1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Butler's two cents

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    https://www.steelers.com/news/man-with-a-plan

Well, pretty simple thoughts, but, in the end, football ain't rocket science.

STOPPING THE RUN IS JOB ONE: “Same remedy we always try to use on defense, try to stop the run and get ’em in position where we know they’re going to throw the ball, and then try to rush the passer.”

RUN TO THE BALL: “What we always try to do and talk about it in meetings and stuff like that is make sure they’re running to the ball, everybody runs to the ball. Because we’re going to miss tackles, that happens. Hopefully we won’t miss too many tackles. If somebody misses a tackle, hopefully, we can run it down.”

MIX UP THE PASS RUSH: “I don’t think you can do the same thing all the time, you’ve heard me say that many, many times, or they’ll catch up with you and burn your butt. We gotta make sure we switch it up and give ourselves a chance to be successful.”

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think this season is pretty telling to see what Butler has as a coach. He is ok but his main problem is not adjusting during the game. not sure if that's Tomlins fault, butlers fault, or my fault but it should be addressed. Not saying we need to be #1 defense but our defense needs to show up and get some stops when the game really matters. (playoffs/div clinchers etc)

3. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    THAT and he seems way too tolerant of missed tackles. No wonder they suck so bad at tackling; their coaches think it's fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Run to the ball, but maintain gap integrity and keep your position so as not to fall prey to misdirection

5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He didn't say that. He accepts the fact that players are human and will miss tackles. They can limit the impact of missed tackles if every player runs to the ball.

6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Not good enough. If you aim low, you miss low. Aim high. Missing tackles is not acceptable. This is more Tomlin influence. "Everything is OK, don't worry."

7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You are funny. I guess you would bench players that missed tackles since it's unacceptable in your world. That's a stupid stance to have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Keith Butler

“ if we hold the opposition to less points than we score, we win most of those games”

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    keyword "most" lol

10. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Coaches aren't going to call players out in the media though.

11. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    Your reading comprehension is terrible. He's saying we need an overhaul of the coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelcityclash

steelcityclash Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2018
    He says the same thing every year...every team’s defensive philosophy revolves around this.

If the secondary has issues again with communication and doesn’t live up to the hype, he’s got to go...even with the hiring of a new backs coach the fault should go to him. We don’t have scrubs back there any more! We have used high picks on starting caliber players and signed Haden who takes a big % of our cap. No excuses....

I hope the Rooney’s put him on notice. After watching the Jags game, our O was the only thing that kept us in that game, and Tomlin deciding that our only chance was to kick an onside quite simply says it all.

I know our defense has improved, but honestly it may be because of the talent in spite of coaching. The reality is we have a small window to win with Ben and doubt that we change coordinators, but lots of teams recently are turning things around on D in a span of 1-2 years.

13. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    That quote is how dumb this coaching staff is.

Horrible.

14. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    [​IMG]

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This was preached back in the Cowher era also. The problem against Jacksonville is we couldn't stop their run. Blake played off of it and had success passing.

16. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    They are replaying that game on NFLN right now (and have been for the last few days). Not only could they not stop the run, they were actually soft all game on D. SOFT. They looked helpless and pathetic. That was the best effort we could come up with? Our coaches crapped the bed on having that team prepared. And it starts at the top.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    And it all starts in the trenches. Steelers got whipped... plain and simple. The D-line and LBs were abused all game long. It was painful to watch a Steelers defense play so poorly.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Butler needed time to implement his defense; Tomlin's also. Keep in mind that Tomlin really did not have too much input in LeBeau's because those defenses were simply awesome and did not require any schematic change.

That being said, given the fact that Tomlin is a 4-3 guy and Butler does have 4-3 roots but was an understudy to a 3-4 legend, this defense is a 3-4 but using quasi 4-3 looks. Much of this was already being showcased last season. Ryan Shazier's injury essentially tore up a massive contingent of plans Butler had. Given the fact though he has his "own" in Terrell Edmunds, let us see what he can do.

Now granted, I am still disappointed as to why both T.J. Watt and Dupree were not even considered to flip sides last season as opposed to this season; the 2017 Training Camp doubly so. Should the Steelers be one and done in the playoffs due to the defense as a whole, I would not be surprised if Butler is out by 2019.