1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Winners & Losers 1st preseason game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Aug 10, 2018.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I didn’t get to watch the game last night. Can those who did post some winners and losers?
    Thanks in advance!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I will my man! Later today though. Work starts very soon I am afraid.

I will have it in the evening. I promise!

3. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Loser Big Red

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've only watched the 40 minute version so far, and had the Philly commentary, so need to check back with who was in on what plays. But from what I've seen so far, for me:

Winners
    - Connor looked good.
    - Ridley looked better, although he was in later in the game. Running and catching, played to win.
    - Patterson. TD catch was great.
    - I'd say Dobbs looked much improved, more comfortable moving in and out of the pocket, compared to last preseason.
    - Hargrave seemed to do well.
    - Washington showed some brilliant flashes.

Losers
    - Problems with zone coverage and receivers finding the dead spots. Although as I say, couldn't see who was in on the worst examples of this.
    - The extra point defense - penalised twice for lining up over centre twice?

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Thanks!

6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good breakdown.
    Someone said it was Frazier lining up over center both times to draw the flags.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Winners-Steelers
    Losers-Eagles
    :hehehe:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The 1st team defense really struggled in zone coverage especially Williams and Bostic. Bostic was much better attacking downhill than he was waiting and being patient. VWilliams just doesn't have the speed to play coverage in space. TM was all over the place just couldn't find him rhythm and looked silly on several plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. TheDFP58

TheDFP58 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Ridley and Connor both looked good. Coaches called Ridley's number a lot to see what he has.

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, there were some plays where Bostic was outplayed by RBs/WRs, and others when he all over the play before it had started.

I'm glad the cuts all come at once this year, because there's a lot more needed to be seen from the LB corps to see who's going to give us the best chance when the real games start.

11. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    With Bell likely being gone next season, it makes sense.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    he's our worst defensive player. dude doesn't have the size, speed, or smarts lol. Vince Williams looks like ray lewis compared to him

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Winner of the Night / James Washington
    JW showed flashes of brilliance. The pass he caught from Rudolph down the sideline was a thing of beauty. It wasnt just that he highpointed the ball. It was that he ripped the ball out of the air and pulled it into his body like a 10 year all pro. This guy is gonna be good.

Winners
    All 3 QBs

Landry started the game confident and left with a perfect passer rating. Dobbs played the best I have ever seen him since hes been here. Rudolph had some good and some bad. But way more good than bad IMO.

James Conner / Stephen Ridley
    Both backs looked great. Ridley looked better than Conner, but was in the game later and got more reps.

Damoun Patterson
    Patterson was already a camp darling. Now he will be the guy everyone is pulling for to make the 53. He could have helped Mason Rudolph get his first TD pass. MR threaded the needle, and Patterson seemed to show poor technique in finishing the play in traffic. Other than that, he was great all night. TD catch from Dobbs was sweet!

JuJu Smith Shuster
    JuJu took a dump on the Mark Madden article early in this game.

Randy Fitchner
    The offense performed well no matter who was in. This is a vast improvement over Haley's pre-season offenses where it looks like all the guys on the field just met 5 minutes ago.

Losers of the Night / Jon Bostic & Tyler Matakevich
    I keyed on ILB all game long. It was ugly. Bostic showed poor instincts on multiple occasions. He missed tackles. He over-pursued plays. He looked an awful lot like Sean Spence in his #51 jersey. This is not a rookie. I would love to say it will get better, but this is why Bostic has been released by multiple teams. Everything I said about Bostic goes ditto for Dirty Red. Dirty Red was even worse. He looked absolutely lost at times. He seemed to try and make up for being lost by running really hard, which caused him to run himself right out of plays. Neither of these guys looked very good in coverage either.

Losers
    David Decastro

Its hard to put Decastro here. But he got taken to school by Fletcher Cox, and got Landry killed. It was All-Pro vs All-Pro, but im still giving David the L here.

Zone Coverage
    Seemed to be holes in the zones all over the place. It was hard to even tell who was at fault on some of the big pass plays because it seemed like miscommunication amongst more than one person.

Pass Rush
    There was none until late into the game. They should have put Ola#92 in the game sooner. He lit a spark!

Keith Butler
    Hey Coach! I know its only pre-season game one. But your squad looked a mess. Get it together Bro!

Honorable Mentions
    Matthew Thomas played really well. Showed more instincts than our starters. Ola Adeniyi looked like a real prospect. Cam Sutton played well. Fitz Toussaint played really well. Seemed to show some burst, and aggression. Jaylen Samuels got very little work and didnt seem to have much burst when he did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...-steelers-preseason-31-14-win-against-eagles/

Here's an article on the subject.

The two young OLBs looked promising. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi sure looked like another #92 we know of.

Angry Red had a bad night but I'm not ready to close the door on him yet. His missed sack looked foolish.

Patterson seems like the real deal - HB could be toast.

I thought the RBs put forth a good effort, wanted to see more from Samuels. Ridley didn't put up #s to wow, but I thought he looked strong.

My favorite breakfast bread (Croissant) looked solid, faster and lighter.

[​IMG]

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Toussaint definitely looked crispier ...I mean crisper out there. He was breaking some tackles and the defenders seemed to be flaking...I mean falling off of him. Supposedly he is lighter this year. The warm weather must of baked some of that weight off. Maybe he's gotten a little butter ....I mean better. Who knows...a little more seasoning maybe he gets more than a cup of coffee with the team....

16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    The ONE thing he is supposed to have is instincts, but he seemed to even be lacking there - we knew he was slow, weak and small.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ridley didn't run the ball very well. He made his plays catching the ball.

Bostic I thought looked good against the run.

VW didn't even sniff a tackle.

Dirty red had two ugly whiffs but also led the team with 5 tackles.

Thomas, bostic, fort would be my top LBers. Vince is really nothing special.

Conner ran well.

DBs still look more together under Bradley. 2 picks.

No pressure from D-Line.

Chuks settled in and played pretty well.

Unspectacular game all around but that is normal game one of preseason.

We are averaging 31 points per game without Ben on offense.:smiley1:

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I just saw the game on NFL Network:

QB Josh Dobbs seemed to only throw the ball to his right side. Maybe he was just trying to get the ball out as quickly as possible?

I hope all of the "noodle arm" critics of Mason Rudolph have seen that his arm is fine. He still, sometimes, puts too much air under deep passes but they are still very accurate. His overall accuracy was very good. One play I liked was when he was under pressure, had nowhere to go with it so he throws it into the ground in front of a WR to just get rid of it.

WR Damoun Patterson hands are very good but he seemed to run lazy/sloppy routes and did not seem to show much speed at all.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea, it's PS....much of what we saw was from players who are 2nd to 4th string. The no pressure from D line doesn't concern me. But I liked how the backs ran.

20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    JuJu is gonna be the next Steve Smith. That jump ball he made was money. Love seeing little guys win the 3 flys up game.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I disagree with you regarding Patterson's speed, but he definitely ran a couple of bad routes, including one on what could have easily been a touchdown.

22. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017

Juju ain't exactly small at 6'1" 215.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I think Patterson has enough speed to play in the NFL but he is going to have to learn to run better routes to be more successful.

24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The poor ILBs are really going to hurt this Defense, especially if the front 3 pressure doesn't improve. Just another reason I hated screwing around with Bell. Should have cut him loose, signed a vet RB and gotten a real ILB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Definitely...his routes are lackadaisical. He doesn't have suddenness in his cuts no head fakes... And n a perfect world guys would be running every route like its his last....like AB. He's young and inexperienced maybe AB will start to rub off on him. He has some potential but I don't think enough to crack the 53...
    Maybe PS until he progresses....