1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Anyone Else Losing Some Interest in the NFL?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steelers89, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    There was a time when I made it a habit of dedicating Sundays to watch the Steelers & other NFL games. One week before the season begins, I am not feeling excited at all. Some of that is due to the constant attention on anthem protests. Another factor is the number of commercials. How many people are tired of TD, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, & commercial? Too much. Lastly, I'm tired of seeing the same team (Cheats) in the AFCCG or SB. The AFC is watered down.

Has anyone else lost some interest in the NFL?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Commercial breaks are annoying and dislike the rule changes but my interest is as high as ever.

I cant wait for the season to kick off :herewego:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wait till you get my age which isn't old but have been watching for 50 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Only 50 years Ward? Heck I started watching the year the first Edsel was released. No beer commercials back then, prohibition was still in effect. ;)

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    are board fantasy football draft starts in 10 min. I have the last pick super excited.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Multiple simultaneous feelings of being both excited as hell and growing weary. Complicated.

8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I DVR the games, start watching 1 hour later - able to FF through halftime and most commercials. Only way to watch sporting events anymore (especially MLB). I just have to avoid viewing the TSF MB until after the game's over which is around the same time the actual game concludes. I also don't answer the phone, the doorbell or check texts/emails. Just a content hermit on the prairie who never complains about commercials anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I agree with you. I feel that football is still a draw from its rich history but is now largely a watered down product. I feel it became way to political, regardless of your politics or feelings about current issues, and it was nice to have an escape where you could get away from the bs of life and not have to be reminded of all the crap we are inundated with every other second.

Advertising is out of control and they throw a commercial in every millisecond and seem to purposely stop the game to play commercials.

Lastly I feel it is just an inferior product to what it used to be. Money corrupted the league. Rules are changed to make it a shootout and take defense out of the game. All this to "win over" new fans who have no appreciation of the game. Hockey did the same thing and failed to generate any new base. There is a scandal every year (usually the Patriots) that do nothing to rectify outcomes or punish the team of guilt. Remember when the Giants faced the rat birds in the super bowl after stealing playbooks through the playoffs. Despite being a lousy team on paper they suprised everyone with their prowess on the field. Even the announcers said during nfccg against vikes, "it's like the corner backs know the routes better than the receivers." Ultimately NFL finds out about scandal, giants can't steal ravens plays and get destroyed in super bowl. What was the penalty? Take a draft pick away? How does that justify viking fans? Their team was 15-1 and probably would have beat the rats. They never won a super bowl. How many bowls would we have won in the 2000s if cheats were brought to heel? Is it fixed? NFL needs to clean up it's product if they plan to keep what they have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Where are you getting this Giants stole playbooks nonsense from? I never heard of it.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Some reporter from a Canadian paper(maybe website can’t remember) wrote an article with these accusations. It was never substantiated etc. More than likely just a butthurt vikings fan trying miserably to exact revenge. As with everything on the net it takes on a life of its own and becomes set in stone as an irrefutable fact for some.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I still love it but not that crazy feeling of intense emotion and devotion I felt from 1997-2011.

I used to feel the Pittsburgh Steelers had that aura, that magic that they can beat anyone in the world lol.

It died in that packer super bowl.

Could be me just getting older. I’m 81 btw.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think the new rule is going to be a huge challenge for the refs to manage properly. How will the refs manage what only comes natural for defensive players that lead with their shoulders/ helmets to make tackles and offensive players that lead with their shoulders/helmets to protect their bodies? Sometimes helmet to helmet contact is inadvertent or unavoidable. Especially in the treaches where more of that contact happens than anywhere else.

I thought there were several bad calls during preseason. Game changing flags might fly at a record pace. Games will be loss and scoring will increase. I'm sure an increase in scoring is just what the league wants.

My excitement level for the season is probably at around 50 or 60% of what it used to be for several reasons. One huge factor for me is the league over saturated fans with to much of everything that has to do with football.

I also discovered that it's better not to invest so much time and emotion in a game where there is very little reward for the fans. It seems that the agony of defeat feelings out lasts the thrill of victory feelings.

I still enjoy the sport. Only time will tell for how much longer I will enjoy the game. I will lose more interest if the NFL continues to micro manage the rules to the point where games are decided by bad/questuonable calls and as a result becomes increasingly difficult to watch.

I can see this scenario happen in the near future:

Brady or another QB goes back to pass with a WR that's the "sacrifice" guy for the team. QB places the ball that puts defender in difficult position. WR catches the ball in the middle of the field to sacrifice himself for 15 yard penalty, big play, or TD. What should the defender do? I believe there are coaches devious enough to call a similar type of play for the opportunity to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Well I was watching when the game was just two local villages chasing an actual pig.

That was around 1986, but I was in an odd part of England.

15. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Too political now days, stupid rules trying to make a dangerous game 100% safe, it’s just not the same anymore. I lost interest in the NFL overall a long time ago. I still watch the Steelers games if they are on and easy to find but I’m not jumping through hoops to watch anymore. I can find a million other things to do.

16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016

Man bigben, if I knew you were 81, would not have written that Patriots haiku. I was taught to respect my elders.

17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's another factor for me and im sure other fans. There are a million other things to do in life besides spending the entire day watching the NFL Sunday. Then they expect people to tune in on Monday, Thurs, and near end of season on Sat. That's oversaturation in an effort to increase profit.

18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll always be a Steeler fan, but honestly there are a few guys on the team today that I find it hard to root for, L. Bell being the primary guy.

The kneeling has turned me off and the mere fact that even many sports outlets like ESPN have even gotten political really bugs me. I call them MESPNBC. I always went to the NFL to escape all of the partisan political crap in everyday life. And I don't care what anybody says, the Anthem is NOT the time to protest anything! And that entire ritual was started by one of the biggest cop hating, Castro loving idiots in the world who can't even articulate what social justice looks like. Neither can many of the players who kneel.

Furthermore, what are these guys doing to effectuate social justice in their communities? Are they working to build bridges between the youth and law enforcement? Are they providing mentorship and teaching respect for authority? Are they teaching young men how to be responsible fathers instead just hitting and running and letting mom and baby fend for themselves? Sure some of them are, but all we see are stories about how all cops are evil so we need to kneel and thumb our noses at the countless hundreds of thousands of Americans who have sacrificed for the freedoms that enable you to make millions on a hundred by fifty patch of grass chasing around a pigskin.

Besides all of the political garbage that has permeated the game, the NFL gas become too commercialized, too overexposed, too much about the shield and not enough about the black and gold, the silver and black, etc. I remember the day that the NFL was almost a novelty. It wasn't the slick Hollywood production it is today with 24/7 coverage. It was rough around the edges. The players took great pride in winning for the team and didn't stand at midfield hamming it up and exchanging autographed jerseys after the game.

Sorry to ramble, but I guess to answer the question, yes, I have lost some interest. I'm still a fan and will always root for my Steelers, but something inside of me has withered away the last few years. My fandom has diminished and I find myself finding it increasingly hard to root for some of the individuals wearing the team colors, the black and GOLD (NOT YELLOW!). I'm not to the point of boycotting but I'm close and if the NFL and the sportscasters who cover it want to continue to politicize what should be an escape from politics, I may get to that point. Something's got to give and in the end, it may be me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I've lived football for 50 yrs. Diehard steeler fan since the early 70's...

This Will Be my last yr with Sunday Ticket. I just don't Live it anymore. Still a fan of the Greatest team ever.

These spoiled super rich players kneeling during the Anthem, raising fists, holding up signs in the locker room, Twitter Instagram, has ruined it for me.

To this Day my family and I stand, hats off, hand over our Heart Every time everywhere it's played. Parents and Grandparents in WWl & WWll.. Two brothers in Vietnam ... Cousins in the Army and Marines as well as son-n-law. Several close friends are cops. Soon to be son-n-law is a fireman. Sacrificial Serving is to be respected and honored and not insulted.

There is social problems. Always will be. There are bad people and some make it onto police forces and military.

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Yeah its called getting older.
    You lose excitement for most things.

21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, and you get a little wiser in the process and reorder your priorities as well.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I only agree with this to the point that the losses don't effect me as much as they used too.

I love how much the game is available. The noise around it doesn't bother me.

When they put flags on them, I'll lose interest.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    When I was 18 the games meant more than anything and a loss was brutal.
    Now, its meh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    It is definitely readily available in many different formats, Internet, satellite TV, Sunday Ticket, Redzon, etc.

I remember calling 900-976-1313 to get updates on Steelers pre-season action. I reminder the anticipation of waiting for Howard Cosell to do NFL halftime highlights. I remember playing hookie when ESPN started televising the NFL draft on Tuesday morning. I remember calling my local radio station to see if they could tell me who the Steelers had drafted in the first round one year (it was John Rienstra BTW). I remember anxiously awaiting my weekly Steelers Digest and devouring every story in it.

I know some of my declining interest is part of getting older and losing that childlike fascination with your boyhood heros, but there are other factors at play too. The NFL is becoming unlikeable for a host of reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And NFL Films. It played such a major roll in shaping my passion for the sport. That voice, the music the clips were set too, I couldn't wait for each new airing. Definitely hooked me on football.

• Agree Agree x 2