1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Conner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Heck yeah. Give him the rock!

93.0%
  2. No, we'll find him in the 2019 draft

7.0%
  1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The fumble aside, big day for JC, very happy for him. :applaud:

I feel very comfortable with him as the lead back. He gave them everything that Bell does sans one, ball security. Among the many things Bell does great, holding onto the football is another one.

Still, I think we have Bells successor, whether Bell plays this year or not, I think JC will be the next lead back toting the rock for the Steelers.

What says you? JC's the man or they will use a high draft pick to find a RB?

• Agree Agree x 9
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I think this young man played very well today, I believe in JC :herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He played well. Downhill runner who doesn’t hesitate

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    JC was great today. My only complaint is that the fumble seemed to freak him out. He was so worried about ball security after that that he wasn't hitting the holes as hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No question.

What a difference a year makes. Glad he has gotten better in not just his pass catching but also pass protection. All he needs now is more experience.

For that matter and, on that note, today was a great learning experience. Any good done today will be more routine. Any bad will be amended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    He's solid. He's a downhill runner but he has no elusiveness or a large array of open field moves. Also not an elite passing threat but he can catch a check down here and there and go with it. In comparison to backs of his style I dont see a saquon or a Zeke and I wasnt sold on saquon before today but he wowed me.

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Never put two answers in one choice in a poll.
    I like Conner but hes not Bell and I doubt we'll find him in the next draft either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    As a college RB, Conner was superior to Bell.

No reason why he can't do everything Bell does at the NFL with a few years under his belt.

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'd love to see us draft a fast, attack the perimeter RB to compliment Conner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    James proved that he belonged. The Fumble hurt, but if it wasn’t for his running who knows where the Steelers had been.

I know he can play I just want to see him stay healthy. That seems to be what holds him back, just stay healthy.

They weren’t afraid to get him in the game plan.

11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Trent Richardson in college was superior to alvin Kamara, todd Gurley, Zeke, leveon, etc... and where is he? Please dont try to use that argument...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Conner did great considering the crappy conditions. Yes the fumble sucked.... but no worse than bens turnovers. And really, we were in position to win.... until the shank left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He did a fine job today along with them not mixing up his carries which still pisses me off... He stays healthy we got a horse but just like with bell, we need others to step in for blows and reps. I appreciated his work ethic... The play calling not so much. It seems regardless of whom the OC is, they're scared to put their foot on the throat and mix up some personnel to keep things going/fresh/not predictable.

This tie could've been worse of course I don't know what a tie will bring down the road as well but it's one game and the field is open. I know not too many things will change but JC didn't leave me for one second missing Bell today... He actually inspired and I hope this team does the same moving forward

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    To answer your last question....they clearly need to draft a RB that can be trusted to carry the ball a couple times in a relief role. Tomlins idiocy to run a RB into the ground every game is mind boggling and stupid.
    I honestly feel Tomlins stubbornness which is displayed too frequently had just a big a part in today's disaster than TOs did. A blind man would of noticed a tentative and gassed RB that needed a break physically and maybe mentally as well. That and Berry's continual shanks at critical moments really were as critical to the result as anything else ...IMO

• Like Like x 1
  15. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Conner's the man! However, I must admit I believe the O-line is the key. If you have a really good O-line you will have a very good running back.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Who played today? And who had better stats then the guy that didn't play when he played for the first time last season?

JC is not Bell but JC is here and he played WELL... A million times better than some of youfolks thought he would or could.

Don't try to use the Bell arguement in the same... He's awol and doesn't appear to be in a position to matter at this point. We can cherry pick all day what he ain't in comparison but what he was, was available and earned his check... Arrow is pointing north

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Conner was everything I wanted him to be. He did everything Bell would have done so maybe that will temper the opinion of Bell as this unique talent. I'd need to go back and watch Bell again, but I actually thought Conner looked a bit quicker. We'll see what he does from week to week now, but I am not worried about our run game as much as I am the passing game after this week. Say what you want about the fumble he had, but he took better care of the ball than Ben did.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I didnt say anything about bell in comparison to connor

19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I thought John Connor played very well today. Very happy for him. :facepalm:

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't know if they have to spend a draft pick on somebody to spell Conner. Plus, we'll have a better idea what we have in Samuels by then, I think that could be a very good 1-2 punch.

But as you said, really depends on coaching. Doesn't matter having a guy on the bench if coach won't put him in.

Conner is my silver lining today, I'm not sweating the loss of Bell at all now. He'll only get better from here on out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The scary part to Conner's day is that it appears the Steeler's were trying to prove something. Giving Conner 31 touches a game is not wise and no back will last the year with that workload.

No one else even carried today that I saw. So it appears that the Steeler's are trying to send Bell a message, a childish one at that. So running the wheels off Conner is the answer to the Bell issue? I can hear them saying, "we'll show him..."

I am rooting for Conner, big time. I like him at Pitt and I like his running but giving him 30+ touches a game is not a good idea if you want him around in week 16. That is not saying Conner is not durable but no back in the NFL is going to get 30+ touches each and every week and that includes Bell.

I do agree that after the fumble, he was shell shocked. Bell's productivity will not be easily replaced but it can be replaced if they work in a couple of guys instead of just a one trick pony show.

rutan

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    No I'm not saying they do. The point I'm trying to make is Tomlin is a idiot when it comes to his reluctance to give another RB a few carries. It's just common sense to everyone but him....

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure the whether played a roll in that but I think that's about average for Bell so who knows what they're plans are for him.

24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Just Tomlin being a stubborn jackass...

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I picked him up on my fantasy league. I felt pretty good about him having a good performance. We have one of the best O-lines in the game, and he showed he can run hard behind them.

I have confidence in him.