1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What to take from the first game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Aug 8, 2018.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well not much. What can some guys do in a game situation will more than likely get them some extra looks and reps in practice next week. That is a game mostly to see who gets extra attention and consideration as possible bubble players to take a look at.

Now I will say Thomas should get some extra work at a couple of positions Thursday. He has gotten some time at OLB too. I am interested in seeing some more of he and fort as a combo at ILB. This is probably our fastest duo in coverage and to the ball against the run. To me this is an interesting pairing that shouldn't be overlooked or forgotten about. This airing could be something that most never really think about as a possibility for improving the position. Both are having really good camps.

OA, chickillo and huguenin will see some valuable time.

Who plays well on the O-Line that may be kept around on the PS for future use at some point. This will be important for some of these guys. Not really a point of emphasis for most fans but important for the team.

D-Line. Namely the two big guys.

Who gives themselves the chance for the coaches to give them extra reps next week to take a second look at. That's what this game is for. :cool:

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Amongst other things, I'll be interested in seeing Dobbs vs Rudolph. Even in a preseason game, seeing how comfortable they look with the offense, adjustment to game speed, that kind of thing.

Like you say, mac, not a lot to be taken from the games in terms of conclusions and judgements, but interesting to see how guys are looking at particular positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    A win, tired of the Eagles owning the Steelers.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :bscow:

We have only played Philadelphia twice in 10 years and we split. If you want to back 20 years, we are 3 and 3.

The only time Philadelphia has owned us is in 1943.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Last two games at Philly were epic beat downs. '08 and '16. The score was closer in '08, but Eagles clearly dominated that game. I remember the Steelers O-line getting owned and abused the entire game. Kinda like our D-line vs. Jax back in January.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What??!! What do you mean not much??? To me and other passionate fans on this board, the first pre-season game is the bellwether as to whether or not the Steelers will win the Super Bowl! Turns out, my prediction after the last 5 pre-season openers has been correct! :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think people forget/overlook how intelligent Dobbs is. Before anyone says it, no I'm not pimping Dobbs, nor am I pimping Rudolph. I'm pimping the guy that gives us the best chance to win each game! Back to my point, Dobbs is no dummy, and I hope he doesn't go down without a fight.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good stuff Mac :smiley1:. Interesting thought on Thomas and Fort could be a specialized role for them in the passing game,but are they fighting for the same roste spot. I would like to add Adams to your OLB list. Very eager to see Samuels and his versatility on display...

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes forgot to add Adams. He was dinged up last week.:cool:

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    My bad, I meant them playing in Philadelphia. Steelers are 0 - 9 in their last 9 trips to Philly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I want to see how these young oline guys handle a Jim Schwartz run wide-9. It won't be the starters but you can bet there will be pressure. Also I got spoiled last season so I want to see someone flash like Watt did in that 1st preseason game vs the Giants.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Kieon Adams, Jon Bostic, Cam Sutton, Mason Rudolf. Thats all.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'll see you're "well, not much" and raise to "nothing".

Suppose Rudolph and Washington connect on 3 -80 yd TDs in the first quarter. What does it mean? Nothing.

Suppose Rudolph looks lost like Dobbs did in his first few plays in preseason last year. Meaning? Nothing,.

But it is entertainment after a long off season.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It means nothing in terms of stats, wins, losses, that kind of thing.

As I say, I think it means something in terms of seeing what these guys look like in something resembling a game situation. Mechanics, comfort, that kind of thing. Nothing to draw huge conclusions off, certainly. But it's one up from reading draft reports!