1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chuks Okafor

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jul 31, 2018.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think this guy might be the dark horse steal of the draft.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
  4. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We'll need him if Gilbert misses his usual 4 games.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    He obviously is very intelligent and has all the physical tools.

But he is raw, and a football newborn. He he transitions from thinking to reacting, from learning to instinctive..... He'll be a probowler...... But for now, keeping grinding Chuks, you got this..

Cajun

7. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Hawkins going down really hurt the options for depth so I hope he is a quick learner. They need him, but I also think they bring someone else in during cut downs. That would make sense to me anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    In Training Camp, both Chickillo and Dupree have assisted developing his "nasty streak" when it comes to being aggressive when engaged with opposing players. Considering he is already beginning to iron out one of his major shortcomings, I would also concur his development is going well so far.

However, keywords are "so" and "far". He has not had a lot of American Gridiron Football experience since coming to the United States. He is still in development and likely will be for some time this season. He has the lightning fast feet you would want from a Left Tackle with the strength of a Right Tackle. He just has not put it all together yet.

That all being said, any form of improvement from the first Preseason game to the last, especially if it is positively gradual in nature, is a testament of not just Chuks abilities to quickly apply the lessons learned from Training Camp to an NFL Game but also Munchak's coaching abilities the same.

Glad to see Chuks is developing well overall. Let us see if he can have consecutive positive days in Training Camp; applying all that he has learned thus far towards a positive first preseason game no less. :)

10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Getting some reps @ LT with the ones with Big Al out.....

I like it!!! When he wins he builds confidence ..... When he looses it's a teaching moment and he gets better.... A win win situation!!

Cajun

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Reports are Dupree has been taking his lunch money lately....not entirely sure what to make of that...

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Dupree should be winning reps against a player who is still simply learning the basics of the position.

As for Chuks, it tells me he has some ways to go yet.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly ....that's why I don't know how to evaluate it....

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope he develops, they sure need him to be that valuable backup.

15. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Dupree is looking like an allpro vs Chuks...... I expect Dupree too be the best he's ever been and I expect Chuks in his 1st training camp struggle....

I Don't care if he struggles !!! What I care about is how he responds the next day/week. Is Dupree giving him a " Welcome to the NFL rookie" moment? Absolutely !!!!

You don't know what you don't know and you can't get better practicing with lesser talent.

Cajun

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wait until Dupree faces off against some established, veteran LTs.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Who are those ones? Seriously who are the elite vet LT's left in the league. Heck with Joe Thomas retiring the teams in the division got pushed around by Watt last season so I don't expect a Hutchinson like performance from them this year.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    That's what I'm afraid of...

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dupree does have speed. Rookies at this stage are typically in slow motion.

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This will have to be monitored. Chuks will be given every chance but with Gilbert always iffy about making the whole season and an older QB we will need 1 if not 2 of the backup tackles to make some noise. Rodgers and feiler become critical now as options. This will be something to watch in the preseason. We can't put our QB at risk. Maybe a move will be made before the season starts for a more veteran tackle at some point. Harris blew a good opportunity for himself. :cool:

21. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So how did this guy do last night, he started didn't he?

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He did not but played as the swing tackle.

In short? Could have not gone better for him. He is progressing faster than I had thought he would. Handled Josh Sweat very well and was quite good in run blocking.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I was impressed on how he moved. Big dude. Think he played great against the 2nd string and beyond guys. We kind of need him to be able to pick it up quick. Didn't disappoint.

24. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    after I posted that I was at least able to see all of the 3rd and most of the 4th quarters. Saw him move the pile pretty good at the end of running plays so it seems the TC fights worked to his benefit. Hope he continues the progression

Side note... and I'm sure the number has a lot to do with it, but Samuels reminds me of Sidney Thornton minus the neck roll. damn near the same height/weight