1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bell....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Jul 15, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I've been said just release him so both parties can move on for what they feel is in their best interest. They aren't going to match numbers far as the long term contract goes so stop playing this game.

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    At the end of the day, Bell is just one run away from a career ending injury. He's human like anyone else. That is a HUGE risk to pay someone that type of money.

Bell's been good, but it looks like his time is up in the Burgh.

He walked himself out of a perfectly good situation for him. Now we can see him start playing for another team at the age of 27 watching his career dry up being happy we didn't overpay for a declining performance.

I'm hoping at this point they don't get a deal done. Let Le'Veon test the market and see how the grass isn't always greener.

How many players have left the Burgh to watch their careers dry up. Too many to list.

We'll have him one more year and then he's someone else's problem.

3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He wants to get paid. Obviously it isnt just about football with him which I have no problem with.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Le'veon's already mentioned retirement talking about how his body hurts. This guy is just playing for the $$$. Ultimately he can't be trusted. I know I don't.

I think now it's best for the two to part. I think Le'veon's attitude can take a hike somewhere else.

Maybe we can find players that will practice with the team instead of thinking they are above it all.

5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I dont disagree with either side. Although I think the tag is a complete bs practice it is in the CBA that players agreed to and all the Steelers are doing is benefitting from it but imo if a player feels he is not getting his worth from one employer he should have the freedom to test the market from others. Gotta think if pitt didnt franchise tag him knowing both really couldn't agree on a long term deal this wouldn't even be happening as he would have more than likely been elsewhere.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Well he declined a pretty good offer to get paid. Now it's just greedy trying to make a political statement IMO, which I'm sure someone will overpay for his services.

Too much of a head case. Let him walk.

We can watch another ex Steeler's career wash up as soon as they leave the Burgh..

I'm excited about the Steeler players actually practicing and playing with the Steelers. Let the headcase go.

Le'veon, you won't be as good elsewhere as you are here..

Famous words and prophetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And what if he went to Seattle? Or the giants got him in free agency before the draft? Or if he went to philly? Or greenbay? Those are rb needy teams that wouldnt be a bad situation for him football wise.

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Le'veon is guaranteed 14.5 million dollars on the franchise tag. Trust me he's using that for leverage in negotiating. Actually it's been used as a benchmark for him to average annually.
    So the franchise tag has its benefits for the player also.

It's partly responsible for him believing he can challenge the running back market to ask nearly double what the next highest back is paid.

Not really a victim story. Bell will be able to hit the FA market next year after making an approximate 23 million with two seasons on the Franchise tag. Not bad for a running back.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'll be interested in seeing who's going to be willing to pay him this exorbitant amount of money. Probably not Philly, Greenbay, etc because they have other players like Aaron Rodgers that they have to pay.

Bell's going to most likely go to the team that throws the most money at him, which most likely means a team that has little supporting cast.

Also.. Saquon Barkely is going to put Le'veon Bell to shame. The Giants did the right thing there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd say in this order Raiders, Redskins and Browns as teams with money or who throw money at big name free agents with zero concern for anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He does. But keep in mind, he ultimately works for the NFL and it's owners. If he want's to go to MLB, he can. But don't for a minute try to suggest the Steelers and say the Bears are 2 different employers. They are no more different employers than Chevrolet and Buick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I like Barkley but I dont think he's capable of being a 30 carry a game guy.

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He ultimately works for the team. The nfl does not own any team and cannot dictate what a team can pay a player up to the salary cap. Each team is SEPARATELY OWNED with their owners and personell having their own philosophy on what someone should and shouldn't get. And one team doesnt dictate what another team will pay a player. You can get paid more from one team than another. So therefore they are different employers. If you dont like one team you should have the freedom to go elsewhere. Pitt with the tag has handicapped him from doing so but it is within their right. But just because it's legal doesnt mean it cant be scrutinized.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Union is a huge reason why so many players, especially subpar, can make so much money.

Bell's using the amount paid with the Franchise tag to help reset the RB market. It certainly has value to him.

To suggest he's the victim here is not accurate.

Like any Union job, you can either choose to stay or go.

He's mentioned retirement before, but where else is he going to be able to collect 14.5 million in one year.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You do miss the point

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    No team exists WITHOUT THE LEAGUE. While teams do have different owners, those owners have to operate under rules that are best for the LEAGUE.

18. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Browns have Chubb, no reason to spend $15 mill a year on Bell.

19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Bell fails to realize his contract is bigger than the Steelers. It's a league issue. He wants to double the RB market. Highest paid right now is 8 mill per. If the Steelers give him what he wants it will be bad for a lot of teams. Gurley and Elliot are going to need contracts soon. Unless the cap is going to go way up. Owners aren't about to start giving out 10+ mill per for an expendable position and position that averages like 3-5 years in the league. He should have played QB or WR if he wants that type of money. He's going to end up settling for less or the same next year to play with a worse team. Stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Correct but none of those rules apply here in this scenario. The NFL has no control over who goes where and gets paid what. The Steelers could sign you off the street for the vet minimum if they wanted to.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    But is 14.5 million in one year better than say 80 million over 5 years?

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    At one point receivers made 8 million a year and that was considered top dollar.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Poor underpaid Bell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018