1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp Updates 2018

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Jul 26, 2018.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I get what you're saying, but we don't know for sure that TE would still be there in the 3rd round. It's hard to know for sure where some of these players are ranked on other teams draft boards. The Steelers are typically pretty intelligent when it comes to the draft. I have a hard time believing that they would reach that far for a player. I could see if they maybe had a 2nd round ranking on him and went for it, but 3rd or 4th just doesn't make sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well there have been many fans who thought Landry was going to get cut, and Rudolph was going to be the backup to Ben this season.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No matter how well Mason does I want him firmly entrenched at the 3 spot because we have already witnessed the foolishness about him supplanting Ben. The 3rd string QB is seldom dressed on Sunday and that at least will slow the calls for a change. I like his progress so far but still don't want him at 2 unless Landry is injured

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I also said take Chubb if you don't like Michel.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I explained why your Brady example doesn't work. There is a huge difference between a first-round pick and a sixth rounder.

The correct way to look at Brady is that the Patriots were right to wait so long because he wasn't highly regarded going into that draft.

You still aren't even getting the point. It's about getting better value out of the entire draft. That's why the Stallworth thing works. Noll wanted him in the first round, but the scouts talked him into waiting until the fourth. That allowed the Steelers to get both Swann and Stallworth. I don't know enough about Lambert to say for sure that he wouldn't have lasted until the fourth round (the Steelers didn't have a third-round pick in that draft), but there is no way they get Swann if they don't take him in the first round. Obviously, Stallworth would have been fine as a first-round pick in hindsight because we know he turned out to be a great player, but it would have kept the Steelers from getting maximum value out of their draft.

This isn't cherry picking. This is me giving you a perfect example to explain a point that you can't seem to grasp.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a fair point. I disagree, but it's fair. My issue is with the posters saying it doesn't matter if they could have gotten Edmunds in the third round if he plays well enough. That simply isn't true, because if he really was a guy they could have taken in the third round, they didn't get maximum value from their draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I was going to start a thread called:

DID TOMLIN LIE TO THE JAGUARS THAT TERRELL EDMUNDS WAS THE BEST GUARANTEED MONEY IN THE 1974 DRAFT

But don’t want to crash the site, like.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It does matter if TE was 1a. If indeed they wanted the LB from Alabama in the first and they went with TE as 1a and he plays better than that guy. It's all speculation but by most accounts he wasn't our top pick before the pick. If swanny wasn't there it could have gone differently. Any of these scenarios could have been changed by one pick. I believe that they were gun shy from missing the safeties last year in so many rounds by a pick or two. Mason seemed to be that guy they took the chance and waited on this year. When he lasted past two they made the move before they lost him in 3. :cool:

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Can you imagine a world without the Immaculate Reception? :shrug:

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've just spent this entire thread trying to figure out who our Tight End pick was, guys. Finally realized you were talking about Terrell Edmunds. :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    At what point to do people agree to disagree? No matter how you spin your argument, you have no way of really, truly knowing someone's value until it plays out in the future. I suspect both sides of this discussion can find examples to punctuate their point all over the NFL, and I suspect neither side will change the other's mind. You can speculate that TE would be there in later rounds until your testicles descend, but you can't factually say that it would have happened. No more than you can factually say that Tom Brady was going to be one of the best QB's to ever play the game going into the 6th round of the draft. For those of you touting your prophetic capabilities, what are you doing wasting them on a Steeler's fan message board?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Your point isn't being lost on anyone. Obviously you want value in every pick. Our counter point to the '74 draft has been that it was in a different era and no teams really had any info on Stallworth. You don't think that if another team had the info the Steelers had they wouldn't have taken him at any point of the 1st 2nd or 3rd round?

You're still missing our point of nobody knows for sure what other teams (not the talking heads that produce 500 different mock drafts) would have done with TE still on the board had we taken someone else.
    Perfect example, Andrew Billings. Every outlet and talking head had this guy marked as a first round draft pick. Worst case top of the 2nd. Guy didn't go till the 4th round. Clearly all NFL teams saw/found something they didn't like and he slipped because of that, regardless of what Kiper and his cronies said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, that’s pretty dumb.

I did the same thing at first.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    That makes three of us dumb. I did the same....

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    C'mon man ...obviously we were gonna disrupt the space /time continuum....it's not as difficult as you think. We even have a couple resident board members who have mastered the science behind it...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    We don't know if TE would be there, but apparently Reid would have been, and he's the better S.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So what about that?

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You do know Houston drafted Reid in the 3rd before the Steelers pick came up.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well there must be a miscommunication then because I'm basing my argument over the fact that Watt Wack is adamant about TE being there in the 3rd and the Steelers are dumb for not waiting because they could of gotten other players first. I thought you were taking the same approach...of course you would want to wait and hope you can grab a player you really like later and later in the draft but there is no guarantee they would be there. If you really like a player and you've done all your homework and are confident in your decision that has been formed by your whole scouting department,then you take that player. Does it really matter at the end of a guys career where he was drafted if he helps the team to be successful?
    How would you ever really know if said player would be available in a later round? That's why you maybe draft them a round early. I don't see the big deal in that. Plenty of teams have successfully selected a player earlier than the so called experts say he should of been and they've turned out to be smart in doing so.
    Please don't tell me you sit there on draft day and watch Kipers and Mayocks best available player tickers and get upset every time we don't pick one of them...

These guys are ranked and slotted by guys who have put in minuscule amounts of work compared to how a NFL franchise attacks the draft. They don't get to know these players on a personal level and have no idea what kind of character they have. Did any of these so called experts realize what a ****iin nut Brady is about winning and preparation....clearly not or he would of been a top 10 pick. Some people are born winners and willing to do whatever it takes to be successful....how do you put a ranking on that?
    Most of a players future succes besides his ability is based on his situation and the team he was drafted to. How many great players do you see on lousy teams and franchises and on the other hand how many players that weren't the most highly regarded end up being great players because of the situation they were drafted into....look if we missed each other's points it's fine but if you are gonna sit there and criticize the Steelers because you think they should of listened to the talking heads telling them who to draft and when because this guy is ranked here and the other guy is ranked higher...you couldn't be more wrong...

Look I'll admit I wasn't exactly thrilled at the Steelers draft at the time but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and its looking like right now keeping my frustrations at bay and staying patient was the right choice. I don't know your opinion on the draft itself,I could be wrong but it sounds like you aren't happy with it. There's a difference between being a little skeptical about our selections and the rounds they occurred or being like Watt Wack spewing nonsense masquerading as facts from his Lazy -Boy adamant that the Steelers could of saved the entire salary of their scouting department by hiring him instead....

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Nostradumbass. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Not sure why everyone is so obsessed with Edmunds? Seems to me like he’s one of the few guys actually practicing and getting better. 80% of the other starters not so much

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017

[​IMG]

23. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    When you take a player that the whole world says would go in the 3rd-5th round, and use a 1st to get him, there will be unhappy fans.

24. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Actually, Pgh had two 3rd round picks, and yes, both were after Houston's where they took Reid. So I will amend my assertion to taking him late 2nd; a better player, taken a full round later.

25. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Maybe we could have gotten him in the 2nd round IDK but what’s done is done. More pressing to me are injuries to key guys like Mcdonald Bud T.J. Burnett and JuJu.

We need major contributions from everyone of them to compete for a championship this year and quite frankly not a single one has hardly practiced.