1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How bad was our D, REALLY?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Other Steeler killers over the years include Bruce Gradkowski, Johnny Manziel, Ryan Mallet, Ryan Tannehill (in a Pittsburgh snowstorm), Blake Bortles, Terrelle Pryor, Deshone Kizer, Brett Hundley, Tim Tebow, Tyler Bray, Jacoby Brissett…

A real who's who of mediocrity. :rolleyes::facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I'm not sure listing QBs who lost to us deserve on the list of QBs who "killed" us.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dude... Pryor beat us like a rug in Oakland.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    OK, and 4 others listed lost to us. :shrug:

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Don’t really pay attention to stats and where our defensive was ranked.When Shazier went down the eye test said everything as we barely survived against back up qb’s and below average offensives!This year we face a whole different crew that can put points on the board.I really hope the changes we made on defense and and our changes in defensive philosophy will make a real difference or we are toast on that side of the ball with the much better offenses we will be facing.

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe that's a little too strong a sentiment, but all of these mediocre quarterbacks (and some I've forgotten, I'm sure) were able to easily move the ball up and down the field against our defense. The last 5 years, our D has had a habit of making career backups look like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Weak definition of beating us like a drum. Lost 21-18. Prior was 10-19 for 88 yards and 2 INT. O TD passes.

He did one good thing in that game. Some fans love to blow up poor performances to mythical proportions to push their narrative.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pryor did have a long touchdown run in that game, but yes, he did suck the rest of the way. Sadly, the Steelers sucked, too.

9. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Bottom line is: Terrell Pryor at QB beat the Steelers. How many times have the Steelers been whipped by 2nd-3rd string QBs since 2009?

Sorry to push this narrative on the masses, but it's the truth. I know facts and truths are damned and discarded these days, but somebody has to keep exposing reality.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That was the one good thing I alluded too. Interestingly enough, Steelers weren't the only ones surprised by that, Raiders were too. Pryor took it upon himself to do that. Was supposed to be a handoff.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    But its not the truth, if you look at the numbers of these QB's, none of them have Brady like games. Steelers lose these games or struggle and win, but not because the opposing QB kills them. Their numbers suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

They why have I seen QBs like Hundley, Brissett, Mallet, Glennon, etc... move the ball down the field easily and at will.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The same reason you think 10-19, 88 yard 2 Int performance is beating a team like a drum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    @Blast Furnace and @HeinzMustard I think both of you guys are right to a point. Yeah some backups had good games and some didn't but a lot of them kept the games close and sometimes pulled it out. This is all just recently cause there was a time when DL was here we were like 17-1 or something vs rookie QB's or QB's starting their first games. I can see both side to you guys points. :smiley1:

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They still have a great record against rookie QB's. And 4 of the 5 QB's that Jack listed, they beat. Look up the numbers, very few if any light us up. We lose or struggle against those teams because of overall poor performance. Not because any of those QB's put their team on their back and put up Brady like numbers. Doesnt happen.

Pryor played about as bad as a QB can play but because he ran a 97 yard TD, people falsely claim that he had a great game.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Blast I am not arguing that and am not saying these guys lit us up I am just saying I can see both sides. We play poor vs poor QB's they don't play good vs us jmo. I just see how people can confuse these......

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Thanks man.......

19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I am sure there were times the Steelers offense didn't play well enough or turned the ball over.

20. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Great but I don't think Blast and Heinz were talking about the Steelers offense they were talking about back up QB's vs us and that was what I was responding to. :smiley1:

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Aw shucks. It's nice to be missed.

I don't follow college football, making me pretty useless between the Super Bowl and season opener. So I defer to the experts.