1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What was your toughest, hardest, most depressing, gut-wrenching loss to take as a Steelers fan?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Aug 22, 2018.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    What was your toughest, hardest, most depressing, gut-wrenching loss to take as a Steelers fan?

Super Bowl loss to Dallas?
    Super Bowl loss to Green Bay?
    AFC CG loss to San Diego?

For me, it's the loss to Oakland in the AFC CG that would have been a chance at a 3-peat and we were without Rocky and Franco.

What was your hardest loss to take?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We've been over this a hundred times. January '95 AFC Championship loss to the Chargers will go down in infamy. That was, by far, the worst loss in Steelers history. Losing to Tebow, SBXXX and SBXLV losses pale in comparison. The epic loss to the Chargers is up there with the biggest choke jobs in NFL history... up there with Patriots losing to Giants in SBXLII to go 18-1 and done.

Losing SBXLV to Packers and SBXXX to Cowboys was justified. The Cowboys were a better overall team in XXX and the Steelers beat themselves in SBXLV with turnovers against a good Packer team. Losing to an inferior Chargers team the way they did was inexcusable. It was pitiful and pathetic.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's always the last Steeler loss. That would mean the debacle at Lambeau Field last Thursday night. OK, just kidding. That one doesn't count in spite of the drama melt downs around here. I'd have to say all the ones you mentioned above plus the loss to the Pats last year when it seemed like we finally had them after all these years only to have the refs snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It was quite traumatic. :noose:

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    AFC championship game against San Diego

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    SB loss to dallas. we would be sitting 7-4 vs them and I can just kick back with my feet up top living in Texas lol.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tie between AFCCG vs Chargers and SBXXX

8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    SB to Dallas is #2 for me. They were better than us, but Cowher ball gave us a chance to beat a better team and in the last 5 minutes it looked like we were going to tie or win the game. Then....the unspeakable happened. Sheer pain goes to game against SD. I WILL NEVER FORGET THE TORTURE.

Edit: Surprisingly I found the GB loss not so tough. I knew we would not win and we were lucky to have a small chance to pull it out at the end.

The third worst loss was a game against the Ravens and I don`t remember exactly which one. I remember posting on this site for hours and until late in the night to relieve some steam.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AFC CG 2004 loss against Patriots.

Thank god 2005 happened!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This!

11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Exactly.

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    2001 loss to the Patriots. Everyone wanted to see the greatest show on turf vs the big nasty D. Would have been epic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Definitely the Chargers AFCC loss. The Steelers were the vastly superior team and choked. They might not have beaten the 9ers in the SB anyway but it would have been a good game at least. That loss was simply terrible. Nothing has come close since. Worst loss of my fandom in any sport.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now there is the squeaky pot calling the kettle black. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    AFC Championship December 26,1976.

Raiders 24 Steelers 7

We were out of running backs. Win that game and we most likely would have won 3 SBs in a row.

IMHO, that was the best NFL team that walked on a field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    The last one. I'm still confused how they allowed blake bortles to do what he did. This is the same guy that his own team wont put their first team def against him in practice to not hurt his confidence.

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think a bunch of these people believe it was last weeks preseason game.:shrug:

They already have coaches on hot seats.

18. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    1977 - losing to the Broncos and a 38 year old QB on one leg in the playoffs. What an ugly game that was.

19. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Honorable mention: Dec 8, 2013 - snow game against Miami..... we get outplayed, but then have a miracle multi-lateral play.... that ends when AB touches the chalk on his way to the end zone. Steelers are eliminated from playoff contention....

But THEN.... they miraculously win their next 3 games.... 20 other things happen in their favor, but it boils down to the KC backups needing to beat the Chargers' starters. No way that would happen....

But THEN.... the Chiefs backups play their guts out.... and Ryan Succop lines up for the 41 yard field goal that would send the Steelers to the playoffs (I don't watch the game knowing that the Chiefs will never win, except I turn it on with 9 seconds to play)..... and misses it right.... overtime.....no way the Chiefs win....

But THEN.... the Chiefs appear to strip the ball from the Chargers and run it back for a score....but a whistle that was never blown apparently ended the play.... and this type of stuff keeps happening until the Chargers win....

But THEN.... the league apologizes and says Chargers had an obvious illegal formation on Succop's FG attempt.... he should have had another chance at a 36-yarder..... Soooooooorry!

Given the year the Steelers had (where there were a LOT of gut punches), nobody would have expected them to make noise in the playoffs, so this type of loss is quickly written off as "It wouldn't have mattered, Steelers shouldn't have put themselves in that position, can't rely on other people, blah blah blah.... but when you're dead and come back to life, only to be killed again before you get out of the grave (twice)..... it sort of stings.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Personally, for me it was the SB XXX loss. They really outplayed the heavily favored cowboys in all 3 phases of the game except for the 2 terrible INT's.

Second is the loss to SD. I will never forget the look on Cowher's face as game clock ran out.

Third would be the Green Bay SB loss. They had all the momentum going their way towards victory and then the missed block and Mendenhall fumble. A true gut punch still felt to this day.

21. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    The AFC championship game to the Chargers by far.The Steelers had just dominated the Browns in the a divisional game the week before and were heavy favorites against the Chargers.They almost doubled the amount of yardage gained by the Chargers and had a big time of possession advantage leading 13-3 at one point in the third quarter.The final drive by the Steelers was a heartbreaker as O’Donnell’s 4th down three yard pass to Barry Foster was tipped and broken up.They would have given the 49ers a run for their money definitely if ONLY!!

22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I’m suprised the Tebow playoff loss doesn’t come up more often, talk about a game you shouldn’t have lost. I know it was a road game but come on!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    SB xxx for me. It broke our perfect SB record, we should have won it, & against the Cowboys which I despise.
    Still has a bad taste.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Broncos Orange Crush defense was bad ass though.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011