1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    As I said in another thread, I liked how Dobbs looked on the field compared to last season. A lot of development there, and also running plays that suited his skills (even in the vanilla preseason playbook).

The good thing about last night was getting to see how their mechanics and poise compared. I'm not reading much more into it at this point. After the next two games, though... things may get interesting.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah. I'd rather he did that in the first game of preseason, took some time to work on it, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    only thing I can guarantee in life is death and losing to the pats lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    As was pointed out, one fumble was a botched snap that Rudolph got back on top of it. Needs to be cleaned up but not clear whose fault it was.

The other fumble all on Rudolph.

There should have been a TD to Patterson. He ran a real sloppy route. That was a TD all the way.

#14 got hit right in the hands and dropped the ball.

There should have been another 30 yard reception to Patterson. Beautiful throw by Rudolph but Patterson struggled with press coverage and couldn't get to the spot on time.

Rudolph hit a bunch of out routes. Had the nice catch by Washington. I thought Rudolph had great footwork coming out from under center. Really quick feet.

In the end, his overall numbers were pedestrian, but definitely room for optimism coming out of game #1.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pistol Patty

Pistol Patty Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Thank you. I know I am super biased but two of those incompletions (Mason's) were very catchable.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    You know, I've long not been a fan of Jones. That being said, I think currently he's still the best option behind Ben. I have to wonder though. Jones didn't get much playing time last night. I think the team is really looking to see who they have in Dobbs. Might this be a scenario where they give Dobbs some meaningful reps in preseason and then offer up Jones for trade if they like what they see? What kind of realistic trade bait would Jones be to a QB hungry team that needs a game manager?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    That`s what I was thinking during the game. Dobbs could have had more picks. He has had time to show progression as a QB. but he seems to have done little of that. At least Rudolph has some potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    My issue with Landry is that he has no mobility and pocket awareness. He just stands there and if the rush gets there he will go down. If he could move in the pocket at all I'd feel a lot better about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I thought Patterson could've caught that ball but didn't seem to try that hard for it... But that's just a bang bang reaction haven't seen a replay.

10. SouthTulsaPoke

SouthTulsaPoke Member

May 1, 2018
    Actually, Mason did play some under center in college, albeit primarily in short yardage situations. The Cowboys’ starting center played with Rudolph all four years that Mason saw game action, and was his roommate, so they had a pretty tight bond. My guess is the bad snap was due to a lack of familiarity between two third-teamers and probably is on both the qb and center.

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Samuels picked it up anyway, but I really wanted to see Rudolph sneak it on 4th and short.

Does the QB sneak exist in our playbook anymore???

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Dobbs pass to Paterson was probably the best pass of the night by a Steeler QB. But his Int, late in 1st half might have been the worst pass of the night.

I think the default is to keep Laundry as the experienced back up and cut Dobbs. I doing see anything last night that changes that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Seriously....people are hyping his perfect QB rating....please....
    Where you are wrong though is the 19 yards you say we will never see from Landry. You are obviously not taking his dropping back and getting sacked into consideration :smiley1:

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Shh! It's coming....we've been holding back for years....we are trying to put the"sneak" back into the QB sneak...don't tell anyone.

15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would be very very surprised if they even entertained the idea of trading Jones. I'm not a fan of the guy either, but if Ben gets hurt late in the season would Steelers coaches and FO want the 4 year guy who has shown the game management experience in real games or a 2nd year guy with only preseason experience/or rookie? I'm sure they look at every scenario.

But to go along with your scenario, I think a lot would depend if the team lost 2 qbs to injury or just 1. Guess my point would be, the more desperate the team, the higher the pick. Don't think they'd ever get more than a 4th on the top end. Player for player would be the way to go maybe. QB for LB or S?

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I don't think Dobbs holds any trade value. Landry might. But if all your going to get is a 6 or a 7 does it even matter? Keep Landry and Mason rostered. Squad Dobbs and be done with it. If somebody snags Dobbs so be it. It's not like we need. him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm going out on a limb here and predicting Ben as the starter.:cool:

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yes I agree on everything you said. I was responding on pjgruden's thoughts on Landry Jones' trade value.

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I see lots of people want to put Dobbs on thr practice squad. But why? You have 'the guy' in Rudolph that you want to develop, NFL teams can barely develop one QB at a time let alone two. If Dobbs ain't your guy why waste more time on him? Save practice squad spot for an LB or a DB or a OL that you can use besides a 4th string QB. Let Dobbs move on to somewhere else where he has a chance. Yup, he'd be a wasted pick, but hanging onto him for another year won't change that.

20. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Battle royale , Dobbs looked pretty strong imo
    I was kind of impressed... Dobbs is physically more dominant and imposing and can run and break tackles, you can squabble over his pick and one other throw... but this isn't over in my mind, Dobbs is still alive, if Dobbs plays well... I think Dobbs has more of a future, but... we'll see, Landry could also have a strong finish, dont want to count anyone out

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    More of a devil's advocate comment here, but if they see Dobbs' progression trending upward, they may not want to lose the chance to see where he may end up. They know where Landry Jones is going to plateau and they did invest a 4th in Dobbs. Heck they kept Shamarko Thomas for 4 years. The QB position is treated differently even if they moved up to get thomas.

I would think they put the position battle off another year if they could and try to keep all 4. They are pretty stacked at WR and RB, so the PS on offense would be maybe an interior OL and a T prospect and the 4th QB. That's only 3 players, the rest could be defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The feeling when you know your job is safe

44F069AC-B7B7-4028-B3A7-8DDAF0BDED5C.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I applaud Ben for coming into camp in the best shape in a long time. I only wish he would of started putting more of a emphasis on his conditioning sooner. You can try and slow down the hands of time but you can't stop them. I hope his new found commitment to being in better shape propels the team to another level. We need Ben at his best for however long he has left...

• Like Like x 2
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben and Mason look like jocks, Landry looks like something you'd find at Woodstock and Dobbs looks the brainy type trying to figure out how Ben manages to tie his shoes in the morning.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Also the look of the guy who didn't dress for the game but still gets first shot at the shower lol