1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp Updates 2018

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Jul 26, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Especially those convinced in their own minds that they are smarter than the professionals....
    I forgot to ask you how the scouting of TE went down....man must of been exciting to get that 1on 1. So how was his personality,cool guy,down to earth? How is my argument a straw man when clearly you are intimating that you are obviously smarter than the entire Steelers scouting depth and front office...aren't you?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. fansincethesixties

fansincethesixties Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Winner.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That had me confused at first, too. :lolol:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are two separate arguments here. One is whether or not Edmunds would have lasted until the Steelers' picks in the second or third round. I suspect most of us are focusing on the third because we like Washington that much and wouldn't want to change that pick.

The other is whether or not reaching for a player well above his value is a mistake even if the guy pans out. Some folks seem to be arguing that it is irrelevant that the Steelers could have gotten Edmunds later because they think he is going to be an excellent pro. That simply isn't true. At that point, it becomes a choice between Edmunds and a player who is a first-round value or Edmunds and a player who is a third-round value. Of course, the former is the better choice. The 1974 draft is simply the perfect example of why that is the case. It's about getting maximum value out of the draft.

You can certainly make a fair argument that Edmunds wouldn't have made it that far. I disagree, but it's a fair point. But the other point? You might as well be saying Noll should have gone with his gut and had the Steelers take Stallworth in the first round in 1974. Sure, they would have missed out on Lynn Swann and they could have had both guys, but Stallworth was a Hall of Famer, so it's okay.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You still aren't getting it. It's not about evaluating the individual player. It's about getting the most value out of the entire draft. If you take consistently take players one or two rounds before they should go, you are costing your team talent.

I am unhappy that they failed to get the necessary help at linebacker in the draft. I thought they reached for their first-round pick and they forced themselves into taking a wide receiver early by trading Bryant.

Given those circumstances, I like the Washington pick. I think Rudolph was a worthwhile risk to take. I didn't know anything about Okorafor going into the draft, but I like what I have learned about him since. He isn't ready now, something Bud Dupree was proving in practice before suffering a concussion, but maybe he becomes a good player in time.

It wasn't a terrible draft, but I don't think the team got maximum value for its picks.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    See this is why you’re a fraud. When you get called out on being wrong you change the rules. Why do you think so many here challenge your theorys? Why do you think you’re met with such opposition on your views?

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Reaching for a player a couple rounds early can be bad. Agree there.
    Saying Edmunds could’ve been had in rounds 3-5 like Wacko is suggesting is where my problem lies.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So basically, you are saying you have been full of :bscow: and wrong since the draft!

Don’t worry, most everyone knew that.

You keep wasting bandwidth.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Time will tell.....if we hit on 3-4-5 of our picks the draft was a success no matter who or where they were selected. They tried for the LB they wanted and it didn't pan out. Safety was the next biggest need. Value to the team is more important than value in the draft. If you have 20$ to spend on groceries and you over pay for beer and some vegetables but you get a great steak on sale and still come in under 20$ you got great value no matter what the other groceries cost you....you still gonna eat good...:smiley1:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok I'll be the straw man and you can be scarecrow because you are clearly missing a brain....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think all the pundits simply gave most of the Love to Edmunds brother .By all reports the most the NFL had 1st. round grades on this kid. I have no doubt he would have never made it to our pick in round #2 . This taking him early stuff is simply wrong IMO . Now if you want to discuss this about Burns then I am all in. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    PWP, that simply isn't true. By all reports, he was a second-rounder at best on most teams' boards.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Show me those boards. Or reports linked to those boards please.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I vaguely remember a tweet about TE rising up some teams boards. Can't remember who though...

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    What if you draft a consensus top 10 player and he busts but you take a 3rd round player in the 2nd and he's a superstar....who's the better value?

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Already been done many times. Perhaps you'd like me to find some reports to prove where he went to college, too.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The more appropriate question is which player is more likely to pan out, a first-round pick or a third-round pick.

I don't understand why this is so difficult for you. It isn't about that player. it's about what you get in the rest of your draft.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No that's okay ,but if you have some Naked pictures of his Girlfriend I would appreciate those ...

20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know who is more likely to pan out. I would have to go back over the entire history of the draft and see how many 1st rounders made it big compared to how many 3rds. I do know for a fact that the draft history is littered with 1st round busts. You keep talking about value but who are you giving all this credit to that is establishing fool proof value of a player based on his draft projection. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Like I said before a lot of a players success is determined by his situation. We have seen it with our own eyes with the Steelers and we see NE make chicken salad out of chicken **** every year and that's a team who picks in the 30s every year and trades totally out of the 1st very frequently . They can clearly take players without a lot of hoopla and turn them into important pieces of a perennial championship contender..
    You said you like the Washington pick and you like the Rudolph pick....do you understand that changing any of the picks before them potentially changes our entire draft. You're basing a players value and the value of our draft based on who's opinion of the player? It is more of a opinion by these so called experts because they don't put in the time that a NFL scouting dept. does. So if we didn't pick TE because he's not worthy of our 1st pick but we take another player that busts and we wait around for TE in n the 2nd or 3rd but he never makes it to us and ends up All Pro for some other team...was it still wise and good value to pass hm up? Basically you're saying he was a reach based on the prognosticators therefore he wasn't a high value pick? So if I can find the Tweet from one of those guys who says he was sneaking into the 1st round conversation he will then become a high value pick? I need some help guys....I know I saw that tweet on draft day:smiley1:

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Since we keep rehashing the same arguement with either side having some merit in its arguement... And since the thread is totally hi jacked over TE instead of the ops intended info, WHO?!?!?!?!?!?!

WHO in your opinions would've been the max value selection with their pick in the first rd? FFS we can go on and on as to wether or not TE would've been available or off the board next rd, 3rd, even 5th rd for some folks here. Who should they have taken that would've been all sunshine and rainbows or in the very least a good value? Son of a *****, I always thought a good football player was a good value regardless where when or how he landed on the roster but I do understand folks thinking we **** the bed on a reach on a pick mired in a pool of the other 31 who have not shown **** yet... Because we all knee jerk at certain times on this board year in and year out,

So I ask again WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN in order to keep a thread about training camp notes a thread as such?

HAHAHAHAHA

22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    There is a trend here to the 70s draft of stallworth as an example. Loved how the draft panned out could care less for the theories. I dont remember this same type of hashing or rehashing before the first pre season game of a first rd pick... Atleast to this extent so prematurely. Maybe it's due to the bust labels of 2 certain OLBs? Like I said somewhat yesterday, I'd rather TE pans out in a good way as opposed to reading years and years of more Jones or Bud bust posts. I think it's simple, if the kid demonstrates he's the real deal then I'm glad period!

Of course I'm still interested on whom was the better choice over TE for team needs etc... Can somebody enlighten me? It damn sure wasn't a RB. They don't need a RB as they're intent to go 2.0 with a disgruntled Bell regardless.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I would have took Lamar Jackson I think he will end up being the steal of the draft . I might have still took Mason as well . Instead of playing meaningless preseason games , design game plans that showcase the QB'S and trade 1 of them out for much more value in the future .

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I wonder how camp is going.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I think when Tomlin drafted Edmunds he thought he was picking his brother. Only logical explanation for this.