1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

rpo's

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Sep 13, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ben was talking about this being new to him and he is trying to get used to the speed of it with different receivers. from the tape i saw, im not sure he has the run part down as an option. he seems so focused on getting the slant pass to the quick receiver (AB) that the run part is just a fake and not really part of that play. he said juju's completion was better timed for him to complete.

now lets go to him sitting out practice as a vet day off as he calls it. does this really help him with the timing he says he has to get used too? shouldn't he be practicing this if he is struggling with it? i know he's been used to that vet day off during the week but c'mon man. MT, step in. when ben doesn't practice during the week he isn't very good the next game. we opened with a clunker so..........

:cool:

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don’t know how it could be new to him since we ran them fairly frequently the last couple years.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Correct, they ran it a lot at the beginning of the season but then went away from it, according to a report I read.

Ben played like crap, he's making excuses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If it's something they went away from last year, perhaps it is just something he doesn't like running. He struggled quite a bit early last season, the played better as the season went on. Perhaps running less RPO was part of the improvement?

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014

THISX1000

I think it's safe to say Steeler Nation is on to him lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I found the article, good read. It's not much about the Steelers, more about RPO's.

But when the Steelers did run it, they were effective at it. No explanation for why Haley lost interest in running it.

If Fichtner is putting his own spin on it, that could be part of why Ben struggled. I still think it's mostly rust even know Ben doesn't call it rust.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...n-the-steelers-new-offense-randy-fichtner-nfl

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Works pretty well for Philadelphia.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Ravens experiment with Jackson, the wildcat and RPO on Thursday definitely did not though.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Flacco lining up at wr is not going to fool many people. He didn't even take a step that play.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    All you have to do is focus on the unibrow....it will tell you exactly what the play is...

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will get it soon enough I hope ....The key is making the best read for each play ..Either play can and should still be good ...The key on the pass option is knowing which pass option is best and after that the best ball placement...For example if a D is in man the best option is probably the first window, this helps the WR get it quick and hopefully cut up between the Safety.. The next read is against zones so if the LB has middle zone then your looking for window 2 with a low throw ...Gain 4 or 5 and move on...The next read is a zone blitz read where a LB is blitzing from the run side this is where the QB waits for the 3rd. window allowing the WR to get leverage on both or the single high Safety position..Meaning across the formation looking for the sideline ....

I could try to explain how the backside running plays should dictate the window reads, but there are so many possible defenses it would be very hard to explain so peeps could understand...So to keep it simple as Ben is learning he needs to learn what window is the best window and when in doubt use the run option..This is how we taught our guys and IMO it is the best way to teach the concept...

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With the elbow injury this week I could understand. Your 100% correct for any other week though
    I mean c' mon basically he's asked to drop back and throw the ball. There is very little if any concern of being hit so I don't see what the harm is in trying to get as much time as possible to fix the timing issues. How many Wednesday's does he left in his career? He should be using every opportunity he gets to be at his and the teams best. I think Ben has a strong desire to win but he's not obsessed with winning like some of the others.