1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well, really just a battle between Landry and Dobbs. Ben and Mason are guaranteed a roster spot.

Landry, Dobbs and Mason all did well for themselves tonight.

Landry: 4-4/83 yards 1 TD, sacked twice for -18 yards
    Mason:7-12/101 yards 0 TD's, sacked twice -5 yards
    Dobbs: 9-13/91 yards 1 TD, 1 Int. 2 runs for 19 yards

I don't expect Landry to implode, he's been doing this for a while, he preformed exactly as I expected he would. I was however pleased that Dobbs is keeping the heat on him. He keeps that up, I don't think its as easy a decision as people think it is to keep Landry. Those 19 yards with his legs is something you will never get from Landry. Ability to make plays.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Landry was 4-4 / 83 yards and a TD, against better defensive players than Dobbs faced. There’s no competition there. Dobbs is playing for trade bait.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I posted the stats, thanks for the echo.

He threw 4 passes, dont get carried away with playing against the better defense.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Only possible way Dobbs make the team is if someone gets injured. Ben, LJ, & Mason are locked-in....

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Neither of them can throw an NFL out pattern consistently, from what I've seen.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hopefully we won't have to watch any of them play in the regular season :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm sorry but Dobbs didn't look good. He should have had 4 INTs and he still has the same issues, accuracy and he locks on receivers, I was expecting a little more.

8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed! He was WIDE open on that run. Took everyone by surprise (including me).

• Like Like x 2
  9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The only thing that would have Dobbs supplanting Jones would be if Jones looked God awful.

He didn't. If he keeps this up, I can almost guarantee you it will be Dobbs being cut (hopefully to be placed on the practice squad IMO).

Dobbs is very much a project still. He had a good throw into the endzone, but he missed a lot of other throws that are standard in the NFL. Still needs work to get better.

I definitely liked the improvement I saw from last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Mason had a poor showing, not the super star you all are trying to make him into I think i'll call him mr strip fumble from now on........

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think you're talking about Landry and Dobbs.

Rudolph had the out working for him last night. Couple of nice sideline throws too. Just wish he would have hit Patterson for that TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    first ever nfl game and showed promise. whats not to like?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph is not going to set the world on fire with a bunch of 3rd and 4th stringers who will be selling insurance in a few weeks. His stats looked OK to me. Not great, but not horrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    LJ obviously gives them the best chance to win a few games if needed. It sucks because I like Dobbs and his progression. It's just 6 years vs 2. I hate to see Dobbs go. I could see the Patriots scooping him up for multiple reasons smh. What do you do? Trade him or cut him and hope nobody picks him up? Nothing we can do to try to keep him?

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yeah I hated on dobbs last year but man he has progressed. looks better than mason and shows way more promise than landry.

landry knows the system and he is what he is. His ceiling has been hit. hes a .500 baller that can fill in.

dobbs and mason can be the future. mason the starter and dobbs the backup

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers will have to stick Dobbs on the practice squad and hope he remains there. And yes, there's a good chance the Patriots pick him up.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good to see you FTB! Did you get to attend any of camp this year?

I'm pulling for Dobbs, I think he has more upside and really don't think what Landry provides is irreplaceable.

I think you have to keep in mind that Landry is in the last year of his contract. Dobbs is under their control for 3 more years on a rookie deal. He's a better QB IMO, just needs playing time. He'll be able to make plays with his legs to counter any growing pains.

Still, I agree, its a long shot.

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Writing is on the wall. Pats reportedly wanted Jackson. Dobbs is basically Jackson and more developed. High IQ which Belicheat likes. Not to mention information. I hope they were smart enough not to give him the new playbook and thinking ahead. But he's a rocket scientist, I'm sure he's picked up a lot. If they trade him at least they can pick the team and assure the Patriots don't get him.

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Neither one has played in a regular season game, so it's a little premature to designate them the starter and the backup, you dont know if LJ is a 500 baller without him starting in multiple games, you all think you know who is the future, but it's going to be a long time before we find out who it's going to be, LJ may just be that guy for all anybody knows....

20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    A little harsh but it was his worst play of the game.

He avoided making mistakes on other plays so it was disappointing to see him hold onto the ball so long there.

21. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Fantasy news:

News: Rudolph completed seven of 12 passes for 101 yards and fumbled twice during Thursday's 31-14 victory over Philadelphia. (Thu Aug 9)

Spin: From a pure passing perspective, Rudolph was decent in his debut -- leading the Steelers to a trio of field-goal drives after entering the game after halftime. Pittsburgh's brass felt as though they received good value for a potential quarterback of the future by snatching up Rudolph in the third round. Thursday's game, in which both Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs made big plays, showed that Rudolph will likely need some seasoning and Pittsburgh can afford to bring him along slowly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Correct. I thought the battle referred to in the original post was between those two. Mason looked fine, all things considered.

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If Patterson makes a play on the Rudolph pass in the end zone people would be raving about the game Mason played. Instead people are going to point to his low-light.

I look at it like this. Rudolph's footwork was great. He threw a nice tight spiral and showed great accuracy and touch on his throws. Compare that to Landry Jones or Josh Dobbs first games.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    The number one priority for every player is to protect the ball, he cant keep fumbling it away and expect to be on the field very long, he does have small hands which can be a problem playing in a cold weather climate though not cold last night, can he avoid the fumbles in the future, he must or he is hurting his team............

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    To be fair, the one was on a center exchange. Rudolph never played under the center in college. So a botched exchange in the first preseason game isn't really a shocker.