1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TJ Watt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 10, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He looks like he will be the next great Steelers OLB, he had 4 sacks and a blocked FG against the Browns. If he stays healthy he should have double digit sacks this season, which a Steelers OLB haven't had since 2011 :herewego!:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He makes B. Dupree look bad. Out-producing him at Lolb & Rolb.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We need another good OLB to go with Watt. Adeniyi could be the one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    not to mention 4 tackles for loss. Could finally have our next playmaker on defense.

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Keep in mind that Dupree did have a sack and ff himself..... .... I can deal with that each game (16 sacks)..
    What I can't deal with is dupree's poor angles... he clearly needs to be more technically sound

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    When Adeniyi returns from IR, Steelers really need to get him some snaps at ROLB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    good game. no rust from not playing for that kid. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, there were a couple of times where the CBS announce team was giving the Browns tackles high praise for not directing Bud around the pocket. Um, that wasn't the tackle, that was just Bud being Bud.
    To your point though, I don't get it. Dupree has the physical ability. Why he hasn't been able to refine his game at all in 4 years is a head-scratcher.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    TJ is showing he is a special player already leading the league in sacks, so I guess in 2 years instead of giving him a nice contract they will 5th year option him then when that year is up they will franchise tag him to show him their appreciation.......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ahhh, coaching? :shrug: heck one play bud nearly ran out of the back of the EZ on a rush, he was so far up the arc. :facepalm::cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Unfortunately that has been his MO when not being injured of course. Watt outplays him on either side. This is cause for concern as they are going to give him 9 large on a 5th year option.

Watt is already on his way to greatness...

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If Dupree could develop an inside move he could be a monster. With his speed the tackle has to set up for an outside push. If Dupree could develop an inside RIP he would be almost unblockable. Fake out, RIP in, and good bye. I thought he worked on this all off season but I haven't seen it

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've been the biggest Bud detractor all offseason and nobody seemed to want to join me and admit it. Now I see some are starting to come around....
    That being said I thought he played ok yesterday. He showed a little more power in his bull rush and even did a decent job sometimes with his bend. The problem is he doesn't have a plan and his football IQ is pretty bad. There is never a reason to take some of the angles he tries to take. He literally runs himself right out of plays at the snap.
    I don't think he is really ever gonna get it. He's spent 2 years with Chuck Smith and 4 years under Porter,who might not be the best but he knew how to get home as a player ,so he's gotta be able to teach something....and he has Watt that he can pick up on whatever he's doing because the guy is a outright savage on the field. Watt a player....

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    and on the Tyrod Taylor TD run, Dupree ended up all the way over to where the LOLB lined up to start the play. ran a half circle through the backfield to end up at the LOS on the def. left. And Taylor took off to the def. right. MarcoPolo48, circling the field round and round

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dupree got caught inside a few times. He made some plays, but that should happen with an unrestricted rookie free agent starting at tackle against him.

Watt was fantastic. Let's see if he can keep it up.

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As I said leading into the season, Watt has DPOY potential. Moving him over to that side has unlocked more of his talents.

Watt is not the conern here. Bud is. For that matter, I seriously hope Bud can showcase something against Kansas City for Eric Fisher is not the Eric Fisher many of us wrote off. He is not an elite tackle but far better than the UFDA Bud played.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What's James doing this Sunday? :smiley1:

18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Could be? Lol....He's been in the league 5 ****in years

19. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I like him. Good player and imo the best player on the defense.

20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    OK...so how many sacks does WATT need to have a great year now?

He is already at 4...with 15 games to play....does he need at least 1 a game for us as fans to be happy? that would be 19 on the year....if he hits double digits of lets say 12...Normally I would consider that a good year...but that means only 8 more sacks for him in the next 15 games.

HACK

21. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Funny to think of it that way but I was hoping he would get to 12.

But that would mean only 8 sacks over the next 15.

I'm going to go with 14.

22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    16 more barring injury. Probowler for sure and if he hits 20 sacks he's all-pro.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    They can renew his contract in year 4 why put the option on him when he has out played his present contract by a mile by that time, show him they appreciate his all pro status with a new deal in year 4....

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I think you were trying to say they will franchise tag him when he starts acting like a ****ing jackass and demanding to be paid like an olb and fs.

25. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I dont think I mentioned anything about him acting like a jackass, but what I am saying if he out plays his rookie deal in year 4 they should give him a long term deal without the option being used, thats 2 years away in year 20, so if his sack counts stays in double digits and he stays healthy then give him an extension in year 4, that option year is for players who doesnt earn a new contract based on their under performance like Dupree....