1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Winners and Losers vs GB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 17, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Winner of the night : James Conner
    Conner played like a beast in the first quarter. Completely different running style than LB. No, hesitation at all. Just hit the hole and go. He ran through arm tackles and showed break away speed to go the distance, which is one thing Lev Bell dosent do often.

Winners
    James Washington
    Steelers know how to pick recievers. This guy is going to be great I can't wait to see what he does with Ben on the field. JW fights for the ball. It's fun to watch.

Ola Adeniyi
    Ola showed a motor on every play. He was disruptive, and again showed natural pass rush ability. At this point I will be shocked if Ola in not on the 53.

Loser of the Night : Mike Tomlin
    This is not a bash Tomlin thread, it's just preseason. At some point someone needs to be accountable for the awful tacking on this football team. When something is wrong for so long and never gets corrected you have to start at the top. It can't all be just players. Its not like the Steelers have no talent. From a practice and scheme standpoint whatever the Steelers are doing is not working.

Losers
    Keith Butler
    Once again the defense was a Chinese fire drill. Tacking was poor. There seemed to again be miscommunication in the secondary. It's only preseason, but I really hope we see a more polished product when the season opens.

Brian Allen
    Allen gambled and lost on a play that ended up being a touchdown. He followed that up will horrible coverage on a play that ended up being called back. I thought he looked bad all night.

Nat Berhe
    Poor tackling and coverage. He blew the tackle on the play Brian Allen blew the coverage on. I know he is supposed to be a special teams ace. But he needs to show more as a defender to make the squad.

Starting Inside Linebackers
    I thought Vince and Bostic were both below average. I wouldn't say they were horrible. But I have been keying on that position when I watch games. They don't come off blocks well. Those who though Bostic was a great tackler will be disappointed.

Mason Rudolph
    Mason had the worst start to a game you could have. Then he recovered and played pretty well for a couple of series. Then he seemed to get frustrated and the game got away from him. Not a good outing for the kid. He will improve.

Honorable Mentions
    I thought Mathew Thomas again looked pretty good. He just didn't do anything to make the winner list. Jesse James had a nice catch and run on the early TD drive. Fitz ran hard but he's still just Fitz. Pick 6 keeps Dobbs from being a winner. Damoun Paterson had another decent game. However he blew a couple routes that I noticed that could have been easily completed.

2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Mathew Thomas almost running that guy down on the long TD was pretty impressive.

BTW, the Steelers as a whole are winners because they seem to have escaped without any significant injuries. That is what really matters.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    I’m not sure if Thomas running him down was that impressive or Behre being that horribly slow was more unimpressive.

It was just an overall “WTF” is going on type moment for me.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Keep telling people the tackling isn't the coaches or the players. It wasn't Lake so people getting their hopes of for Bradley miraculously fixing the tackling will be disappointed.

CBA is the reason for poor tackling. Can't practice what you're not allowed to. Its a league wide problem, I watch games all the time and feel like Im watching the Steelers, just different uniforms.

I heard Bradley is very detail oriented, so maybe he will improve upon it a little but its still going to be below par.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Speak for yourself!

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    at this point we just want a fundamental defense. keep the player in front, tackle correctly when they have the ball. not even asking much anymore as a fan lol

8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's an interest point. I never really thought about that. I still think the coaches need to do more though. Every team has to work within the same parameters. It's up to the coaches to figure out how to properly get these guys ready.

9. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Total BULL SH-T. We are the worst tackling team in the NFL. What, don't other teams follow the same CBA as we do? That is complete and utter nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    While Steelers' poor tackling has been an issue for a long time (post Clark, Troy, Timmons, Huge Snack era) last night IMHO seemed to really display a hesitation caused by the new tackling rules - lots of half-baked arm tackles all over the field, even hesitation of using shoulder tackles for fear of inadvertent helmet involvement and drawing a flag. Is this what the NFL will become, game after game of pee-poor tackling as Blast pointed out above? Velcro flags can't be far off. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Bad yes. Worst - not even close. Their record year after year doesn't indicate that Steelers are the worst. Last night and the J-Ville games last year they certainly looked the worst. But they are doing something right - maybe playing in the AFC North offsets this defect? :shrug:

Edit: based on Blast's stats below, I stand corrected. But how do you finish 13-3 by being the worst at such a football fundamental? It certainly wasn't takeaways. And they never achieved that mythical 30+ points avg per game. I'm stumped.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Through Nov 4th last year, Steelers were the worst with 77 missed tackles. The best was Seattle with 31 missed tackles. Nov 4th, maybe 8 games were played by then? Does 31 missed tackles strike you as particularly good? 2nd best team had 35 missed tackles, 3rd best 36 missed tackles. If I could view the whole report, you'd probably be into 40 missed tackles by the 4th or 5th best team. In 8 games.

CBA effects practice, don't be a clown.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Clearly.....what was driving me crazy last night was all the stunting. We are continuously and voluntarily running guys out of position. Get a RB or WR in space against anyone and it's gonna be trouble. There doesn't seem to be any gap integrity and responsibility. We continue to see QBs escape pressure and they have too many avenues to escape. Our guys just can't seem to get off their blocks to make a play...it's maddening.what is the purpose of running McCullers on a stunt ....his lone task should be to shove the Center up the QBs ass....and that's it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Blast I have to disagree with you my friend. You learn to tackle at an early age and throughout every level they play at up until the pros. If you are drafted into the NFL as a defensive player, you know how to tackle. I see way too much chasing. Nobody breaking down and wrapping up legs or holding on while help arrives. There is no pursuit. It's all individuals trying to make tackles at different levels of the play.

I remember a good friend of mine that played DB for one year for the steelers telling the story of a receiver making a catch and he wrapped the receiver up near the sideline and was making the tackle when Hinkle came in and blasted them both knocking them out of bounds. He said he had never been hit so hard. Pursuit and gang tackling needs to improve. Quit watching another player try to make the tackle. Run tobthe ball and get there with a bad attitude and finish. We don't finish. These players were talking about them being coached to run to the ball just this year as well as the last couple. They still are not doing it. Aggressiveness is very important on defense. You fight off of blocks and you pursue to the ball. Seek and destroy mentality is needed. We see one guy try to make the tackle and then the next guy and then the next. Get there and tackle both if you have to. There should be 11 guys around the pile when it's over.:cool:

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The CBA may be a reason tackling is worse in the league as a whole, but it doesn't make the Steelers do it worse than every other team. The entire league has to deal with the same rules.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Loser - Danny Smith. Why is Fitz returning kicks?? What happened to Jordan Berry? Why isn't Sutton getting PR duties (except 1 for a fair catch). Why isn't Henderson getting more of a shot?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt Smith is deciding on his own who gets to return kicks. Henderson's limited time last night makes me think he has no shot at making the team.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

If that was the case, I would see poor tackling across the league and I just don't. Every team has the same amount of practices. Why are some teams better at tackling then the Steelers? Because we do not emphasize it or hold people accountable for when they miss tackles. or at least that what it seems.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm assuming you mean Tomlin is calling the shots? Surprised he has time to be the HC since he calls some of the defenses too. Really though, not sure why either of them would need to see Fitz and Nix in there for KR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Apparently Fitz is a "Tomlin guy" Fumbled away our last real chance at a Super Bowl and been making the roster blindly ever since. Is he really our 3rd string RB? Tired of this guy. I rather see what Samuels got.

Berry was a big loser and has been for a long time. Maybe the worst punter in the league.

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You mean like the time Harrison picked up Vince Young and half the Steelers defense on that sack.....amazing. I still want to say that it is something schematically that is leading to huge rushing lanes,too much open space for RBs and WRs. To me that is a huge part of why the tackling looks so bad. I agree the pursuit and gang tackling needs to improve but it just seems most times our guys are on islands trying to make plays. The stunting is much to frequent and we are constantly running ourselves out of plays...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It appears to me that the scheme is not working.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'm not even asking that they stop giving up tons of big plays. Just every once in awhile after a big catch when a player has the chance to tackle the runner prior to the end zone, how about they actually tackle the guy? It doesn't seem like much to ask for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well so far in this thread we learn that the Steelers are the worst tackling team and the worst punting team. I'll throw in we're the worst kick return team. Knowing these irrefutable facts, how do we explain their record over last 4 seasons - 13-3, 11-5, 10-6, 11-5? Obviously this means that many other teams are far more worse at more things than the Steelers are worse at. :hmm:

25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think you are forgetting that the Terrible Towel accounts for at least 2 wins per year. TheSteersfans.com adds another 1.5 wins and Pittsburgh Dad gives us .75 wins per year. Other teams don't have that, or Ben.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1