1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers @Eagles Preseason game 1 gameday thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I was gonna say: Pat is 6-2. How tall is AB? 5-10?

2. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    So, our Superhero first round pick had a total of 3 tackles, no sacks, no ints, no passes defended...

But it's early, for sure.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Edmunds won't start. It will be Davis and Burnett vs. Browns week 1 if they are healthy.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I was always impressed on how well Eli held on to the football on critical 3rd downs. I'm sitting there thinking, "who's this guy", and I did that repeatedly.

Patterson made some plays. He did have a drop though in the game which would have been a big play. He did make some great plays though. So it'll be interesting to see how this plays out going forward.

I think the Steelers have good quality at the WR position for the starters and for depth. Not something I'm concerned about at all.

5. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think where you and others fault is that the 28th pick of the 1st round is going to be a superhero.

What I take from it is they are looking for a quality situational player that fits their needs. I think it is far too early to judge his performance on that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    You get spoiled when you have a lineup like Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland, and Chad Brown. Not to mention Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson.

We did have arguably the best ILB in Ryan Shazier. Major setback that hasn't and won't be easy to overcome.

I don't think the guy will play again, but you can't stop hope, especially from his perspective. Hard to see him struggle to walk when the guy could run 4 times as fast as I could.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not saying I would take Dobbs at this point....I'm just tired of Jones,he doesn't move the needle at all for me. If Ben goes down we're cooked anyway....at least Dobbs has some athleticism. Jones is what he is . I feel he should be so much further along and I just don't see it. In general I just don't like seeing guys hanging around that really aren't progressing....Jones puts me to sleep...

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    All the time and familiarity with Landry would be very hard to overcome if they want to bank just on Dobbs' potential. I would think moving Dobbs would make more sense imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Brother, you don't use a first round pick on a "situational player" and if you do, you have failed.

I'm not saying he has to be a starter week one (See Polamalu) but he damn well better become at LEAST a two-down
    (preferably 3) starter at some point.

I am not one of the posters "shouting from the trees" about what a super star TE would become, but others sure were.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What counts as a pass defended? I know he had at least one ball that he knocked away as the tighten tried securing the catch. Again I'm not sure what you are expecting him to show given the situations and playing time. I will give him and the rest of the secondary a negative grade on at least one play where Edmunds maintained his zone and allowed the slot recever to run free and get a good first down completion

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You don't really think Dobbs has trade value, do you?

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm watching the replay on NFL Network now. I see what people were saying about Bostic and Burnett looking terrible on a big run by Ajayi early on. That looked far too much like what we saw last season. Bostic looked better on some other plays.

The more I see Matakevich, the more I am certain that he just isn't athletic enough to get the job done in the NFL. Last night was just another example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Other than the play you mentioned I think Bostic looked pretty good, certainly better than what we had last year after Shazier got hurt.

Agreed about Dirty Red. Dude is just too freaking slow.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    No none whatsoever. I guess by me saying "moving Dobbs" I meant trying to get him on the PS. I wasn't very clear on that one I guess. my bad lol

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I keep seeing Patterson listed as 6'2.

He measured 6'0 1/2 at his pro day.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    but that was before he stretched out for that TD grab :lolol:

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm 5'12" but with the right shoes and some starch in my shirts i pass for 6'2" lol

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You're right about it being too early to judge his performance, but I bet there will be players that were drafted after him that will be superheros.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    That'll always be the case. How many people would have picked Troy Polamalu #1 overall if they knew how good he'd be?

No one is certainly arguing now that it was a mistake to trade away a third round pick to move up and get him.

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I look at Jones as your Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomzack, Tommy Maddox types. They are functional players that utilize the talent around them that can manage the game and have spurts of making good plays while minimizing the bad. Jones is good as a backup QB. I don't think we are screwed if he's in.

I do; however, see some very bad things happening if we'd throw Dobbs or Mason out there. They have plenty of rookie/ young player mistakes they need to iron out. Jones has a clear advantage there.

In short, I don't think we're a better football team if Jones were to be released.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Obviously they see starter potential in him. "Situational" meaning utilizing him in different ways in various situations. Not situational as in not being a 3 down starter, which obviously they think he is and can be.

I really think this guy's going to make some plays to appease yours and others concerns. It is good to remember as you point out that Polamalu didn't even start as a rookie initially. I don't think Terrell is on his caliber, but I think he'll be a good player in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yup, that was my point. That's what makes it interesting.

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Tyler had the faceplant that didn't help him on that pass rushing play. Agreed I don't see him as starting potential. Think he works good for special teams.

As for Bostic and Burnett, I liked what I saw of Bostic overall. Didn't see much of Burnett. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Bostic might appease my concerns at ILB, but I still am not that impressed with the depth. It is a bit of a concern of mine this year.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Gotcha. I've actually seen people post here thinking Dobbs does have trade value. I do not understand what those people are thinking.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    NOD and Maddox had more upside then L Jones has shown so far.
    We don't know with Mason yet. Ben stepped in as a rookie and kept the mistakes to a minimum.