1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp Updates 2018

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Jul 26, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Guys who work at Jiffy Lube are playing backyard football in Latrobe.

Everyone is injured

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is a guy who works at Dairy Queen who isn’t there.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good question that you probably won't get a answer to because you have just a good a chance to be wrong as you are right. That's how the draft works sometimes. A players value is established years from now,not on draft day. It would be more accurate and fair to grade a teams draft based on the outcome of the entire class. Your never gonna hit on all your picks . If half of your picks are good enough to make a tight 53 man roster you're doing something right. We desperately needed a S and the only viable alternatives were Harrison,Reid and Bates. Having Dunbar on our staff and us passing tells you everything you need to know about Harrison as a fit for US. I think with Reid his brothers kneeling may have played a part in their decision and Bates is viewed as more of a FS and we were looking for a more physical "hybrid " type player,hence the TE pick. It's done ,we can only hope he turns out to be great so we can put all these predictions,hypotheses and fortune telling to bed....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually the 74' draft isn't the great example it's being made out to be. First of all its hindsight so it's kinda easy to use as a example . Second,it's a fallacy that The Chief was gonna let Noll select a relative unknown out of Alabama A&M over a very well known and scouted star out of USC. The notion of that actually being a realty is like ome of those stories that grows over time. It makes for good reading though because of how things ended up working out. Who knows maybe if we took Stallworth in the 1st we wouldn't of drafted Webster in the 5th....who knows what would of happened then.....cue The Twilight Zone music....

• Like Like x 2
  5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Interesting the Redskins approach with RG3 and cosyns... I was afraid they were gonna try and take jackson. I think he was a helluva college QB but just don't see him having a great NFL career in my opinion. Even if he were to be the next Vick, that's not a selling point with me.

6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree but just for ****s and giggles since this thread has gone to hell, I wanted propose a question if for no other reason than to inject new life and new names hahahahahah

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You actually started that by suggesting that a first-round pick isn't necessarily more valuable than a third-round pick. I can't take anything you wrote after that seriously. Of course, first rounders can be busts and third rounders can be great, but if you are going to weigh the value of the two picks, a first-round selection is more valuable. This is not subjective. This is not in question. This is 1+1=2.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That doesn't change the validity of the example. The reason why Stallworth wasn't a realistic option in the first round, no matter how much Noll liked him, is that he was going to fall in the draft. The scouts were confident that they could get him much later and there is no way they would have gotten Swann if they didn't take him in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    We are clearly talking a different language to each other if you are basing value on the fact that it's a number one like in a draft trade scenario then yes based on the point system they incorporate in trades of draft picks I agree. I am talking value to the team...if the 1st is a bust and the 3rd is a superstar the 3rd is more valuable to his team....I hope you're not arguing that....I don't care when the player is picked

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He wasn't a realistic option because Swann did it on the big stage at a top program and Stallworth did it at a no name school....it has nothing to do with the fact they"knew" he would fall....if they were 100% sold on Stallworth then why didn't they grab him in the 2nd or 3rd..

and it's not remotely possible that "our scouts " knew that TE wouldn't fall to our 2nd pick...the truth is no one "knows" anything for sure....it's acceptable to trust our scouts then but not now...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What I'm arguing is if a player can be taken in the third round and you take him in the first, it does sort of work like a trade. You just gave up a first-round pick for a third-round pick. Seriously, I am stunned that you don't get this.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They took another Hall of Famer, Jack Lambert, in the second round that year. They clearly had an idea that Stallworth could fall further. Also, they had already taken a wide receiver in the first round, so perhaps they saw Stallworth as a luxury at that point. The reason they didn't take Stallworth in the third round in '74 is they didn't have a third-round pick. They had traded it. They did have two fourth-round picks, the first of which they used on Stallworth.

14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I still think this argument is amusing and am surprised it has lasted this long. I do believe the wrong argument is being made here. I don't think anyone disputes round one talent being better than round two, three etc. I also don't believe anyone would argue with the mistake in reaching. To be fair, reaching is subjective. If you go after a guy in the 1st round who might of been available in the 2nd round, I don't necessarily believe that is reaching (granted lots of things to consider). If you pick a guy in the 1st who was considered a 6th rounder, yeah that is probably a mistake (Tom Brady not with-standing). The real argument is in the value of TE. Some value TE as a 1st or 2nd, some valued him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. That is all opinion which makes this not an argument at all...your welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers should've drafted Jevon Kearse in round 1, instead of Troy Edwards in '99. That was almost as bad as passing on Marino.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's the problem. Some people are actually disputing the importance of the value of a first-round pick as compared to a third-round pick. They are actually saying reaching isn't a problem. I'm surprised by that, too.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Isn't that the draft that is quoted to be the best draft ever, with 4 hall of Famers picked, Swann at no.1, Lambert at no. 2, Stallworth at no.4, and Webster at no. 5. We may never see that again.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Damn your good....you summed it up in 1,000 less words than I did or could :smiley1:....that's the point I'm trying to make. Scribe obviously isn't happy with the pick because it sounds to me like he views it as a reach. Not sure how he comes up with that assumption. It can only be assumed it's a reach if you've done all the leg work and scouting yourself...if not you're basing your opinion on what other people who haven't done anywhere near the work our scouting dept. has done. That would basically make it their opinion also without enough information on their parts to back it up. TE was getting late 1st and early 2nd round buzz before the draft...so I'm not sure about some of the 3-5 round projections some are hanging their hats on and the basis of their dislike of the pick.I'm done arguing and I will wait and see what happens with TE and I will assess his value "to the team" down the road....thanks!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I get what you are saying and you are misunderstanding my point...Iowa kinda summed it up . You are looking at the TE selection as a reach....I'm not. You are choosing to go with some of the prognosticators that said 3-5. I am choosing to go with our scouting dept....like I said he was getting some buzz late leading right up to the draft that put him in the late 1st early 2nd range. It's not the reach you are making it out to be and I will evaluate his value to the team when he actually plays a game...nice convo though;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Dang AB destroying his teammate.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    plus he was giving TJ tips on massaging his hamstring so you know he is a triple threat. He catches, he runs, he does soft tissue rehab, watch out Timberlake AB is Boomin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    AB is a jitterbug, those feet!!!

Did you guys see some dude wearing a Polamalu jersey tried to sneak onto the field for practice? LOL he had the helmet and everything, that's awesome. In other news, the Troy imposter has had more practice than Vance McDonald so.....

TJ Watt was out again as was Dupree with a concussion.

23. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    McDonald will never stay healthy for more than a game or two here and there. Literally a china doll.

Sucks that Bud and T.J. are missing so much time when they were going to switch sides or whatever. If they don’t get back out there this week I got a feeling they will be set back for the first few weeks at least

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I guess TJ Watt was running on the side field so that is encouraging. Hopefully a return later this week :clapping:

• Like Like x 1
  25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You do realize that the value is only gauged after they have played in reg. season NFL games, right?