1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Linebacker a Great Need

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jul 15, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's interesting the Steelers have traditionally had some of the best linebackers in the league. This year and beyond right now anyways we don't look that strong.

We're very much counting on new and young guys to step up, which could be a good thing.

Vince Williams is scheduled to be a free Agents at the end of next year. I think he's been a good player but not at the caliber of what the Steelers have had at ILB over the past couple decades.

Dupree is set for a make or break it year. If he plays well, we could be ok at OLB for another year. ILB still remains a mystery though.

So I guess we get to see how the young guys step up. Players like

Matt Thomas
    Keion Adams
    Anthony Chickillo
    Tyler Matakevich

We'll get a chance to see how the defense fairs with these players stepping up..

Or not.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we will also see adeniyi, kelsey, galambos, huguenin, leslie. many of these guys in year two. should make a difference in their play from year one. :cool:

3. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Not only are our LBs subpar, but at the same time we've used an inordinate number of high picks in order to upgrade the unit.

Sean Spence - 3rd, terrible injury
    Jarvis Jones - 1st round. A COMPLETE BUST. Worthless player.
    Shaz 1st - terrible injury
    Dupree 1st. Has not lived up to draft slot.
    TJ Watt - 1st. Looking good so far.
    Edmunds - 1st. Was projected as a 3rd to 5th round.

By the way, I think we are sleeping on Chickillo a bit. He made some noise when he got in the game last year.

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    People have been beating this Chickillo drum for too long now. If he’s was going to be anything more than he is he would be it by now. He could shock me but I just don’t see it. A good play here and there but that’s about it. Also he has zero coverage skills which is now a requirement for our OLBs.

5. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Is he really as bad as Dupree, or does Bud keep playing time because the team doesn't want to admit he was another bad draft pick? These guys would rather protect their egos than admit they made another poor decision. Why did Jarvis Jones remain for so long? He's not even on a team, because no one wants him, but it took Pgh FOUR years to realize he was garbage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

They are putting the players on the field they believe gives us the best chance to win. First rounder or UDFA, it doesn’t matter.

Apparently they see something in Bud you don’t. Apparently they see something in Bud I don’t. But I do see Bud is better with more upside than Chickillo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Is that right? Is that why Jones kept his job for 4 years, yet, he is so bad, he made no one's roster after we finally got rid of him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess I like Chickillo a bit more than you...IMO if given the same opportunity as Bud he could do as well if not better. I'm down on Bud and unless he pulls a 180 the position needs to be opened up to new competition and 2nd and 3rd string guys given a equal chance. Bud doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt any more....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Dupree is solid in coverage and was really held back by Jones. Reports have said that he was drafted with the right side in mind. Don’t know if that’s true or not but I do think it’s going to help. Those completely down on Dupree seem to forgot that this isn’t the Blitzburgh Defense anymore. No matter how bad you want it or how hard you fight it our OLBs are asked to do different things now. This all changed when Butler let the DEs get up field instead of holding ground. Don’t expect Watt to ever get many more than 10 unless the Steelers completely change their scheme on defense again. Look at the sack leaders on the team this year. Is Heyward really that much better than Aaron Smith or is it they are just asked to do different things? I honestly wish we would go back. I think that’s where our issues against the run comes in also. DEs getting up field opens up holes in the 3-4 along with what I call a hybrid NT. If you want to be a 4-3 be a 4-3 stop with this hybrid of both. If they are taking it in the direction I think they are I’m optimistic but still reserved.

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    My issue with Chickillo is coverage. He was never asked to do it really before being a pro and just hasn’t shown he can do it.

11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I am really hoping Bostic is the second coming of Farrior .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't see him doing a very good job against the run, either. He was absolutely awful against the Bears.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, they felt he was the best option. Now you are catching on.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt it, but I'd settle for a competent inside linebacker who can actually make plays moving laterally.

15. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    If Bostic is behind Big Red well I wouldn’t get my hopes to high!

16. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    just for the record Jarvis Jones had a neck issue going back from college, and I believe he went to the cardinals and than because of neck/spine issue stepped away,

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's Dirty Red, not Big Red, and he's not going to be a starter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I still think red and bostic by years end. Vince and Dupree are in prove it years. Just an opinion though.:cool:

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They have a pretty good breakdown of Bud. I obviously have been rooting for the guy as I have his pic. He has good burst and speed on the pass rush. The problem is he doesn't turn his hips well and the offense end up using Dupree's strengths against him.

Against the run, he does pretty well and is a solid tackler.

He's not as bad as many portray. He's scheduled to make 9 mil in his 5th year option though, which most would believe is above his production.

I personally believe he's going to pull off a strong year.

20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This exactly. This is Bostic's upside. Anyone who is expecting the next James Farrior is going to be disappointed.

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand your concern....I do actually recall a couple pass plays he has broken up.I'm not gonna turn this into a bash Dupree thread. I'm gonna reserve further judgement until the season starts. Right now I'm down and skeptical and hoping the switch from left to right is the answer.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    A healthy tuitt and a healthy heyward will make these OLBers look really good as well as the inside guys. A healthy Hargreaves will feed off the other two. We haven't seen this front healthy all at once yet but they could be special and difference making. It still all starts up front on both sides of the ball. :cool:

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree - Dupree has become the target of fan's ire this off-season, but he's not been terrible. He's missed time, which hasn't helped, and his play has been particularly bad in the games we really sucked, which also hasn't helped. But a lot of it seems to be that he's the guy everyone wants to attack this time.

Does he deserve 9mil? No. That's a problem. Does he deserve all of the criticism he's getting? Not all of it. We'll see what he can do this year.

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well he better or it will be the Jarvis Jones exit....Hopefully he doesn't get injured or have another ghost injury so they will be on the hook for that 9 mill.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He has every reason to have a good season. Big payday coming up ... or not. depends if he can turn things around

• Agree Agree x 1