1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers @Eagles Preseason game 1 gameday thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Aug 9, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I disagree with the assessment of Jones compared to the others. That's ok though.

As for Ben, he did have Jerome Bettis to lean on. Add to it his size and mobility (ie capability to extend the play) he was able to break down the complexity of the game and make it more like backyard football. It took Ben some time to be your pocket QB like he's developed into today. For a long time there, he struggled with holding the ball too long. It's obviously not as easy as it looks at times.

That's the benefit of being big and athletic at QB. I remember one time Ben shrugged off a blitzing safety from behind. Pretty cool to see.

Ideally, it'd have been good to have another Hall of famer in Bell to back up Mason, but he won't have that luxury that Ben did.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yup, Ben did have Bettis to take a lot of the pressure off him. He also had a coach who would 'win by attrition' whenever possible, relying on the defense to hold field position and make big plays.
    About L Jones, would you feel more comfortable going into a season with him or NOD as starting QB?

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Jones, but only because O'Donnell is 52 years old. :cool:

The serious answer is O'Donnell. He certainly wasn't great, but he at least was a starter for parts of his career.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You're right......for now. If we need to win a game or two right now he's the guy. Idk it's just that I'm feast or famine when it comes to sports. If Ben goes down we're screwed. I'm thinking more long term LJ definitely isn't the answer. Rudolph might be the future. I think it was Blast that mentioned Jones contract status. I take that into consideration as well. We still really don't know what we have in Dobbs and there is a risk of losing him albeit a small one. It's just looking to me that Dobbs has made some strides and with his intelligence and athleticism there may be some upside. L J to me hasn't shown the improvements he should being here 6 years. I'm quite sure LJ will be the backup. I hope we can get Dobbs to the PS. I'd like to give him more time to see what he can be....

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Interesting stats to look at.. Passer rating

Neil O' Donnell - 81.8
    Landry Jones - 86.2

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/ODonNe00.htm
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/15904/landry-jones

I watched Neil as a teenager growing up watching the Steelers. IMO, his big role was to be functional and to not make a mistake and lose the game. The Steelers defense was expected to make big plays and win the game. Pretty cool to see as they made it happen. Very rarely could I or anyone I watch the game with have confidence when the team was behind that he was going to come back and win it with NOD at the helm. The same story for most QBs the Steelers have had actually up until Ben, which is why you don't hear me be too hard on him as I remember what it was like up until him.

I think Landry Jones gets some unfair criticism. I ultimately think people just don't like him for some reason or another. I don't think he's ideal as a starting QB, but I never thought NOD was either. I'd take Landry over NOD.

But I'd be drafting a QB the following year.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I believe he was a starter mostly due to lack of options to be honest.

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Dobbs might get picked up off of waivers and not make it to the practice squad. I'm hoping he does as I like the potential. He's very much a project still. I do like his size and mobility. If he can figure it all out, he could be very dangerous at QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Dont forget shazier was nothing special his rookie year, 24 solo tackles 12 assists 1 PDEF no sacks or picks, I remember everyone was blasting him for over running his tackles and not making any big plays, edmunds might have a better rookie year than shaz had or he might need to acclimate like shaz did but to declare him a bust before he plays his first game is very premature, it wont be that hard for edmunds to have better rookie year than shaz did because the bar isnt very high for him to do it... ......

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The bottom line is some guys just don't like the pick .They think it was a reach and will almost go out of their way to criticize and root against him just for the fact that they can say...I told you so.

I say.....give the kid a friggin' chance....

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I noticed on the highlights that during the Sutton interception that Edmunds has the slot/TE guy who runs an up and out towards the sideline. Edmunds is draped all over him an when the interception happens he goes into blocking mode being careful not to engage too early and draw the penalty. It was impressive considering how 3rd year man Matacavich was next to Sutton when the pick came and picked the wrong guy to block otherwise Sutton could have gotten the seam and had a bit more return yardage. Not to dump on TM but he just made bad mistake's all game.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He had a couple plays where he was in good position to force difficult throws. Look the kid supposedly has great character,comes from a football family and athletically is elite. I know it doesn't mean he's gonna be great but all the tools are in the shed....lets see if he can put them to work.

12. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I'm going to withhold judgement, as I have seen that Philly D make Ben look almost as inept as MR did.

13. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Well, to start they don't even play the same position, so it's silly from the get go.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Passer rating isn't really a fair comparison when one guy has played in less than a handful of games, the other guy played several seasons. It's not that I don't like Jones, it's that he reminds me of Kent Graham when under center. Deer in the headlights. I'll go out on a limb and say L Jones will never be a starter in this league,but he'll probably keep making rosters for the remainder of his career. I feel the same way you do about Ben though, he's been clutch more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yup, and that's probably why coach and Colbert fell in love with him. They had dinner with the Edmunds family after VT pro day and might have got a lil starstruck.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...draft-2018-tremaine-trey/stories/201804270176

I hope the kid pans out, obviously. Would he have been available in a later round, no one really knows. Were there better options at his position when they drafted him, no one knows that either, but time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The main argument with Edmunds is - What is he?

I'm just not sure the Steelers even knew. They are gambling on his athleticism, character and work ethic.

Hope they are right.

Riskiest pick we have made in my time.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a bit of an unfair comparison. Jones started five games in his career. He has 169 career passing attempts. His last two starts were meaningless final games of the season against awful Browns teams.

O'Donnell started 100 games in his career, not counting playoffs. He had 3,229 passing attempts. He was a legit NFL starter his last two years as a Steeler. He wasn't great, but he was a legitimate starter. Jones has never done that and I would imagine trotting him out there for a full season might expose more flaws in his game.

I wouldn't be satisfied with either guy as a starter, but O'Donnell was clearly more accomplished as a pro.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    just saying,

Neil O'Donnell versus Landry Jones, no comparison, no matter the passer rating.

19. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Is someone actually arguing L Jones is better than Neil OD? I hope that person is 16 years old.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Add in that TE is a Christian and from VT and that made Tomlin over-value him.

21. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea but, he's a Christian and from VT so he must be worth a 1st round pick!

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Huh?

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011

image.jpeg

Story couldn't find a straw man beating a dead horse.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    yea but theres no saddle...any country boy would see that.. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    No. Go back and read what was posted.