1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How many more years for BB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MattyMo9, Jul 13, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I know Ben has been all over the place the last few seasons saying he was considering retirement to wanting to play 3-5 more years. How many more do you think he plays?

My guess is 2. If the Steelers win another SB I can see him riding off into the sunset like his Idol Elway. Unfortunately I can also see him getting hurt and that forcing his hand.

2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would say ... 2-3yrs. He would like 5yrs but I don't think his body will allow him to do what he used to do. Plus, Randolph will be right there for a smooth transition. I would like to see Ben leave on top. No grudges and on his own terms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Two more and then they make him our LB coach. They don't seem to care who does that.:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    2 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    2 years max... and then Rudolph takes over. If by some miracle the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year with our sh!tty D, Brady poops the bed, etc... He'll retire in February and go out like Bettis.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think come December 2019, Ben's decline will be obvious there will be rumblings to move onto to Rudolph - especially if he shows anything in the limited playing time he gets.

By then, the offense as a whole may be showing signs of wear: Bell will be gone, AB will likely be in decline too, and Pouncey will have played 10 yrs in the trenches.

It will be interesting to see what they do. Especially, if Ben wants to keep playing and the Steelers want to move on. Unitas played for the Chargers, Namath for the Rams, Favre for everybody, Imagine Ben in Redskins jersey?

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    1 year at a time, so he has 1 year left, if he is here for next year then he has another 1 year left, so it's a year to year schedule for him......

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    2 years, plays out the contract. The Steelers will be done, weather he wants to play some where else will be up to him.

I think with his body and type of play, father time won't give him any more time than that.

It could be sooner, concussions and injuries take a lot of guys out for good. Marino, Young, Aikman. All could of maybe had a year or two more, but with the injuries it was all over for them.

9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    3 to 5 more years for Big Ben, I will take his word on the matter.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he makes 2 years the Rooney's will have paid him over 200 mill. That is alot of coin.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll take his word too, and in May he said this:

“the key is, for me, I’m always going to take it one season at a time”
    https://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/...im-still-going-to-take-it-one-year-at-a-time/

The fact is Ben is wishy washy. He could be gone after this season but I think two years tops. The Steelers were right to draft a quarterback!

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He also said he was thinking of retiring. His word doesn’t carry much weight with me.

13. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    2020 will be his last season. Ben said he wants to go out with the most Super Bowl wins in Steeler history. After winning #s 3, 4, and 5 over these next 3 seasons he'll retire with his goal met.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think the reality is now we're going year to year with him.

That's why it was so important to draft young talent. I'm hoping they find a way to keep Josh Dobbs as well even if it's to a practice squad. I think personally he'll be picked up off of waivers.

Also it could depend on how Mason Rudolph develops.

It's definitely on Ben's mind. His body might not follow what his mind wants to do. We'll see.