1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Dollar Defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Danthesteelersman, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Listening to the locked on Podcast. Apparently we are employing a 7DB set in certain situations. I suspect this is an effort to replace the versatility of a speed LB like Shalieve. Burnett and I think Hilton in the Box with 4 corners and FS in the secondary and 3DL and 1 Ins LB. I like the creativity. Thoughts?

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It goes back to the controlled chaos theory. You have 4 guys that could be lined up at different positions and now the QB has to determine who’s playing where and doing what. It could be Burnett in the box and Edmunds back or reveresed or a number of different combinations. My worry is teams just running it and then going hurrying up and just keep pounding it before we can get the right personnel on the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    strong running teams with bruiser backs and big lines will kill this defense ala Jacksonville, dallas, saints

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Not sure about the new dollar defense. But, let me talk about Dollar General. They are like putting these things like every 5 miles.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Their business plan is to make sure you have to drive by a Dollar General to get to a Walmart. I looked out my window the other day and there was one going up in my back yard! :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. And it all starts up front. Teams with above average D-lines that can hold their own in the trenches, can limit those bruiser backs and can effectively play with 5-6 DBs without missing a beat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    our d-line is above average but they have to be healthy. I have faith in dunbar but not our linebackers lol

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope you're right and good health from Heyward and Tuitt will remedy some of the frequent mishaps on defense. IMHO, they are overrated and not as good as advertised. Kind of like the Steelers entire offense under Haley.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    YOU my friend are on point!! I've been saying this for 2 years. Add to the mix Baltimore and Atlanta. I don't understand what the hell we're doing BUT I do know that we are TERRIBLE at the Linebacker position. No Studs, no steady pass rushers, no physicality, nada, nil, zip, nilsky.

Vince Williams is not even a 3 down back, Bostic is a below average backup at best WHO IS BACKING UP A BACKUP in Dirty Red. Bud Jones (sorry I mean Dupree aka Mr. take himself out of the play), Chick? HAAAA, What team is afraid to run at Chick? We have no studsAND no depth and the Steelers let Mychael Kendricks sign with Cleveland? for the little amount he wanted? They better drop to their knees and beg Harrison to come back for a reunion cause at least he can set an edge.

How bad is it? Tell me how many games have our Linebackers missed in the last 2 or 3 years (including Bostic). You mean to tell me this is the product you're rolling into the season with? It doesn't even look good on paper to me lol.

Combine that with these rash of injuries, Ben's annual take every 2 of 3 days off in training camp (nice way to lead and get acclimated with your new weapons), Bell's pending slow start cause he wont be in game shape and it spells another slow start on offense. Combine that with this Defense and I smell 8 - 8 or 9 - 7 this year.

PS I know it's early so you don't have to talk me off the ledge BUT I calls it like I see it.....................................................One last thing!

The Steelers should absolutely get Dez Bryant if he is willing to be that 2nd to 3rd down feature receiver but primary option in the redzone. If you never watched Dez play then I will tell you that his height and physicality is exactly what we need down at the goaline. If we were a run first option team then I would feel differently BUT WE'RE NOT!!

In the last 5 or more years I've watched the Steelers pass on and the Ravens sign (2) receivers whom I thought could help this team after Hines and Heath retired (that receiver who is a possession receiver that when you have to have a 1st down he is going to go get it). Those 2 receivers were Anquan Boldin and Steve Smith. Both were physically tough with great hands. Dez does not have the same hands but he's got size and height, better than Martavis who was SOFT. Put him on one side and Antonio on the other with L Bell and Ju - Ju and my question is: Who are you going to double or shade cover?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014

days of our run stifling elite defense is over. Seems we are just going all over the place lol.

At this point our offense better deliver the goods, while our defense better start racking up turnovers and play feisty. If we cant stop the run then strip the ball. we cant get to the qb then hit the receivers hard. we cant stop the offense then make a last stand at the goal line, etc.

offense better score and score a lot that is my narrative.

AB, JUJU, JW, Dez that is unstoppable

12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think dominating defense (or lack thereof) is only a Steeler's problem. This is a trend across the NFL and part of the ebb and flow of pro football. This is only my opinion though. If you look at the numbers from the best defenses to the worst, you will see the gap isn't is big as it appears. This is an offensive league right now, and if you don't believe me, look at the rules. I'm not saying a great defense can't help win games because that will never change, but offense is where the stars and the money are. Time will pass and defense will make its comeback (I think it is starting to already). It is hard for someone who loves defense like I do to be patient, but I will do my best!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Our d-line is average

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    You wouldn’t play this defense in anything but 3rd and long. If a team wants to run the ball on 3rd and 8+, then let them. They will be punting the ball more often than not.

• Like Like x 2
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    name 5 "3-4" D-lines better than ours...

16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    They're like the old Five and Dime stores, without the soda fountains.

17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Texans, Jets, Bears, Titans, Broncos

Ravens are tied with us, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    How about rescinding the tag on Bell and trading for Khalil Mack to bolster the pass rush looks like he is going to hold out, a Pair of 1st rounders would likely do it

19. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    And TN, Browns (don't laugh; Hyde and Chubb ain't no jokes), Chargers...KC.

The hope is they will use it when it's 2nd or 3rd very long, making teams afraid to run....but if they get the balls to do so...it will be broke.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Our DEs are quality (if healthy) but we never replaced Hampton and without a total monster at NT, the 3-4 is weak vs. the rush.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Didn't Cowher experiment over a D alignment called the "penny" with Lloyd playing the only ILB? I don't think it ever saw the light of day in a real game.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Eagles, Ram's. We saw it happen last night in first half. Lots of running lanes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If it can hold up for 4 quarters.:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Yep sure did. The Steelers "penny" defense was unvailed on opening game 1997 against the Dallas Cowboys. The penny defense was worth about that much as the Steelers got blown out by the Cowboys. Emmitt Smith had a monster game on the ground and the Steelers started the season with a home blowout loss. Cowher scrapped the penny and it was never heard from again.