1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the mechanics of the Bell holdout ending?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Does Bell just show up some Saturday and say to whomever is there “I’m ready to sign the tender!”. What if Kevin Colbert is at a family gathering and unavailable? I’d make him wait in a waiting room for a couple of hours, at least, even if everyone needed was there. Since no one seems to be talking, I was just curious how these kinds of things are actually arranged.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I imagine his agent would call Colbert and notify him. He has to show up by 4pm on Sat to be eligible to play that week. All he has to do is show up and sign. Which isn't going to be this week either.

3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    As blast mentioned..... but let’s throw in a pre employment drug screen. This will go on every Saturday until he signs.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Bell's calling his agent right now. "Wait...I'm losing money? I thought that money was guaranteed!" :lollmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Seriously though, what a mess. What a waste.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Here is how it should work:
    Kevin: Hey Le'von, how's the family? Now I realize with your 3.9 College degree you are in high demand for corporate America or working at a car wash. Since you're the greatest thing since screen doors I'll work hard to get you a few more million.

Le'von: Don't sweat it Kevin, Coach Mike said he will lend me a few bucks since he can see I'm a team player and my goal is nothing short of helping this team win a Super Bowl. Money be damned I want to bring #7 to Pittsburgh.

Kevin: Fans are going to love you more then they already do.

GO STEELERS!!!!!!

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of you take this stuff too personally. If he can help us win, then I'll gladly welcome him back come week 10 and him and the Steelers can part ways in the off season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Its'not personal he is selfish and is worried about his touches and his amount of contact ..He cares nothing for his Team or his Mates ..He is a bum...They should just cut his butt and move on..

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It is a terrible situation without question. The issue is not the player nor the team but the "Law of the Land."

Le'Veon Bell is at the mercy of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Within the same circumstance though, Pittsburgh is at the mercy of Article 46.

In short? Both sides lose and there really is no clear cut winner. I do wish that Le'Veon would have enacted better in this situation though.

10. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Why cut an asset that is currently costing nothing and can help us greatly in our playoff run? He's one of the best RB's in the league, it would be a very stupid business and football decision to cut him. The only reason to cut him is emotion. There's no sound football or business reason to cut him.

I don't care if he is selfish and worried about his touches. That will all be irrelevant when he reports and provides us with another weapon.

Here's a question. What happens if we cut him and Connor gets hurt come week 12? Or what happens if we cut him and the Patriots or Ravens sign him?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. Both sides are acting appropriately based on the CBA, but neither side is currently winning, although I'm sure Bell feels like he is by avoiding injury. My opinion is that his value is only going down and if he shows up week 10 and gets little playing time, gets hurt or doesn't play well due to being rusty, then he won't get that big deal next year. Bell isn't a very intelligent man, we all already knew that, but that's not uncommon in this league. He's clearly making a stupid decision that I think will hurt him in the end, but at the same time, he's doing nothing wrong based on the "law of the land" as you put it, so I have no ill will towards him. What I want is for him to provide us with another weapon whenever he does report. God knows we need all the help we can get if we want to beat the Pats

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't want him back if Conner is still playing like he did week 1. What a **** show that will be. Do they just hand Bell his starting job week 10 after he quit on his teammates?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Why is it a **** show? It's another weapon. I have no idea what Tomlin will do because I can't make sense of anything Tomlin does, but if Connor continues to play like he did week 1, then I'm sure he'll get the majority of the snaps. Even if Bell did get his job back, he'd either need to perform better than Connor has or I'm sure Tomlin would eventually put Connor back in. Or perhaps we use both of them. Lets not forget the goal is to win a SB not worry about who gets more snaps or who is the better teammate

Lets say we don't bring him back and Connor gets hurt, what then?

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't think that will disrupt the locker room? I sure do. Look what his teammates said when he didn't report. The animosity will only grow with each week he isn't here and Conner is.

Are you going to tell me that if Ben missed 6 games do to injury and Mason or Dobbs was playing lights out you'd welcome Ben back? You of all people should know how it is rooting for people you dont like. You'd dump Ben and Tomin in a hot minute if you could.

15. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I would dump Tomlin, not Ben. We need Ben to win. With that said, if Ben missed 10 games and Dobbs played lights out, then of course I would want Dobbs to continue to play, but I would want Ben back as an insurance policy. You don't rotate QB's the same way you do RB's so it's a bit different, but I absolutely would want Ben back for insurance. If Ben caused problems in the locker room, then I would send his ass home. The same applies to Bell. If Bell causes issues, then I'd send him home. By all accounts though, Bell is a great teammate in the locker room. He apparently even called Connor and said some nice things after his week 1 performance.

All I'm saying is there's no reason at this time to not want him back. If he gives us a reason after he reports, then yes, send him home. You don't cut him though and give him to an opponent

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You don't understand Team work obviously ....He can't help because his Team Mates do not agree with his hold out and they are not going to risk injury to open lanes for a selfish RB... Also you miss the fact that Bell will not risk injury or carry a heavy load so he can make his big payday ....

The bottom line is if the game is on the line and you need a yard Bell will not fight for it ..There will be no run when Bell gets back...This Team will follow Bells lead and go all me and thus the end of the Team for the season...

If the Steelers have any hope of a good season they need to cut Bell and unify the Team ASAP....

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree that they can't cut him. I would think there is a team out there willing to give up a 3rd rd pick for him, same as the comp that they will get but hopefully a 2nd rd instead. I'd do a 2nd for sure.

The injury concern is a valid point, keep him around for insurance but he'd be getting minimal reps, just enough to keep him ready if needed. Spell Conner here and there. This guy is putting himself before the team and they know it. I honestly don't know how he walks back into that locker room at this point. Would be different had his teammates never said what they did.

18. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Maybe when he comes back the first game the O line gives him the longest Yard treatment and just lets the defense t off on him for a couple of plays. I think he's earned it

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Reps or no reps.... bell is shooting himself in the foot by holding out. He can’t get any other deal except the franchise offer..... and other teams aren’t going to be interested in signing a cancer next year. Funny, he doesn’t realize that he’ll be playing a partial season for about $6m.... and losing $8.5m by holding out. But, again... he’s the product of Groveport Ohio and Michigan State.... so it’s not surprising he lacks smarts

20. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I've played, coached and watched sports my whole life. I've played at high levels. I fully understand team work and what you're saying is absolutely ridiculous. That will not happen. Will the Oline let someone tee off on him once to send a message? Maybe, but that's it. They won't let it keep happening because they are professionals and they want to win. Bell will fight for every yard once he dresses because he wants to win and he wants to get paid next year. There's never been an issue of Bell giving less than 100% on the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The only positive I can see is if Bell whenever he reports uses whatever games he has left to try and make a impression on his next possible team. He has damaged his reputation almost beyond repair but if he can come back and show he is worth a investment from some other team that's would be the best way to go about it for himself and a future contract...
    If after everything that has happened so far he doesn't come out and prove himself his list of suitors willing to break the bank for him will be greatly diminished..l

22. dmb219

dmb219 Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Bell is a loser. He has shown that to the Steelers and the NFL. He has no concern for anyone but himself and isn't doing very well at that. The black and gold deserve better. The Steelers don't need or want anyone like him. Good riddance. I'm serious - I'd rather see them have a losing season than kiss his greedy smart ass holier than thou butt. I'm not usually so opinionated or intense but I can't help it on this subject. If he plays with the Steelers I'll not be watching. Another poster referred to him as a cancer. I'd say that's an accurate description.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I was right about Bell back in February. Should have let him go into free agency and use the franchise money on Khalil Mack. Watt and Mack would be best OLBs since Lloyd and Greene.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Oh man you got me juiced with that scenario. Could you imagine? And imagine we will...

The issue if he comes back week 10 no team is going to trade for him. And he and his agent knows it. They are looking for the 17 next season, he comes back and is used accordingly. I hope Connor just keeps churning along, great effort last week sans the fumble. We know Bell is self absorbed and wants to be the catalyst for running backs who are used significantly in the pass game to get more money. So he will get his first and then teams will have to decide if this record setting price tag is worth keeping the player. The Steelers have decided.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

It costs us nothing, but helps us next year. Every week he sits out is another 800k+ in salary cap relief next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1