1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bold prediction

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Aug 10, 2018.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Matthew Thomas takes Matakevich's spot on the 53 man roster, Thomas has more upside.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Don't think Red goes anywhere. Thomas might make it but I think destined for PS.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    that is bold, but it has merit so far.

I'll do another one...it won't happen this year but I see Chickillo playing his last days here. His contract is over after this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I guess the coaches see something in Matakevich, but so far it hasn't shown on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I hear ya... Keep waiting and I know last year the injury limited him etc... But while he may be heady and game no doubt it just doesn't seem to be there outside of special teams. Still early yet we'll see how the pre season rounds out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our linebacker situation is gross. Inside/outside starters and depth lol just atrocious. No, Watt can’t make up for that.

I miss shaz

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I also concur that Matthew Thomas is capable cracking the final 53. Nevermind the athletic gifts but what many of us saw last night is what is going to get him a spot; versatility.

He played some outside linebacking in addition to inside linebacking. Looked good for both. Should this trajectory continue, I would not be surprised he will punch his ticket.

For him to supercede Tyler Matakevich though would be something. However, that would have to account for two variables;

1.) Tyler continues to have bad performances for the remainder of the Preseason

And

2.) Matthew Thomas lights it up in both Training Camp and the remaining Preseason games.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Special teams that's about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Big Red reminds me of Clint Krediwalt. Hell of a good special teams player, but you really hope you don't have to see him start at his real position.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dirty RED

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably right and I like Chick. I have to admit it was a little disappointing to see him get beat around the corner Thursday. It happens too often . I would of thought he would be doing a better job than that. He is another one of those guys who has great camps but is mediocre when it counts.
    I can see him returning though depending on what happens with Dupree because I think he would be relatively cheap insurance......or I can see him going to NE to become Vrabel 2.0...

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Oh your right Dirty Red, I was watching Secretariat on Netflix and had Big Red on my mind.

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I was going to post something similar. And I will take this a step further. I think the Steelers should prepare to start Matt Thomas alongside Vince Williams.

Clearly Matakevich is not going to be the answer at ILb. IMO Bostic is not either. They are below average players with almost no upside. So why not start a rookie who has great instinct and is all upside.

What's the worse thing that could happen? Even if he stinks it up, he can't stink it up much worse than it is now. Give this kid starter reps and see what he does over the next 3 weeks. If he plays better than guys in front of him then put him on the field and let him play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Vince looks like he cycles lol he’s strong but slow. Everyone else needs to get on PEDs ASAP minus WATT lol

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What a horse!

• Like Like x 2
  16. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My prediction is the Steelers make a trade to bring in a ILB (probably a receiver), Dupree gets another injury prior to game 3 and the Steelers reluctantly eat crow and court Deebo back to Heinz. He in turn assumes the starting OLB position game 4 at home against the Ravens.

17. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I have touted MT as my favorite UDFA immediately after they signed him. He could be what saves our otherwise joke of an attempt to fix our ILB unit. As I said before: You don't lead FSU in tackles for two years unless you have something. That D was great. I will go one further: It would not surprise me if MT had a bigger impact than our first round draft pick.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There was a bunch of us on here touting Thomas after he signed as a UDFA.

19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Thomas is better than Tyler and potential to be better than Vince or jon

20. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm curious why he wasn't drafted.

I found 2 funny weaknesses in his draft profile:
    Technique seems optional to him
    Looks lost in a fog on play-action and will chase ghosts that aren't there

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They should. Don't want to see Fort anywhere near the field.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I said earlier this year the Steelers have the worst linebacking corps in the NFL. I stand by that statement

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Fort is having a really good camp.

Picks, passes defended, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries of those forced fumbles. Plus the kid CAN play some STs he's not bad at blitzing up the middle either.. He and Thomas are the best two playing right now. Heck if I was the coach ID have these two paired on the field together and make our ILB spot mobile again. They both can run. We keep searching but the answer might be right under their nose. JMO.:cool: