1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp Updates 2018

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Newhouse was a powerful runner and who knows what he would have done on those Steeler teams. He may have done as well or better than Franco, we will never know.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sorry but I can't believe the lunacy in this so called logic....no one is saying to take a guy pegged for the 7th round in the first. Who is coming up with these draft positions Kiper and all those other buffoons who come out with 17 mock drafts and never get them right. You guys are cherry picking examples of things that already happened. Go back and list all the sure fire players that were drafted where they were pegged and missed badly Jeeze I can't believe NE reached for Brady when they could of got him in the 7 th or undrafted. It was clearly a mistake I know for a fact they could of waited and he would of been there...
    Man were those guys right on Marino too...I'm so glad we listened to the so called experts and rumors about him and passed on him.. The reason why we knew Stallworth would last is because we had the only tape on him. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Who knows more about a player the coaches and scouts who watched them in person,sat down with them and in many cases had dinner with them or some fool on the outside looking in constantly trying to stay relevant. TEs measurables were outstanding and his character as well. We filled a position of need and I trust our scouting department a wee bit more than the talking heads...only time will tell if the selection paid off but hindsight won't make it right or wrong because in the draft you never know.
    Like others have said its like a chain reaction where one pick totally changes everything....there are so many variables , scenarios and what ifs that's it's impossible to say what could of been. We tried for a LB we missed out,we took another position of desperate need. Ok I'll play the game...let's say we took a RB and then instead of taking Washington we take a LB of S that we weren't as high on. Washington turns out to be All Pro with someone else and our 2nd Rd LB or S busts......see how easy it is to play along?
    You guys are going on the premise that you can predict the future and know who is gonna be available to who and where The history of the draft clearly shows plenty of hits and misses....it comes with a lot of questions but never the answers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We’ll that’s just an opinion.

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You know you're right but my logical conscience just can't let go of the fact at how those arguing over the selection of TE are so matter of fact in their statements without the guy or the other players we COULD of drafted instead ,having never played a game....mind boggling but I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day....

5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Be careful Glenn....I'm just trying to save the embarrassment that's clearly heading my way when he's right and I'm wrong. Just lookin out for you bruh......

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I guess if you make enough predictions and complain about everything sooner or later you’re going to get one right. Wacky complains about everything. He obviously could do better job than our guys.

7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    So did Tomlin yet say who is starting on Thursday?

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Starting what?

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If he wants to be starting something.....he's gotta be starting something......I said if he wants to be starting something....he's got to be starting something

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    If you gamble real money on preseason NFL games they should immediately throw you in a padded room

11. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Well it won’t be the starters because they are all hurt

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hmmmm...is it better to have just a great player or a first-round pick and the great player. Clearly the latter is better. That is the part that is sailing far above your head.

I really am stunned by some of the thinking here. It feels like people twisting themselves in knots to defend the Steelers' draft. It's okay to love the team and question their choices. Honest.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't think that's the problem. Most people are having an educated normal discussion. A normal amount of criticism is fine, but a few of these guys are going full throttle balls to the wall. Wacky doesn't like the TE pick. That's ok, but dang he has to blow up every thread with his nonsense and overreacting. Then Captain Clickbait starts a thread cause he's mad that Tomlin didn't give him AB's medical records and that Tomlin lied to him. Get over it already.
    Hines Negativity (I'm assuming he's still at it) with his nonstop pessimistic predictions of our season record and his nonstop babbling about how inferior we are to the Patriots. We get it move on!

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Where a player is picked has no bearing on his career. Picking high in the draft just gives you more options nothing is guaranteed. Maybe if you are drafting in a vacuum you can pick the perfect player in the perfect spot....unfortunately is doesn't work that way not even remotely close. Watt has a thread about Cleveland and their failed high draft picks. That goes to show you it's not the science you proclaim it is. No one is saying you wouldn't want a great player in every slot ,that's ridiculous . Do you not grasp how a player and a position a team drafts changes the way the next pick goes...there is a concerted effort to fill needs in the immediate and perceived needs in the future. It's not math where 1+1=2.....so based on your logic Brady was over drafted because he could of been picked later than he was.
    No one is twisting themselves in knots to defend the TE pick because by all reports coming out of camp he is exceeding expectations. It's the guys insisting that he was over drafted because they claim to know for a fact that he would of been around in the 2nd or 3rd .....based on what? Guys who haven't spent any or very little time evaluating him in person. A players character can't be measured at the combine. I would take a player with great character and maybe a little less athleticism than the opposite. Did any of these so called prognosticators spend even a second with him? I'm more than happy to criticize my team when it is deserved....but to criticize them about something that has no basis in fact is stunning to me...
    You know for a fact that the alternative to TE was gonna be a future HOFer and TE would of just been sitting there waiting for the Steelers to call....honestly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm just looking at it this way...

Maybe this current pick which is being thought of as a reach due to his presumed 3rd-5th rd ranking will turn out to be pretty damn good and we won't all be bitching year in and year out about wasting another 1st rd pick on a LB or possible linebackers with 1st rd grades that never panned out? I for one am done hearing about Jones and the over/under on Bud finally living up to his hype in his possible last season here.

All I really care about is wether or not the kid turns out to be a good football player for the team. There's could've should've And whoopsies every year across the league. Bottom line is, it's over and can't be undone.

GO STEELERS!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I want to have a poker game with some of you guys because many seem to want to chase the perfect hand and I'd be happy to take your money as you do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One of the many problems with your Brady example is the huge difference between a first-round pick and a six. It's a silly example to cover for a bad argument.

I don't know why you are having so much trouble with this concept. Getting the best value out of your draft means not reaching. If you can get a player in the third round and you took him in the first, you reached. You could have gotten another first-round value and taken your guy a round or two later. Even if the player pans out, the team could have gotten a better player with the first-round pick than they eventually got with the three.

I'd give you another example, but there really isn't a better one than the 1974 draft. If the Steelers take Stallworth in the first round that year, they don't get Swann. They would have lost a Hall of Famer because they had taken Stallworth too high. If that doesn't clear it up for you, you really are beyond help.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I want to join a fantasy baseball league with some of you guys. While you take perfectly good players like Starling Marte and Eddie Rosario in the first round, I'll take Mike Trout.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. and like you said presumed ,by who exactly ,the same guys who had Brady a UDFA , or was it the guys that said to pass on Marino or maybe the Leaf and Russell fan clubs...the bottom line is there is a lot of luck involved and most times it comes down to fit and proper development and what a player is made of on the inside...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Lol you should see my fantasy football teams. I join Steelers leagues and then draft guys who score maybe a token Steeler here or there. Sad fact of fantasy is that the Steelers aren't consistent scorers.

21. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    There is the story when Chuck Noll, Art Rooney, Jr., or whoever it was asked Paterno the difference between Lydell Mitchell and Franco Harris, Paterno said ask them to run through a wall and Mitchell will go try to run through it. Harris will go examine the wall and try to find the weakest spot and run through that spot. Do you think it was Harris' talent that made the Immaculate Reception or his brain? To say that Newhouse would have done what Franco Harris did as a Steeler shows your football ignorance. By the way, Le'Veon Bell may be more talented than Franco was. If Bell had Franco's brain, he would already have his money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow man....are there any cherries left on that tree? My example doesn't make sense because it doesn't fit your agenda ...but your example is gospel because it works for you. I see....but not as clearly as you do through your hindsight glasses. Stallworth would be a bad example as well then because he was a relative unknown and there was no chance he was going 1st round. So there's never been a case where a 3rd round pick turns out to be a better player than the 1st round pick....hilarious! Let me go through the draft when Brady was taken and find the best player selected after him so I can criticize NE for passing up on that guy when they could of taken both. Man they really screwed that Brady pick up.....the examples of players drafted lower being better than players drafted higher are almost endless. I grasp the concept of having the best of both worlds but sorry it doesn't always work that way. In fact it hardly ever works that way....You don't know the value of a draft or a player until years down the road. So to say someone was a better value because of where they were selected doesn't make sense. If a 3rd rd player has a better career than your 1st ....who's the better value?

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah let's draft a RB in the first round who had knee injuries in college, and is now injured again in training camp with a knee injury :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Explain to me how the Steelers were going to draft Reid in the 3rd? Reid went at pick #68 in the 3rd, the Steelers picked #76 and #92 in the 3rd :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    :beathorse:

• Like Like x 1