1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The better Dobbs plays the more likely....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    the Steelers trade Landry Jones.
    I think it is a possibility.

Thoughts ?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't see it.

I'd be stunned if it's not

Ben
    Landry
    Mason

Dobbs had no trade value. I think he goes to the PS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only the most desperate team with zero QB''s would trade for Jones. He is on the last year of his deal so if there is interest even remotely they wait and let the Steelers pay his 2.5 this year and make a play for him in Free Agency.

Only a slightly less desperate team would poach Dobbs off the practice squad because 31 other teams would have to like him more than guys already in their systems and use a valuable 53 man roster spot for him thats a lot for a team to put into a player who won't know their system and still needs time to develop.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    crown.jpg

you wanna crown 'em, lol!

Its just one preseason game so far, its fun to speculate and that's what we're here for, but we need to see some more before trade talks commence. QBs getting injured on other teams will be the catalyst. Until that happens I think its a good problem to have.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like Dobbs a lot, but I don't think it's going to happen. Not with our Superbowl contending year. Most think this is our best chance before rebuilding.

The pick he had was from throwing across the field. A reassured big no no for a QB, and it led to a pick inevitably.

I like his mobility and capability to extend plays. I just don't see the Steelers releasing/trading Jones unless either he screws it up bigtime or Dobb's steps it up bigtime.

We have 3 more games for preseason.

I will say on the one play Jones was sacked, he did not adjust to meet the pressure. So a linebacker came in virtually free off a bump from the tight end. Conner did not pick up his assignment also, and the pocket collapsed. No quick route to go to and Jones went down. Philly showed and ended up sending 7 players on the rush.

On the play Jones threw deep to Ju Ju, it was short. Ju Ju made him look good there actually with a great catch challenging the corner for the ball and winning.

So we will see and hopefully the best man will win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm not entirely optimistic that Dobbs will clear waivers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Thing is, if he doesn't, so what? The Steelers drafted Rudolph to eventually replace Ben. Dobbs would be no better than a 3rd QB on any team. The Steelers don't have a use for him now. If he gets claimed so be it. Dobbs is probably better off anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    All the hype is for Rudolph, but that's all it is at the moment. He still needs to demonstrate he's the man for the job also.

For all we know, Ben is playing 5 more years. I'm doubting that's going to happen, but who knows.

I think the Steelers organization is set on Jones actually. So all this discussion is probably a moot point. Unless Dobbs comes out like Elway in the next three games, I think he will be the odd man out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers are contenders. They aren't going into the season without an experienced backup quarterback unless Jones gets hurt. Dobbs playing well just makes it more likely that he doesn't make it through waivers to the practice squad.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I would have cut Dobbs last year after all of the preseason games and signed almost any free agent QB to be our 3rd QB.

Landry should stay but I wouldn't be against cutting both Dobbs and Landry Jones and signing a good veteran QB to be our #2 or #3.

Oh, I forgot to answer the question, uh, "The better Dobbs plays the more likely he..." Still gets cut and signs with the Browns and he only plays one game with them but it is against us and he beats us to prevent us from getting into the playoffs but he never wins another NFL game ever.

11. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I don't think Dobbs has any trade value and I doubt Jones has much if any. The easy prediction is Dobbs cut and to the practice squad. I wouldn't be overly concerned with hin getting taken from it. That said, there is a lot of preseason left and no reason to make a decision now. These things often work themselves out on their own.

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There would have to be a team that is over the moon obsessed with him in order for him to not. I can't remember the last time on cut down day that someone put in a waiver claim, since they typically wait and just offer the player a job. Dobbs has already made some roots in Pittsburgh and the Community so I don't think he would pull a Dri Archer and sign with another team just to ride their PS but if he does that is his choice and his career.

13. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Landry Jones IMO can be easily replaced and it is his last year with Steelers , so I figured he would be better trade bait than Dobbs.
    Hopefully none of this matters , as Ben is the #1 and will be for at least the next two seasons.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    no one would take LJ. When he is done with the Steelers his NFL career is over .

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure I follow you. Whats the downside to claiming a player off waivers? I think only if you pull a player from another teams PS are you required to put them on the 53. If you claim someone off waivers, I think you are free to do what you want with him. If thats true, I doubt he clears waivers.

16. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Not a chance in hell because Dobbs as of this moment is not NFL caliber. Best he can hope for is practice squad-worthy...

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There has to be some negative or it would happen more Blast. Maybe the team making the claim is subject to the original salary conditions which would make just signing them to a one year deal more attractive

18. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    If Dobbs continues to play well he will be trade bait. Landry gives the Steelers a seasoned reliable backup. Dobbs does not.

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yep in doing a quick search the team making the waiver claim on a non vested veteran(less than 4 yrs) is on the hook for the players full salary and bonuses or garuanteed money.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm a Dobbs fan, no one is giving up anything for him.

He's on his rookie contract, that's not much of a deterrent.

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Seriously, that's dumb. Why even invest the 4th rnd pick then.. Seems like a waste of a pick. You're going to tell how a qb can develope after such a short period....doubt it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I'm not making any predictions but the Steelers might be concerned that Jones won't resign with us. Do they really want to draft a new #3 next year, meaning they'd be drafting a QB 3 years in a row?

Also the Steelers don't normally put a QB on the practice squad. I'm not sure they ever have. They generally use the PS as emergency depth as much as player development. Because of Jones's contract situation they might use a PS spot for a QB but that's not a given.

The argument that they're going all in for one major push this year makes sense, but that's not the Steelers M.O.. They have a long history of building their teams with an eye on the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Of course there's always the possibility of signing Jones to a contract extension, but I suspect he'd prefer trying to find a starting job elsewhere. Yeah, I know he's not ever going to be a pro bowl quality QB but even mediocre QBs can start for some teams, as we've learned in the Stoudt Malone Brister Graham odonnel Maddox years.

23. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    So it's better to keep a guy that you know isn't even a 3rd QB talent on your roster? How is that smarter?

Why even invest the 4th round pick then? I would not have drafted him but they probably drafted him to find out. In last years preseason, we found out. It doesn't matter how much supposed talent you have, if you can't keep the interceptions down then you can't win.

It seems like a waste of a pick? Most draft picks are.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    and how often have they been in the position to put a QB on the PS until now?

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    My point is that they don't know what kind of talent they have. You are all for cutting a guy after one season and really not even that. In your previous post, you wanted to cut dobbs after 4 measly preseason games. wow, great insight. Nostradamus much...