1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How bad was our D, REALLY?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Strictly going by the #'s....

7th in points against (the single most important stat, much better indicator than yards against).

14th in yards per play, very mediocre.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...onType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

However, as I have said before: There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

You need to also consider: There are the games with Shaz and those without, and there is a rather large chasm between the two.

Also, a large consideration should be the opposition, and level of QB when we played them.

We played the 0-16 Browns twice with a rookie QB.

We played the Texans with TJ Yates, a 4th string QB (not even on the team until they went through 3 other QBs).

We played the Bears with Mike Glennon at QB (and lost to them).

We played Colts with Jacoby Brissett at QB (and barely beat them).

We played GB with Brett Hundley at QB (and took a huge comeback to barely win).

We played Balt. twice who barely threw for 3,000 yards as a team all season (but scored with ease on us, 38 points the last meeting).

Considering all of the above, how bad was our D? And, moving forward, we need to consider Shaz ain't coming back in 2018, AND the additions we made since, including Bostic, Burnett, the rookies and some other key players who could be healthy this season who were not in 2017 (Tuitt).

And, we were LAST IN THE NFL in missed tackles, something our DC said was "not a problem" (until Rooney put size 11 shoe up his rear end).

I think we can assume we will not have the good fortune of playing so many horrid QBs this season. As of now, we will be facing:

1. Tyrod Taylor, who refuses to turn the ball over, if nothing else.

2. Pat Mahomes, who will be in his 1st year as starter but KC is very high on him.

3. Possibly Jackson vs. Ravens. (Flacco could also have a bounce back season).

4. Matt Ryan - leap years ahead of most QBs we face in 2017.

5. Cam Newton.

6. D. Carr.

7. Rivers.

8. Brady.

9. Breeze.

Let's put it this way: If we don't improve by a good margin on D, we are in a world of hurt. Here's hoping we will be a good deal better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Don't forget Jameis Winston's backup QB... whoever the hell he is. Steelers will get owned and beat down. It's like night... it will happen.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They sucked a(t) D....:hehehe:. Stats shmats ....they weren't good enough when it counted....

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Think that is a Monday night game Heinz, .Steelers tend to show up when their in the spotlight (regular season anyways).
    Also I don't think the Amish rifle (Fitzpatrick) has ever beaten the Steelers. I can see Tampa being 0-3 to start the season.

5. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Good thing it's not Glennon. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Fitzpatrick, used to play for NYJ, had a decent season like 3 years ago. He could be the ideal scrub for Tomlin to lose to....FL team in Sept....journeyman QB, NFC team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    No, it's AT Tampa. But at least it's a night game, so the heat won't be as bad.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Depends on health.:cool:

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    @Watt Wack Very good post and I agree, people can say what they want about stats and it don't matter imo. We played some very weak QB's last year and to be fair the loss of RS was big and very hard to replace in season. I am very hopeful that the new additions we have and some players we moved on from makes us a much better team. The one thing I have said was if our D is gonna fail we need our "powerful" O to step up. I am very confident and excited to see both these units take a step forward this year and take us to #7 baby!!!!!!!!!

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I will say what I always have. With Ryan Shazier our defense was above average, but good enough to probably beat jax then lose to pats the week after lol.

Stats are just that, stats... but the eye test always proved different. When you account all averages of course our D looks good. As you stated playing multiple backup qb's and pedestrian teams(browns/Houston) pads the stats. 1/3 sacks from Houston and Cleveland alone lol.

When push came to shove the opposing team just did that. A bigger more physical Jacksonville team had it's way with our D line, our linebackers could not stop anything, our corners were lost.

That is not the sign of a great defense, nor good defense, that is the sign of a defense way over their heads with a clueless defensive coordinator to boot.

Offense being overrated sure did not help our defense 1 bit.

11. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Well written. IMO retaining Keith Butler was yet another Mike Tomlin mistake. No way on earth his pathetic job of 2017 should have brought him another season. Not one - no not one team in the NFL worries about the Steelers Defense. Those days are simply over until the Rooney family decides to make it so.... & that will require brilliant coaching. We don't have anything close to that now. Just the facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    This x 1,000. The offense seems to go into turtle mode in the worst times... too many 3 and out and turnovers vs. Jags, Patriots... teams that will make them pay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Steelers start scoring when the game is already lost and pretend it was a competitive game lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I hope we never see Mike Glennon again, that dude is a straight up Steelers killer.

Beat us at home, with a terrible Tampa Bay team, then beat us with a terrible Chicago team on the road.

If I was the Browns I would of got Mike Glennon and just started him twice against the Steelers. Then bench him the other 14 games.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Having one boss calling the D schemes would help a lot, with reports that tomlin was running the show then why even have a DC:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...-took-over-defensive-playcalling-last-season/

And will switching sides for bud and TJ be a smart move:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...pressing-flaw-that-needs-to-be-fixed-in-camp/

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Last year was the worst Steelers defense I have seen in the 29 years of my football comprehending life. Sad thing is, I think this coming year might be worse.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    It was bad in the late 80's too.... '86-'88. Injuries racked up during that time.

18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    it's a offensive driven league. eagles/pats had good defenses but shredded each other in the bowl.

defenses got to get some stops/splash plays here and there. Jags great defense got torched.

gone are the days of multiple shutouts, and single digit wins.

19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    NE was 5th in ppg, Eagles were 4th in ppg for defense.

20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I've been hearing this for so many years. And, we all know there has been a very deliberate effort, by the league, to make this true. But all of that said, the D keeps striking back, like the Star Wars Empire.

First of all, both NE and Philly had top 5 Ds last year. Yes, both teams kind of went up and down the field, but it was a D play (the strip sack of Brady) that was the defining play in Philly's win. Without that D play, NE could have won.

Secondly, look at the past several Super Bowl winners. (I use ppg as my measurement because it matters more than yards)..

Philly - top 5 D
    NE - #1
    Denver - top 4 - barely had an offense to speak of.
    NE - top 10
    Seattle - #1, legion of boom

Maybe the D won't matter as much some day, or now, but in the last 20 years, it has been very meaningful.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I don't see why. They were blindsided by Shaz injury and didn't have an answers mid season. They have made some adjustments to deal with it and I feel some young players will have breakout seasons, such as (not all but some) Burns, Sutton, Red, Davis, Hilton and perhaps a few vets may have less injuries and more production such as Tuitt, Haden, Bud. Plus a free agent or two might help, such as Bostic.

Plus, maybe as important as anything, Art put his size 11 shoe up Tomlin's/Butler's back side. There is no more talk about missing tackles being "OK" any longer, as was the case last year.

22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    In '88 they gave up a league worst 26.3 ppg. But in '89 they nearly shocked the world in making the playoffs and beating the Oilers on the road, and then nearly upsetting Denver the next week. That was Noll's last hurrah and some say one of his best coaching jobs ever.

They had such players as Woodson, Hoge, Bubby, Lipps, Lloyd, Everett, Lake, Nickerson, Gerald Williams, Tim Johnson, Keith Willis, etc. The upset over Houston was pretty impressive. That team was super loaded.

23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    that's the thing. Great defenses get stops when they need to.

last year - strip sack to seal it
    2008 -Woodley strip sack to seal it. you bet your butt if it was our defense today warner would've driven and scored lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    N

Ne had a bend but dont break defense but their defense was heavily flawed and exposed by the few good teams they played all yearm. Eagles had a great front 7 but bad secondary outside of Jenkins.

25. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Facts