1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Training Camp Updates 2018

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Jul 26, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Quick question.....can I borrow your crystal ball when you're done with it....I could put it to much better use like the winning lottery numbers ,so I can help feed the needy....thanks in advance....

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The problem with Wack's logic is it's Wack. He's assuming that if TE is not taken in the first that the draft still runs the same. If we take someone different in the 1st then that sets off a ripple effect and the draft plays out differently. Heck anyone who's seen "Back to the Future" knows that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ......and all this time I thought a fantasy draft had to do with fantasy football exclusively....
    All kidding aside though,like you said one pick can change everything....ya hear me Mcfly...

• Like Like x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Bud has been lining up on the blindside going up against the LT rotation. TJ has been lining up on the rightside with the last few practices seeing Bostic and Williams on the inside but Tomlin said not to read anything into it other than guys getting acclimated to playing for the Steelers

5. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Missing Sunday’s practice were, wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee), wide receiver Antonio Brown (quad), outside linebacker T.J. Watt(hamstring), outside linebacker Bud Dupree(concussion), wide receiver Marcus Tucker(ankle), tight end Vance McDonald (foot), cornerback Brian Allen (undisclosed), cornerback Joe Haden (undisclosed), outside linebacker Keion Adams (undisclosed) and Ramon Foster (knee).

Camp seems to be going very well glad to see guys getting ready for the season

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Of course Landry is number 2, Dobbs improved a lot and mason is picking up steam.

Mason #2 by end of preseason lol

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This. Won't see a lot of vets in this game so the young guns will get a lot of reps. Can't wait!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Aka watching 80% of guys who will be washing cars in 3 weeks

9. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    T.J. has been lining up on the right side of the trainers table maybe? Has the dude even participated in training camp. At this rate Leveon won’t be the only one rusty week 1!

10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    vance and tj been mostly out the whole time, same with AB.

WHATS UP WITH AB LOL

11. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    First off, I was of the opinion that it was a reach for the Steelers to grab TE in the first. But I can't get behind your argument that he for sure would have been available in the 2nd or 3rd for us to grab. As I've read several people make the point of the ripple effect. Had we taken anyone else that was drafted after TE that would have changed multiple teams draft boards. Possibly make the very athletic TE a better choice for their team.

To the point you are trying to make about Stallworth/Swann there was a reason the Steelers scouts were telling Knoll that Stallworth would last. There was no combine for everyone to get the same measureables from the top rated players. The scouting groups back then was more limited. The tape available on players was limited. All points made in the link below. It even mentions the fact that BLESTO (the scouting group that shares information between teams) only got timed info on Stallworth when it was raining on a muddy track but Bill Nunn stayed an extra day to get his stats on a dry track. Also the limited video tape of Stallworth that Nunn conveniently forgot to return, the Senior bowl also palyed a part in masking how good Stallworth was as he ended up having to play as a defensive back during the game instead of his normal position. All of these points made in the link below.

http://steelcurtainrising.com/2009/...ittsburgh-steelers-from-player-to-owner.html/

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    @Formerscribe
    If my error was a 30 day revocation of my fancard then this should be at least 90 days! :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I know Instagram is mainly a younger-generation social media platform, I'd strongly recommend anyone who has one to follow @city_of_6. The account posts several clips a day of training camp. It really shows who is playing well and who is not. James Washington and Terrell Edmunds have been playing lights out!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Play 446 and 723 today. Grasshopper.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I see that Phili is a 3 point favorite.

Betting lines in preseason are as useless as .....

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Look I carry too Chitown. Why would you pistol whip someone and chance hurting your sights. Pull the trigger, he will get the Idea and knock off his Shenanigans! DUCK EVERYONE!

17. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    After some time passes you will grow embarrassed over how many of my predictions come true.

18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    All of what you say is true, but it does nothing to refute the point that you should never take a player too early no matter how great you think they are. Sure, Stallworth was an unknown to most teams, and sure, it's much harder to have players remain unknown, however, that is still a non sequitur, as if you can wait to take a player, you do. We took Pouncey in the 1st and AB in the 6th. We got both. Had they panicked and took AB in the 1st, we would not have got Pouncey. If we took Stallworth in the 1st we would have not got Swann or Lambert. The vast majority of scouts and GM's said TE was a 3rd-5th round pick. We could have got a better S in Reid in the 3rd.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't believe this is even a discussion. Of course it is a mistake to take a player too early in the draft. Even if that player turns out to be great, it was a mistake. I don't understand how any Steelers fan doesn't get this simply because we have the example of Swann and Stallworth. The Steelers had the greatest draft in NFL history because they were smart enough to wait on Stallworth. Noll obviously wanted him badly, but the scouts knew they could get him later and it allowed the team to draft two other Hall of Fame players, Swann and Lambert, and still get Stallworth. They don't get all three if they panic and take Stallworth in the first or second round.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's interesting to note that if Noll had gotten his way, the Steelers may have missed out on Lynn Swann and Franco Harris both. He wanted to take Stallworth in the first in 1974 but was finally convinced he would be there later and he also preferred Robert Newhouse over Franco Harris in the 1972 draft.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  21. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    we didn't panic with TE. we can only have assumed he would be available at later rounds. We did what we did, nothing can change that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Not really. If we don't take TE in the 1st it's doubtful anyone was going to take him in the 2nd or 3rd, and if we took Reid in the 3rd, we'd be better off.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    And we did what we did when we took Jarvis Jones in the 1st round. Nothing can change that, so does that mean we couldn't express dissatisfaction with that pick?

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    nah you can do what you want, just see you hating on TE quite a bit lol. I for one, feel good about him

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Hey, does anyone remember when this thread was about training camp? I miss the old days.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1