1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Thomas over Tyler Matakevich

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Aug 11, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    After reviewing the game again play by play, I saw more out of Matt Thomas then Tyler Matakevich.

Matt Thomas was in first on the play when they had the overhead snap out of the shotgun. He also had a time where he put pressure on the QB from behind forcing him out of the pocket. And unlike Bud Dupree, he can flip his hips.

Don't know if the guy knows anything or not, but you can't deny his athletic ability.

Not only did Tyler get out played physically, he made some bad reads and angles at times. I think he had a pretty bad game unfortunately.

Keep an eye on Matt Thomas. Hope the guy makes some plays enough to make a roster spot.

Another LB to keep an eye on is Farrington Huguenin who I thought looked good. Good speed. Good tackle. and the guy is 6-4 268. Probably won't make the team but thought he played pretty good.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  3. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Hey, I remember when I made the post, "Maybe this is why they didn't draft an ILB?" It was about this guy. He was, by far, my favorite UDFA signing. And the new #92 looks like a player at OLB.

4. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Only positive play I remember from #44 is the punt block first game last year. Maybe my eyes lie but I rarely if ever see him make positive plays. #92, #99, #46, & #41 are extremely athletic & interesting...

• Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    3925CE88-3BFA-4BDF-8021-25C69435DE43.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    idk, but that mofo can whistle some hella dixie....see that gap in those chompers lol

ya'll can talk that BS all you want, dude's got a great Yinzer Lber name and I'll wait to see until the end of the 4th preseason game whether he comes or goes.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I hope he's a beast for the Steelers and he becomes the NFL's poster boy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    i do too, loved the pick and go back to my comments in the bill nunn draft room and you'll see the same. But there is a time when emotions and realistic potential diverge. I can pull for the guy all I want, but that doesn't make up for his shortcomings as a player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Good job bro! Of course we did discuss they didn't know he'd be available after the draft. He was projected to land in a later round. Definitely a good UDFA pickup!

Here is a clip showing a bit of his athleticism. https://www.cbssports.com/video/pla...omas-hits-drills-in-steelers-rookie-mini-camp

At this point, I'd take athleticism over experience.

Other notable mentions at linebacker are Keion Adams, although I'm not sure why they had him drop in zone coverage so much. He rushed pretty good at times and got a fumble recovery.

As for Olasunkanmi Adeniyi #92, I didn't see a whole lot from him except that he did get a good bit of playing time. Could have missed something though. Nothing really stood out.

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Guess I need to take a better look at #92 Olasunkanmi Adeniyi << copy pasting that dude's name.

#99 is Keion Adams
    #46 is Matt Thomas
    #41 is Farrington Huguenin << another copy paste. .This dude is huge and had one great open field tackle out of the slot especially where he showed great awareness, closing speed, with a textbook tackle. He had a couple other plays also where he was in the mix.

Think there are some highlights for the younger linebackers. I'm hoping the Steelers FO is seeing this also

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't hate the dude, but I think even if you asked him I think he'd tell you he had a bad game.

Unfortunately for him, I don't think it was just the game. He doesn't look athletic or big enough to make it happen at what I'm reading his expectations are competing with Bostic.

As for Bostic, he made some bad plays and some good ones. Definitely the guy has the size and speed to make it happen. He initially read the play wrong and took a poor angle along with Morgan Burnett on the goalline play with Ajayi which was the reason for that huge run on the left side. Kind of disappointing to see and hope that improves but think it will.

I still see us as pretty weak at the inside linebacker position unfortunately, but we do have some young guys showing some ability out there. Not sure how they'll do against the 1st string players however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Here's his draft profile, if that means anything..
    Overview
    Thomas is lacking in many of the areas teams covet in linebacker play. His instincts are poor, he doesn't always play with a competitive demeanor, he's not a downhill player and he lacks play strength and productivity for the position. However, Thomas does possess a long frame with outstanding play speed and the potential to make plays. It's his athletic traits and "potential" that will give him a shot as a WILL linebacker who will need to excel on special teams to stick with a team long-term.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/matthew-thomas?id=32462018-0002-5598-86e2-43ff05f442ff

I personally think a lot of this is coachable. I know it should have been done before getting to the pros, but in college you can be good off of athletic ability alone.

So it's up to Joey Porter and co. to get some productivity out of him, and ultimately up to him to see how good he wants to be in this league and be coachable. IMO

13. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Good stuff. Made a turn around after some issues, probs would have been drafted if for them early issues with shoulder injury, suspension and moms passing

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Huguenin played well. He didn't make all the tackles but he was a cause of a lot of the tackles to be made. Thomas will get better. I had us even drafting this kid in most mocks. Getting him as an udfa was like having extra picks. Don't discount fort yet either. Bostic played pretty well for his first go around with this defense. Tyler will be fine. He still had 5 stops in the game and you have to be around the ball to make plays and he does that. The two out in the open plays stick out. OA did look pretty good. I didn't think kieon even played. Probably went for more chicken wings at that point.:smiley1::cool:

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah Mac Keion played. He was the one who recovered the fumble OA caused. He looked ok out there with a few pressures. I know you like Huguenin,maybe he'll end up being like the Hilton /Golson scenario with Dupree. I know there's talk about our ILB tackling deficiencies and they are warranted. What's more troubling to me is the gaping holes these RBs are running through. Any ILB in the NFL is gonna have their hands full tackling a RB in that much space. I know it's early this year but we saw the same thing last year. Not gap integrity and OLBs not setting the edge. They can talk Dollar Defense, heck they can talk Susan B Anthony but until the guys upfront start doing a better job we're gonna get gashed on the ground and PAd to death....it's a must our front 3 become stouter and our OLBs as well. We can't have RBs running through holes like they are shot out of a cannon....

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's interesting on some of the run plays and I don't know if the NFL replay was from the Eagles local feed or not but they made a point of the fact that the Eagles have a play where the center and RG pull right and everything slants that direction while at the handoff it is clear that the running back is taking a cutback route to the left, isolating a smaller faster quicker running back in one on one versus an edge rusher or DE. They showed the NFCCG versus the Vikings and Ajayi making them look silly using that formation and motion.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Here is MT's work set to a good jam. All he did was become the team leading tackler for 2 years in a row on a really good FSU D. Like Jimmy Johnson said, I prefer production over all other stats. At this point, it looks like he will run circles over angry Red. Bostic didn't overwhelm anyone. I'd love for this guy to steal the starting spot.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude you're stealing thread ideas :facepalm:, I posted the same topic last week.

19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I saw one pretty good QB pressure, where he looked like a young Harrison out there.

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I remember that point in the game as well. That is where recognition and discipline need to come into play. It would help greatly to have speed and athleticism as well. Without Shazier we no longer have that so guys are going have to rely on technique more than ever...

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm comparing Matt Thomas's preseason performance with a guy toted as a potential starter's performance.

So this is entirely different than what you posted. Discussing Matt Thomas goes way beyond one week ago.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I don't care who he beats out, I hope he wins the job. We need that spark from his athleticism. Plus I always loved the underdog

23. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Matakevich is garbage. If he is on the roster ahead of any of these young guys, it's a travesty. If dirty is on the field, we are screwed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll put the above down as a no vote.

25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    He is an allstar at special teams. Coaches love that and so do I, but not as a starter. He is like chickillo a career depth player.

Except Chickillo sucks, and he can provide more as a OLB than Tyler can as a ILB.

yes I'm rooting for the red