1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of rings a real mystery...NOT

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Squeaky noise again

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Saw a news report today that there is an immense academic shift based on both preconception and bulverism.

The report stated that there was an "unthinkably, colossal source" of energy causing massive upheaval within the world's academic curriculum.

Dare I say that, Mark Madden just may be the source! I will notify the FBI and CIA immediately and we will put an end to this "Crisis of Ignorance".

4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It does suck but saints, Cowboys, falcons, chiefs, packers have been underwhelming for the superstars they had/have.

Brady and bill broke the league, we got stuck in it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What he said ^............I think.:shrug::smiley1:

AQL that is.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Talk about :beathorse:
    The Patriots also went a decade between SB wins.

7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Pats only stopped our way to the SB once in that span.

8. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well let's forget that Madden wroteit and address the substance of his point:

Stillers have had Ben ,Bell and AB in their prime the last 5 yrs and haven't had had a sniff. Is it shortcomings in the Killer Bs? Tomlin? Haley? Colbert? Or just bad timing?

My assessment is that it's all of the above, but it hasn't been helped that this amazing, unstoppable offense trio gives #8 offensive output, year to year. That paired with a middling D gets you te results you've seen.

12. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kinda familiar territory to Peyton and his vaunted O in Indy.

Difference being in my opinion that everything ran through Peyton offensively atleast from what I understand. Majority of money went that way and the Colts fell short if we're discussing talent on sides of the ball. Colts had a couple very nice D players and were loaded on O and fell short.

Same thing the last few years around here with a damn fine QB surrounded with damn fine O talent as well.

I agree with those of us chest beating the wasted years of a franchise QB I honestly do!

Many similarities between the teams and their runs... Both came in when if you had a dominant D a less than stellar QB could win in the end... Seldom so but didhappen. I believe Pitt has invested less so in the problematic side of the ball but it's funny because it wasn't a prob until the horses got old and the coaches won't seemingly adapt to needed changes.

Ben has kept this team in the mix despite the declining/dead D as did Peyton and still has mileage left. The D needs to come around and the coaching needs to come around as well. I think there are pieces in place to pull it off player and new hire coaches considered... We shall see GO STEELERS

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe a selfish Bell and a overly loyal staff to him and how that could and does effect others when it comes to crunch time ? I can see where 1 selfish player could derail the train in key moments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    the real mystery is how madden keeps a job... i liken his articles to the Curse of Oak Island. All bravado no substance....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    This guy has no clue does he?The 80’s Chargers we’re stacked on offense and never went to a Super Bowl.How about Marino’s Dolphins who could light up the scoreboard at will and they never won a championship! He talks about Ben, Brown and Bell and the great offensive line like it’s a mystery why they haven’t sniffed a Super Bowl in the last 5 years. All those teams have the same thing in common which is a major deficiency in some part of the defense being it schematically,lack of talent or coaching!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The article kind of reads like a drunk guy muttering into his beer at the end of a night.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, as much as I don't care for most of his work, I don't think that article is really stating anything except the obvious. Call it personnel, bad luck, bad coaching, whatever, they haven't had much playoff success since 2010.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    All that matters is Bell and AB are awesome on Madden (the video game). Steelers don't need any more Super Bowl rings. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah. The problem is that what he's saying is so obvious, it's not really worth writing an article about it.

He basically says: we've got some really good players, why haven't we won more? And then offers very little insight into why that might be, that hasn't already been discussed to death. Or any consideration of comparative situations (like the Manning/Harrison/Wayne Colts, as someone mentioned above). Or even a mention that for every championship team, there were moments in their season where it all could have ended differently, because that's kind of what football is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What's wrong about what Madden says in the article?

Is it this ?
    This is the last season of the Le’Veon Bell/Antonio Brown era.

It feels like the Steelers have accomplished something in the era’s five years prior, perhaps because of the assorted histrionics. But they haven’t.

Or maybe this?
    Bell and Brown haven’t exactly sharpened the Steelers’ focus, with Facebook Live and training-camp holdouts among superstar-generated distractions.

Or could it be this zinger?
    It is fair to question the team’s focus, as lack thereof avails itself on a regular basis. Last year, it trickled down from Mike Tomlin as the coach openly anticipated a playoff matchup with New England that never came.

How about this?
    How will Bell reflect on not winning in Pittsburgh? Money is obviously a much bigger priority. Rap, too, perhaps, and certainly ego. (I say ego, not branding, because Bell isn’t organized enough to turn his ego into proper branding.)

This is unpopular, but Madden is not as far off base as some on the board might suggest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    So which year were the Steelers supposed to win it all? Every damn year something happens to derail their chances, whether it be Bell and all the RBs getting hurt, AB getting hurt, Ben playing like a putz, or Shazier going down and sinking the defense. Just to keep it recent I don't know how anyone can look at the team we had at the end of last year and think that defense was good enough that they should have won the Super Bowl.

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I dont think Madden is far off base at all. Its just that hes beating a dead horse. Theres nothing new here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Since Steeler's last SB win in 2009, only team to get two wins since then was, of course, the dreaded Pats who easily could have lost both but for defense and head coach meltdowns by their opponents. For 3 of the victors since 2009, it was their first SB W. Putting all bias's aside, looks and smells like parity to me. Getting to and winning a SB requires an amazing harmonic convergence of so many tangibles and intangibles. I'm happy that the Steelers are even in the running more often than not. Which team would you rather be a fan of? Thank you Willie Parker, Randle El, James Harrison and Santonio for amazing splash plays to secure SB rings for the first time since the 70's Dynasty. :steelflag:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To me, it's more about player decisions. The Woodley deal was killer.