1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers @Eagles Preseason game 1 gameday thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Aug 9, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But DHB makes a great decoy if used properly. Just wait, it’s coming.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with you. I'm just not sure it happens.

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    That was ugly.

4. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    It just occurred to me who the corner was guarding Washington last night. It was Avonte Maddox the corner from Pitt..:lolol: I kinda feel sorry for him.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Juju is annoying af sometimes but dammit he’s good

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Patterson played well, but Eli Rogers has been good on many 3rd down plays over the time he's been here. If it came down to the two, I'd stick with Eli.

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He's got a youthful personality, but not overbearingly cocky. I think it's a good thing. Good for keeping energy and spirits up.

That and the kid can make some plays. Glad he's on our team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    Agreed. I'm only 26, so I think I'm just outside his generation of doing stuff and it's annoying as heck. That being said, I'm glad he's a Steeler.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'm really liking James Washington. Seeing some very good things from him. Very good pickup with the second pick. We are very strong in the wide receiver department currently IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    He had atleast 1 ST tackle too, maybe 2. He is just the guy who does everything right. Might have a little Hines Ward in him.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    First positive - I was impressed with the team discipline especially from the 2nd/3rd unit. Eagles seemed to be way less disciplined. I believe the ref was Gene who basically said they screwed us in the Pats game so I need to see more games. But one thing I remember was a high snap for Eagles and normally a dumbass Steelers player would come in and blow the QB up in the back/get flagged and negate the yards they lost but they didn't do that. Also, not as many penalties on KOs.

DL/LB's - Are going to be the biggest issue this season again. Too many yards a pop. Need to make the switch to 4-3.

Secondary - Looked solid.

Washington - One big catch. I expected to see more from him. I honestly thought Rudolph would defer to him a lot but wasn't the case. Rudolph was in a groove with Patterson.

Edmunds - I didn't see much from him.

Marcus Allen - Did he play? I don't think I saw him.

Punter - After seeing the Eagles punter. Berry needs some competition. I've been saying this for awhile but he's one of the worst in the league imo.

I wanted to see more from Conner and especially Samuels but still games left. Like to see Adams, Adeniyi, and Thomas get 1st/2nd team reps next games. We know what we got in big red and it's not pretty. Thomas almost had two sacks. Adeniyi was disruptive and had that strip.

12. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    He reminds me a bit of Juju, actually. He's not an over-the-top unbelievable talent, but he just doesn't make many mistakes. Love it! Pittsburgh knows their receivers.

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I remember a time when Pittsburgh used to know their Linebackers. Man do I wish that were still true.:lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    What worried me is Landry showing no pocket awareness. He’s been here too long to not be getting that down.

Rudolph was showing the same thing. His strip sack, he rolled out and started running left when he had a perfect area to set up and make the throw. Then he panicked and tried to scramble out and fumbled.

You can tell with Rudolph that everything is there though. All of his throws were where he meant them to go.

Patterson and Washington looked like smurfs out there on the field but man can they both ball. Watching Patterson’s acrobatic catch for the TD and Washington go up and get that ball we’re both a thing of beauty. Once again, we shouldn’t have any problem with our WR core for the foreseeable future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    *Avonte Maddox (Aidan Maddox is a clothing line. Shoot me, I'm a girl...):smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Exactly my problem with him. He is so stiff and immobile in the pocket. He basically needs to be completely unmolested to have a chance at making a play. The sack where Decastro got pushed upfield could have been easily avoided if Landry simply stepped up and to his left. Ben would have done it without even looking at the rusher.

17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    That was a big knock against Landry coming out of college - Pocket Awareness. He has never improved it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    Yep. Took the words out of my mouth. Simply stepping up would have avoided that sack. But he stood his ground.

The other one was the Eagles showing a full out blitz. All he did was take the snap and got happy feet and looked for a way to run out of it.

He’s in the last year of his rookie deal. If he hasn’t even figured out his hot reads yet, then maybe it is better to go with the two young guys to back up Ben. I think we can all agree that we are probably in trouble if Ben misses any major amount of time anyways. So it would be good to get those twos feet wet.

May be Landry can show massive improvement to either change my mind, or bait another team with a horrible backup situation to may be trade a 6th-7th for him. I don’t know. I’m just spitballin at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No, he is not. He signed a 2 year contract in 2017. It wouldn't surprise me if he's signed again after this year, for backup money of course.

People need to come to grips that Landry Jones is Charlie Batch 2.0. He'll be the "Don Strock" to Roethlisberger and Rudolph. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

20. Steelers4Lyfe

Mar 13, 2018
    I must have missed that. It makes the discrepancies in his game even worse then. I can’t see them giving up on Dobbs already. The only thing that makes sense is to do something with Landry.

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Dobbs has a future on a QB-starved team. Steelers are not one of them. Dobbs may turn out to be a good backup and maybe a full-time starter someday... just not with the Steelers. IMO, this is the best QB lineup we've had since Ben > Batch > Leftwich. It's a good problem to have.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s one preseason game so let’s not jump yet, but I agree.

I also suspect you might get a different response from some other part of the universe. ;)

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I've gotta see more from Patterson. He looks legit, so far. Looks like he's about the same height as Doug Flutie. That's a concern... but he looks quick and shifty enough, with good hands, to overcome his lack of height.

EDIT: Patterson is 6'2" but he looks short on tape. :icon mrgreen: Eagles CBs must be Plax height.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My comment was geared more towards the end of preseason and if Patterson continues to shine.

It's also based on how little value DHB brings as a receiver. Having Patterson play gunner doesn't bode well for that person from another part of the universe favorite player.

25. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Not if Patterson keeps this up. No way. He looks legit WITH hands...better than HB or Eli have ever looked, preseason or not.