1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Is Not A Top 10 QB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jul 3, 2018.

1. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I think Wentz with a good year could push to number 3. I watched a lot of Eagles games last year and he reminded me a lot of young Ben but clearly better! That’s a scary statement moving forward.

2. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Ben had a lot better rookie year than wentz, and wentz had a lot better second year than ben, ben had only 4 fumbles his first 2 years and wentz had 23, wentz was more mobile and ran the ball more than ben but after this knee surgery he probably will stay in the pocket a lot more, wentz is an accurate passer, so keeping him in the pocket more this year is the better choice for them, and should create less fumbles by him .....

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wilson belongs ahead of Roethlisberger already. Wentz just needs to prove it a bit longer. I think he will.

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Food for thought. An observation with a comment at the end.

There is a thread Ben not being a a top 10 QB, and the consensus seems to be : Whadaya nuts? He's clearly better that.

There is a thread about Tomlin being the #9 coach, and the consensus is mixed, with many thinking at #9, MT is overrated.

I'm no MT apologist, but i think a lot of the disapproval of MT is caused by Ben's not meeting espectations since 2011.
    Tomlin ain't without blame, but neither is #7. What was the last big game that Ben, a GREAT QB, carried this team to victory in a big game?

Flame away!

5. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Ben was a game manager early in his career with strong running games and D. Wentz was run away MVP last year till his injury. Wentz is far ahead of Ben early in his career but let’s see if he continues to evolve

6. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Superbowl against arizona............ Since then notta...... Had a great chance to cement his legacy against packers in last 2 minutes but stunk up the joint......... Still makes me sick. No reason not to get 1 stinking first down against an OK defense with literally half of them on sideline cause they got hurt during game.............

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What about that Ravens game on Christmas a couple years ago?

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You mean the one where Ben threw the pass too short to AB on the last play, and AB fought his way into the EZ? Another WR gets downed at the one yd line, and we're still bellyaching about Haley's stupid play call.

Just like we're bellyaching about the plays vs NE, after the JJ call.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah the one he threw the winning touchdown in.
    Someone at some point last season posted the question “when was the last time Ben drove us down the field to win a game” and when I said 2 weeks ago (which he did) they never responded again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    This must sum up the differences between my generation and the younger generation. To decide a QB's worth (or any player for that matter), you have to look way beyond stats. I realize that stats are an easy way to make an argument and require no study of the game. I really don't care where you rank Ben, but I have seen him do some incredible stuff throughout his career. Enough incredible stuff for me to believe he is a HOF and an elite QB. I don't believe this based on his stats alone, although they are plenty decent, I base it on his body of work. Look at the game where Suggs beat the heck out of him. Guy played with a broken nose, broken head, broken arms, broken legs broken pelvis, broken fingers, broken feet, broken ears (can you break your ears?), and still rolled around on the field to finish the game!

11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Let's see, how about beating the then 5-0 Chiefs - IN KC - last year with a 94 QB rating? Is that a big game?

How about shredding the best D in the NFL with a 105 rating vs. MN last year?

How about dropping a 40 burger on TN, 115 rating.

Yea, but Ben hasn't done anything lately.

12. MattyMo9

Dec 11, 2017
    Unfortunately for Ben he played in the Brady era. Things could have been much different stat and championship wise if not

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Another way of thinking is if AB had run the pattern where he should have, it would have been an easy TD.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    He’s definitely a top 10 quarterback(debatable top 5) of the qb’s based on their ability now and what they have accomplished in their past.Carr is trying to weasel his way out of his statement by saying if he was picking a quarterback for a new franchise which probably would mean a younger quarterback not past his peak.Other than Brady, Rogers and Brees do any of the other qb’s have any Super Bowl wins and a proven track record over the years?I guess you could throw Manning in the mix(two Super Bowls and consistently good but nowhere on the map the last few years)but everyone else on the list is young and haven’t won the big game yet and not played on a high level long enough to show they can be that guy year in and out!Nice try at a save Carr with the “starting a franchise “statement you made after your initial statement!

15. bales

bales Active Member

Sep 4, 2015
    Certainly with David Carr's deduction--L.Jones should light it up with this talent around him,Right? M.Vick certainly as well? Ben is obviosly top 10 and thank God for those studs around him....

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Nobody knows what the correct criteria is to rate QBs, they think brady is the best based soley on his 5 SB wins, but several QBs are HOFERS who never won a SB, Aikman didnt have great TD numbers with only 165 and thats 164 TDs less than what ben has already, he won 3 SBs but most of those came from emmit smiths rushing yardage. Should a QB get rated with only 2-3 years in the league thats hardly enough time to establish if he is a top 10 or not,Carr over rates his brother at 4 but since nick foles won the last superbowl and was the MVP should he be ranked number 1? There is just to many intangibles and biases to rank QBs without a criteria committee to get it done with a consensus agreement.....

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...kings-nfc-west-russell-wilson-jimmy-garoppolo

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brady isn't considered the greatest of all time solely based on winning five Super Bowls and playing in eight. He also has great numbers. He is currently fourth in career passing yards, third in touchdowns and third in career passer rating. (By the way, Russell Wilson is second in career passer rating all time and Aaron Rodgers is first.) He has the second-most touchdown passes in a single season, 50.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He puts his brother 4th, therefore the list has no credibility IMO.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben has lost his magic at end of games. His body is breaking down, can't do the things he use too.

Throws too many stupid passes, with no one to supervise Ben, he may throw 20 int's this year?

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No one to supervise him? You actually think Haley had that much influence?

21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Not much, but Fichtner will have even less. Here comes 50 passes a game.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fichter has talked about more of a focus on the run, not less. We may see a lot of passing if/when Bell is either out or getting his legs back after sitting out again, but you're making a lot of assumptions that don't really make sense.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Where did play action go?

24. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Says who? You

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No. Two things I read about him when he was hired that he was likely to focus more on the run and go with more no-huddle.