1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocky's book

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ben There, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Fighting Back is being re-released this Friday. It will contain 2 new chapters. All proceeds will go to Vet Groups. Rocky will be signing autograph copies up at Steeler Training Camp this weekend. Rock2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ben There

Oct 20, 2011
    Saw it live. It was great!

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Two biggest sports thrills in my life: shaking hands with Bill Mazeroski and a few year's later, Rocky Bleier. To show what an awesome citizen Rocky is - I was waiting to get autographs outside the SoCal stadium where the Steelers were practicing in 1980 for SB XIV vs Rams, had my 3 year old daughter on my shoulders and Rocky was walking by but stopped and came right over to me smiling and extended his hand and asked how I was doing. I was so awe-struck that I forgot to even ask for his autograph. Will never forget that moment. Rocky, Merrill Hoge and Hines - all cut from the same mold.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Around 1978 a college friend of mine from Cleveland got a part time job working evenings at a small downtown Pittsburgh investment firm. One night, a disheveled looking man in a beat up rain coat came limping in the front door. My friend thought it was a homeless guy and got up to usher him out. Then he met Rocky.

I am not a vet but have friends and family who are. I have seen Rocky many times, and he is always wonderful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This is when I envy you Pitt natives. I have visited your wonderful city for a game, and plan on as many return visits as possible, but the odds of running into any of the Steeler greats here in Iowa is slim. I have met a number of famous musicians/groups working concerts, but I would give up everyone of those experiences to meet a former player. Since I mentioned your city I must say I had an awesome time when I visited. Was there for a Steelers vs Chiefs game (Steelers won something like 43 to 7). My wife's cousin was playing for the Chiefs at the time. I came with a group of 20 (half Steelers fans and half Chiefs fans). Our first experience was in a local pub. I know these places well. Fortunately I had the foresight to tell my Chief friends to cover their gear while in the pub. Had a great time but suspect they wouldn't have made it out with their lives (to be honest if we had to throw down I would have had to side with all the Steelers fans...I mean I have to remain loyal, right?). Best part of the trip was the ferry ride. My Chief friends took a lot of ribbing, but it was great fun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ben There

Oct 20, 2011
    city.jpg Come back soon!

• Like Like x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Well Jim, for what it's worth, one of the patron saints of your home state Iowa, U of I Head Coach Hayden Fry, was so impressed with the Steeler organization that he requested permission from Dan Rooney to use the Steeler's uni colors and design back in the 80's which to my knowledge is still their primary uni (and always gets me excited when I'm watching FB highlights and catch a glimpse of U of I, thinking it's the Steelers). What other State can brag about that other than PA? :yeehaw:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    You got a point!

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I bought my wife a Bleier Jersey for Christmas. I would have preferred a real throwback, but the only ones I could find were Chinese knockoffs. So, knock off it is.