probably score too since Ben can read the coverage and throw to whoever is open instead of keeping the business boomin.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I'd sit him the first half. If he does it again need done for 2 games

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'd tell him he can go Twitter bananas if he scores 3 TD's and feed him the ball from the get go.

Best chance on winning is with him on the field and involved.

5. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Tomlin isn't stupid. Playing AB the whole game drastically increases the Steelers chance to win, salvage the season and prevent him from being fired.

If AB is benched for any amount of time and the Steelers lose, dropping them to 0-2-1 with the Ravens upcoming the rest of the team, ownership and fans may revolt.

Tomlin will save his own skin and the best way to do that is to try to win and playing AB helps that cause.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Sitting AB for a series, a quarter or a half doesn't send a msg. It may make some fans happy, but doesn't remotely signal to AB or the rest of the team that there are consequences to his behavior.

You can play AB on Monday 'cuz you gotta win. But you're telling AB that he is free to beef about Jujus catches and throw tantrums on the sideline the rest of the year. Adult control has been abandoned. Hey, it could still work!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I would ban his photographer, heard he has as much access as the players!!!!! Now that would send a message to AB and not hurt anyone cause let's face it AB not on the field only helps the other team!

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    AB screwed up, put Tomlin in a very bad position but he can use this to right the ship. You have to bench AB. You have to. If you want to send a message that you are accountable for your actions, bench the best player on the team. If he doesn't, not sure they will turn this season around. Tomlin needs to get control of his players.

No more spouting off to the media about each other. Give reporters the most boring soundbites, it's their job to get juicy stories, don't fall for it.
    No more discussions about Bell, when they ask, say we're focused on the players that are here. Bell will get her when he gets here.
    No more sideline tantrums.
    No more controversial tweets.
    No more talking about future opponents with a game to be played.
    No more talking trash outside an opponents locker room (at least that clown is gone).
    Sure as **** no more not showing up for work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

I think you're right, but Tomlin didn't bench him, and aside from armed robbery it's getting hard to see what AB would gave to do to get benched.

We can look fwd to a season where AB pouts every game Juju out stats him or Ben over throws him. Tomlin has assured it.

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree however I highly doubt he benches him at all.

11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This. A half sends a strong message. Half of a game in the NFL is a lot of football.

12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Welcome to the dark side Tomlin Era...I mean Blast. lol

I think half a game will accomplish the same thing though, but who knows. We're not in the locker room to truly see how bad things are. It does seem like tomlin has no control though

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    He would have been fined half a games Pay Check and I would bench him for the first half. Would let the team know this does not flay and if he does it again or anyone else they will be made inactive for the week and fined full game pay.

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I also would have marched him out at practice in front of the whole team and have him apologize to them. It's a public act of penance and allows everyone to acknowledge and move on

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Paradox,

This whole board gripes about the teams lack of discipline and how Tomlin tolerates it.

But here's a thread that asks what would you do if you were Tomlin regarding disciplining one of his most selfish players, and almost nobody want to do anything to him.

Apparently discipline means nailing Coty Sensabaughs or. Tyler Matochovichs ass to the floor boards. Make an example out of them. But, if you're more valuable, wrist slap will suffice.

It would seem, despite vehement protests to the contrary, that Tomlin's application of discipline is consistent with fans desires.

• Like Like x 2
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I believe most think that disciplinin Brown is one thing, cutting off your nose to spite your face something entirely different.

17. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I think there's more to it than just that.

With LB, there's no doubt most folks on here are fine with sitting him for the season or at least most of it, and to some extremes trading him/cutting him - but that's only because Conner appears ready to take up the slack.

With AB, sure we have JuJu - but beyond that? Not really in any realistic capacity at this time - and with no AB, they double/triple cover JuJu and we're seriously handicapped at that point.

The difference of getting rid of a cancer that we have a replacement for vs. getting rid of a major producer with no replacement.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Coach benched Bryant for a game last season (I can't remember why, tweet maybe), it obviously sent no message.

19. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    At last check, Bryant ain't AB - never was, never will be.

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's not the point.

21. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    I got the point - send a message. But a lot of folks are balking at sitting him even for a half because of the detriment to the team's performance/ability to win. Benching MB for a game, 2 games, 16 games - whatever - is not the same as benching AB for 1/2. And no one on the team would think so either because of AB's value to this team - thus, benching MB and not getting the message is not the same as benching AB.

22. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Utter bull crap. If he gets off with a slap on the wrist I would say the fans will revolt. Coddled much?

So are we now saying win at all costs?

A message needs to be sent. I would say a minimum of sitting the first half if he had a decent excuse. One game if he blew the team off. I would dress him and make him sit and watch his teammates. No deactivation in street clothes.

That is the way it should work for anyone on the team. Everyone should be treated equally and punished equally no matter how good they are. A message needs to be sent. Tomlin helped create this monster and now he needs to kick it in the butt.

Personally, I'd rather see him sit, in uniform and the Steelers lose than to just let him play. A fine is bogus to someone making millions a year. What's a thousand to him? Chump change.

Furthermore, Tomlin should also put a stake in the ground and make it known this social media thing will have consequences within the locker room.

rutan

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Whatever happened to running laps?

Hell we'd be forced to run laps for jumping offsides.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It absolutely did. MB was a model citizen after that. Didn't act up once, just kept his nose to the grindstone.

25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Well...Tomlin did say SOMETHING...My guess is he knows this team is in trouble/ and the window is closing/ critics are coming rapidly...

My guess is this...If anything more happens from AB, He will then be FORCED to do SOMETHING...

Like a few posters have stated...Tomlin has a much greater chance of winning WITH AB...It has been laid out, and talked about...

Now he has to cross his fingers and hope he shapes up...or imo this will basically go from nothing...to something very big quickly!