1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Conner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Heck yeah. Give him the rock!

93.0%
  2. No, we'll find him in the 2019 draft

7.0%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Bell never fumbles!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The fumble was a huge mistake, one that Bell rarely makes, but clearly the absence of Bell wasn't the main issue Sunday. Conner got the job done.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I hope the kid finishes the season doing exactly what he is doing today.. leading the league in rushing:steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Richardson in college was a UNANIMOUS ALL AMERICAN, won the chip, and won the doak walker award as the best college rb something none of those guys I mentioned did. Try again.

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lol DEZ? Dez was no longer last ye considered an elite threat. Watch the tape they were ONE on ONE single covering dez with their 2nd and 3rd corners. He was a shell of himmself lol he led the nfl and drops and was like 20th in catches while being like number 5 in targets. He was garbage last yr and lmao last yr Zeke led the nfl IN YARDS PER GAME. The only reason he wasnt pro bowl or anything was because he was suspended 6 games and he still had close to 1000 yds. Try again.

6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Completely agree. Only guy in history to led the nfl in rushing with a oline that ranked last in run blocking efficiency.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    This interview, even more than his performance on Sunday, makes me 100% all in on Conner being our starter going forward.

He had a hell of a day and was still upset because the team didn't win. That just goes to show that this is a "team first" kind of guy.

He has the same great mentality just like when he was going through chemotherapy and still showing up to practice. James Conner is our future and he will continue to improve with time and training.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    You're such a truther and wet blanket Mac. Stop it. You're going to make what's his name cry! ;)

9. bhandsome08

bhandsome08 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Had a good game minus the fumble. Probably wouldn't want him touching the ball as much again. He looked gas in the 3rd quarter. But that falls onto the coaches. What's the point in carrying multiple RBs if you aren't gonna use them

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Lol

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. If I remember what I heard this morning correctly, he was on the field for 77 out of 80 plays. That just wasn't necessary.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yep 6 games he let his team down. he also had more carries per game if you are going to cherry pick. :cool:

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He was 5'9 230. Not alot of great RBs with that frame.

He ran behind a great Alabama Oline who fed him the ball all year.

He was not a dynamic runner at all. He took what the Alabama Oline gave him.

He won alot of awards and went high in the draft, albeit to the Browns but obviously in hindsight that was a disastrous decision. Way overrated.

Richardson never had the buzz or dynamic abilities of a Zeke, Gurley or Barkley.

Getting back to our actual disagreement - Bell was not a great college back. He was too heavy. He was slow. He got bottled up by any good college defense.

He only blossomed into the star he is today when he shed 25 lbs and beca me quicker. Connor's sophomore year was better than anything Bell had accomplished in college. Then the kid had the heart to come back from cancer and an injury.

Bell has no heart.

I'll ride with Conner from here on out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

Calm down, it was one game and merely a suggestion on tried and true good practices on Polls.
    Your world, want a tree paint a tree. :sword:

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know many Steelers fans hate Bell now, but no heart? I don't see that. Now if you had questioned his intelligence, I'd be right there with you.

I just wonder how this goes when Bell returns. Tomlin loves putting the load on one back, but that seems like it would be a mistake with Conner's development. They also give defenses a different look. Conner showed patience on some runs, but he is more of a one-cut back than Bell. Mixing them up could be effective. So could using them together, either split or with one in the slot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa, I'm going to paint that tree and get excited :herewego:

There was nothing wrong with the poll, sounds a little anal :shrug:

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Wasnt his fault. He was railroaded by the nfl. How is he found not guilty but then the nfl still suspends him? And lol he didnt lead the nfl in attempts per game try again.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Yeah and they were clamoring for him pre draft. He sucks in hindsight now because he was one of the all time busts. Who cares who was better than who in college? You know how many guys was better than ab in college. Tom brady in college. Joe montana in college. That doesn't mean anything it's about what you do on the nfl level. Of course their are some talents that look at like wow but connor is not one of them. He is just a downhill runner with some speed. No moves, no phone booth quickness, no shiftiness. He can run through gaping holes like almost any running back in the nfl and he does run hard but he does nothing special. You like most of steeler nation are riding with Conor off of pride and dignity.

19. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I don't know. Firstly I might have to disagree with your college assessment. Bell was the offense in Michigan State. He carried that team. In college, its not a stretch to say he was B.M.O.C. I believe it was unfair to Conner to over play him, he was exhausted late in the game, I would have put in Samuels and would have grabbed him by the jersey and tell him in his ear hole to not fumble and then let him go play, thats what I would have done.

20. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Conner was great Sunday.

Hit the hole fast, was decisive with his cuts, and finished his runs with gusto.

Looked very natural and comfortable catching the ball, and I didn't see any glaring mistakes in pass protection.

With this Oline in place I'm very happy with him as the feature back going forward. Not sure we can trust Bell to play hard when he comes back, but if we could they'd make a dynamic 1-2 punch going into the post season.

Bell with fresh legs heading into the playoffs could be awesome.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, he's not one of them but he did save the world from terminators.

Conner looks really good though. Time will tell.

22. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    All I am saying is that to me, Conner was a better college RB than Bell. We can disagree on that but Bell was taken #48. Not like he was a can't miss prospect. He was a big back who wasn't that fast who was criticized for running east-west too much rather than down hill.

Bell made a big transition in Year 2 with the Steelers.

Had Conner not had cancer and the knee injury alot of people thought he could have been a 1st round pick. I think Conner came out of college with even more tools than Bell.

I'm not saying Conner IS better than Bell right now. But I don't think it's unreasonable with his heart and work ethic that he can get there.

And yes one of my arguments all along has been we have a terrific Oline who make any RB look good. So why give a guy 15M+ when a much cheaper RB can get similar production?

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have told all of you he can play from the very beginning when I suggested he would look good in
    black and gold. Is he Levean Bell maybe not. But he and Ridley and new draftee can form
    a nice formidible running game to compliment our passing attack.

• Like Like x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    As you well know I was one of the very few that was on the Bell bandwagon the last 2 off seasons. With that said Conner showed a lot Sunday and the oline played very well for him too. JC hit the holes hard which is a different style of LB and he really finished off his runs. That is what scares me about JC, if he is going to be the lead back how much of that can he handle? I know the Steelers wanted to prove a point but holy cow 31 carries???

JC did a few things that was Bell like imo. One thing I said was LB and Ben had a connection and LB could feel when Ben was in trouble and would slip out for the dump. Well JC did this at least twice that I saw and that was impressive to me. JC did ok as a blocker and will continue to get better. I am very pleased at what I saw from him Sunday but I want to see more before I am ready to hand the keys over to him. With that said I hope LB sits out all 10 games and we move on from him cause at this point in time if you aren't here we don't want ya. jmo

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Dallas in the 90s had arguably and imo the greatest oline ever. Did you see how and those other RBS looked when emmitt held out and Jerry ran to him to pay him? Did you see how some of those RBS looked when they got rid of murray? Or when Zeke was out for 6 games? Of course any runner can run through gaping holes in the NFL I dont care who you are but it's the special game changing plays and abilities that separate the good from great. It's been several average RBS who have had big days int he nfl. This doesnt prove connor is some future top tier guy cause hes not. What about when we play a jax, a balt, a ne etc.. I dont see him having close to that production. And look at his highlights. He is not a shifty guy. He has no moves he is just a power downhill runner with straight line speed. No quickness or elusiveness.