1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Sep 9, 2018.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m actually proud after all that mess we never gave up and were able to at least get the Tie.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Your sister must be really hot.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. Steelsax

Steelsax Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    With all the turnovers did not the Steelers have a 14 point lead with about 7 minutes left in the game. During those last minutes, did Tomlin continue to turn the ball over? Did Tomlin miss the 42 yr FG in OT? I understand you hate Tomlin, I can't say anything about that. But this loss is not on him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    We lost?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Maybe I should clarify.... 10X the talent but just as bad as the browns. This is Mike Tomlin. At the end of his career...the #1 thing he will be known for is losing to or playing down to far inferior opponents on a regular basis.

When you have that much more talent then the opponent - (one of, If not THE worst team in the league) and you don't win...that's on the coaching. Sure, flukes may happen from time to time but this is the consistent issue with MT's teams for many years now. If it were the players then it wouldn't happen every single season over and over again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steven Leonard

Steven Leonard Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Yeah like Tomlinson was the one throwing 4 int. and a fumble, that was our so called elite QB.

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin doesn't get off the hook but he can't take the brunt of the hate either.

Bad fumble by Conner. Terrible timing. Ben playing hero ball did not work out for us.

I didn't go find it in the game thread, but while watching the game, every person in the room with me definitely thought that punt hit the Browns player.

Not getting that turnover was killer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Sounds to me like a poorly prepared team... which might have something to do with the coaching? If it were a once in a lifetime thing that we would lose to the worst team in the league (or close to it) then sure maybe it's just a fluke or a bad day for the players.... but when it's every single season , against the same kind of crap teams with new players, new coordinators, but the same HC... it's fair to say its on MT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

If you want to give Tomlin a pass...AGAIN... then 2 of Ben's picks were while getting hit by defenders, another was a bad drop by James, and another was a bad route by Brown. Not Ben's fault. (see two can play that game)

11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well the Steelers don't have 10X the talent. So you are wrong on that point.

You are also wrong about losing to or playing down to far inferior opponents on a regular basis. See what I said in regard to the Steelers having 10X the talent.

I hate to say it but people that believe the Steelers have 10X the talent than other NFL teams are clueless.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The game was such a sloppy mess its hard for me to blame coaching. I do blame Tomlin for playing for the field goal in OT. At that point it was raining so hard the chances of Boswell hitting a long field goal were pretty slim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Hey hey hey NOW!! Let's be fair, Tomlin is the 33rd best HC in the NFL

14. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wait, all the replies about Jesse's drop. Yep, the ball goes thru his hands. If you remember the play, Ben chucks it at about 100mph and the ball is high above Jesse's head. The guy is 10 foot tall and Ben is always high to him.

So, yes, Jesse's misses one and it is over his head. I'm not going to blame him for a pass that is only about 10 yards long and he has to catch the thing above his head. In the rain yet. That is almost like saying the shortstop overthrows the first baseman he stretches and cant make the catch and you give the error to firstbase. It was a sketchy throw. You are not talking like Jesse has AB hands here. Why can't Ben get the ball to Jesse without it always seemingly being over his head.

rutan

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    you are exactly right. The only gripe I have is going so conservative after getting up by 14 points.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    OP your thread title should've been Classic Ben, a common theme in the Steelers struggles against lesser teams is Ben being a turnover machine :shrug:.

17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. We live and die by Ben. Same **** every year no different

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Of course you can lay a lot of this on Tomlin. Sure, Ben threw the ints and had the fumbles. Maybe Brown ran a wrong route. Sure, Boswell missed the kick. However, who made the decision to let Ben sit out almost the entire preseason? Who made the decision to kick the field goal without trying to get it closer? Who is responsible for preparing the team from week to week? Mike Tomlin. When did the Steelers start consistently playing down to bad opponents? When Tomlin took over. In 7 of Tomlin's 11 full seasons as HC, the Steelers missed the playoff or went one and done. In his first season he did not play his starters in the final regular season game even though winning meant avoiding playing Jacksonville in the wild card when Jax had beat us at home already that season. No one has been doing less with more than Tomlin. Put Tomlin as HC of a team with less talent and he'd have been fired already.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Hey hey don't involve LaDanian in this.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If she's hot please share a photo. :tongue:

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    In all seriousness, the idea of blaming Tomlin for everything all the time is myopic lacking critical thought. It's the easy thing to do. He's the "Head" Coach after all.

But as others have pointed out, Tomlin didn't fumble the ball. Tomlin didn't not catch a perfectly placed ball (cough << Jesse James) Tomlin didn't get torched deep two plays in a row resulting in a TD catch. ( <<cough Sutton)

At the end of the day, the PLAYERS need to execute. Overall the players did well. I'm not knocking them necessarily. The Browns made some good plays, AND they did a good job exploiting various weaknesses on the defense. In short, they did a decent job.

The Steelers need to work on PENALTIES and of course TURNOVERS. Ben had a bad game. He made some poor reads and some poor throws, but I wouldn't count him out though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Also the Steelers don't have Cheerleaders.

So someone has to do the cheering..

Might as well be Tomlin
    :towel::icon mrgreen:

23. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    It’s still the same old stuff with a Tomlin coached team. Just sloppiness and bad penalties at crucial key moments of the game. Tomlin just looks unprepared on the sideline too many times. He looks like he is always just hoping guys like Ben and AB pull the game out and if it doesn’t happen he has no back up plan at all. With that being said, Ben and this offense need to be better moving forward. Ben can’t blame Todd Haley anymore for his piss poor play or when things go bad like they did today. Those days are over with. This offense has way too much talent and needs to be and should be a helluva a lot better then what we saw today.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    What about Ju Ju? 5 receptions for 119 yards at 23.8 AVERAGE! http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3120348/juju-smith-schuster

How about James Conner at 31 attempts for 135 yards at 4.4 per carry?

If we want to talk penalties at crucial moments, let's talk about the 2 penalties in which the Steelers scored 3 TOUCHDOWNS on one drive (two that came back). One was a holding penalty by Pouncey and the other was hands to the face by Gilbert.

HOW ARE EITHER OF THESE TOMLIN'S FAULT?

It can be debated regarding the validity of these calls also. Pouncey maybe. Gilbert's a joke! The NFL now is a penalty happy league (<<unfortunately)

Tomlin is doing fine. He doesn't have his top running back (one of the best in the league), and is handling the whole thing QUITE WELL despite players going public regarding Bell. Tomlin has done a great job of remaining NEUTRAL and professional regarding a very tough situation.

I disagree on the assessment of Tomlin. He's one of the better coaches in the league. The Steelers had a rocky game that without the turnovers wouldn't have even been close.

5 TURNOVERS is very hard for any team to overcome. We got a tie. I'll take it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    This was not a Tomlin issue. This was Ben making turnover issues. Pure and simple.

• Agree Agree x 1