1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you bench LeVeon 1st game? Partially?? Fully???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Aug 10, 2018.

1. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    He's within his rights for sure. He's not the best RB in football 15 mil or not even with increased load last season which saw him statistically finish not first at his position with lower stats than the previous season. His numbers will more than likely be worse than last year with an identical load statistically. Injuries happen but his attitude sucks and his staff has been hell bent on wearing out the new car since he showed up. Kind of like trotting Ben out onto the field when he's smashed up... They have no concept of preservation for an investment and no desire to bench a star not cutting it on certain Sunday's hoping for magic instead of trying to find a spark.

If he's scared of putting work in early because of injury, I imagine the same thought goes into wether or not the team gets his very best as well. He sees himself as an investment they all do. I don't buy into the idea that he's gonna let it all go in an audition season, if he did hed think about team chemistry etc which would only benefit his attempt at self promotion. Last season he relied on his rep as an athlete came in rusty and finished the season with the team finishing no different than when injury robbed him in the past.

He's doing the same this year relying on reputation not team reps to make the team better. Hope he kills it and they get the trophy this year however I think he's not as needed as he likes to think he is and team problems lie elsewhere.

2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I believe his agent would have told him to sign the deal for a trade if there were any suitors, but apparently as dumb as some of these gm's are, they're more than content to wait for his numbers to drop and just be out whatever money they settle on and not mortgage picks in this current situation. Then again, maybe the theory is still alive with rb's dropping off in camp?

3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Le'veon is the best back in the league IMO. Ultimately I think he does deserve to be paid as a premier player. What contracts are set at for certain players makes no sense half the time.

With that said, the Steelers offered him a big time contract that would have set up him and his family for life. They would have enshrined him in the city of Pittsburgh in the likes of Jerome Bettis. He probably could have made killer endorsement money with the 3 Bs concept which would have offset the couple mill less a year he was seeking.

Le'veon is 'betting on himself', which I think is a huge risk on his part. He's not invincible to injury. Ultimately I hope the best for him, but his time looks to be up here.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Barring injury and assuming Bell is going to show up for the first game and beyond, I see no reason to believe his numbers will be down from last year. All signs point to Le'veon getting the ball even more.

His touches per game is not something to look over. It's actually a ridiculous number of touches at 406 last year. I see him lighting it up this year as he sees $$$, his primary motivating tool it seems.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It depends on what you mean by benching him. If you sit him out for a series or two, then use him in his normal role after that, fine. Tomlin promised there would be a consequence if he held out as late as he did last season. I'd like to see that consequence turn out to be something public.

No way do you sit him for an entire game. The Steelers have a tougher schedule this season. The last thing they need to be doing is screw around and lose the opener against the Browns.

As others mentioned, the real issue is Conner's weakness in blitz pickup. Based on last night, he still doesn't know how to do it.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So bummed I couldn't see the first half, but I read somewhere that the blitz Conner missed wasn't his fault entirely. I didn't see it so I really have no idea. Maybe something further will come out later this week. Was it really bad or could it have been an OL mix up too?

Can't remember the article that said that either...

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    At this point it’s pointless!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It was bad. The pass rusher went right through him.

9. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    No I wouldn't bench Bell. That's crazy talk.
    He should be one of the best players on the team this year.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hi numbah. long time.:drinks::cool:

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Play the guy, but give other rb's chances to show there wares also.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no he wont give them the best chance to win in game one. he wont know the offense and the calls. now if haley was still here maybe but hes not and things have changed. maybe not a lot but things have changed enough that a guy that doesnt know it will hurt the guys that do. no flow to the no huddle they plan to run. if MT lets him slide he loses the whole team and any respect from the players. its not about making the fans happy, its about the other 52 guys that know what they are doing and shows them if you do your own thing its OK as long as you show up on game day. bull chit. i'd make him play STs that week. you dont continue the tradition of being a top franchise to play for by allowing this behavior to be rewarded, if so you are just the average team. rooney should step in and say no. :cool:

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They stood behind Bell after 2 drug suspensions and a holdout, missing playoff game practice, ratting out his coach for hiding an injury, ect. The ship has sailed on saving face or sending a message at this point.

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Unreal that this talk still happens, why the f#@% would we punish the team and bench Bell? Serious people think it is just a plug and play, sorry it isn't and the Steelers know this and know that nobody on the roster can do what Bell does. I hate what Bell is doing but I get it....still don't like it. However I am a Steeler fan and our best chance to win is with Bell!!!!

As for the whole he got off to a slow start.....please stop this talk the whole team got off to a slow start not JUST BELL! So in game 2 Bell had 87yds vs a very good D, yes and as a team they rushed for 102 yds vs that team that in 17 games only allowed 6....yes 6 teams to rush for over 100yds as a team. Also week 4 Bell had 144yds I will take that slow start any day. Let's not even talk about week 5 cause I am sure that 5 int game was cause of Bell's "slow" start!!!

I get it people are pissed but it is what it is we are in a win now with Ben at the end and Bell gives us the best chance to win, that is a fact! I want him in here but I understand why he isn't and what he does outside is his business and like I have said in the other 100,000 threads about Bell last season the media don't help either!

Ok rant over now lets get back to our #7 run......go Steelers!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they got off to a slow start with a different OC. :cool:

16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah add that in too but my point was and is it wasn't just Bell getting off to a slow start. This is a team sport, in 2016 he missed the first 3 games and in his first game back he ran for 144. The next 5 games he failed to get 100 yds with some being pretty bad(32 & 57) hard to say he was rusty after coming right in with 144. IMO it is all about how a person feels about the player, we won 3 of the first 4 last year but all the talk was on Bell being rusty.....smh!

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Let's say this is your business. Would you be OK not letting an employee work, and still pay him his $900,000 day's pay?

I don't think so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Let me get this straight, He's the best in the league at what he does, we're are paying him millions right now and he's not doing it, BUT once he finally does return 1st thing you want us to do is sit him and have him do more of doing nothing???

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    RB is the easiest position to learn, Bell won't have a problem being ready for game 1.

20. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Then explain why he sucked the 1st 3 weeks last season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think the issue is getting to know the offense. I doubt it will be that different from what they did with Haley, though that could slow him down a little.

The larger issues are getting his timing down with his teammates and getting in football shape. He can do all the conditioning work he wants away from the field, but it's not the same as taking a hits while doing it.

22. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Because he wasnt in football shape..

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would bench him the entire game. He wont be in game shape and the timing will be off again. Plus why reward a greedy player when you have others who are working hard and are Team oriented . I think the Team should have never tagged him .

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldn't bench him. Would just slow his return to game speed/shape even more. Took him 3 or 4 games last season to hit his stride.

It's his last season here, don't waste time trying to send him a message. He's too pigheaded to receive it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    They question is what will the Steelers do with all that extra money next season after he leaves.