1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How is this acceptable? Bell admits they overlooked teams.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 28, 2018.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Most players of Bell's status won't play on one year deals. I believe it's rare that teams franchise players in back to back years. There are future millions on the line for players of Bell's status. Teams will either sign them, trade them (I think this is rare), or let them hit free agency.

Bell doesn't have to sign his franchise tag until X amount of games(not sure how many) into the season to get credit for the entire season. He takes a risk by even being there for the X amount of games. Ultimately would you risk being injured in camp with potential millions on the line? I wouldn't. That would be a bad business decision. Bell's playing by the rules.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I get the rules, but we’re trying to win games and this guy is being an ass. Bell has already made over 30 million including this upcoming season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't believe Ben was a student of the game earlier in his career. I believe he must be a student of the game by this point. Did arriving late to the "student" game hurt Ben's overall development? Well that's possible.

Sometimes I think Ben is stubborn in his approach. For example, going for a long TD pass instead of getting 1 to 3 yards for a 1st down to extend a drive.

A long term deal is in the works for Bell. No one knows if a deal will get done or not. I believe the up front money is the hang up based on Bell's comments. I think Bell puts in some work. The results show up on the field.

I wish I knew the actual details of the contract negotiations so I could say that Bell did or did not receive a fair deal. He disagreed. We'll see if a deal gets worked out. I believe they have until July 16th to get a deal done.

4. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Business comes first. No one will care about Bell once his career is over or cry for him if he is cut before his contract expires. Based on RB's histories he will have one shot to get a big pay day. Players generally only receive a little over half of the contracts they sign. It's his body on the line.

The Steelers and Bell need to protect themselves from the realities of the game.

5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yet a hall of fame player who knows more about the game than you did

6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Exactly he clearly said the first will determine the location of the 2nd. The Steelers and Pats arent in the same division so there's only 1 way they can play each other 2x...

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    If Pitt is so disgruntled with him rescind the tag and let him go. I wish there was no franchise tag like the nba and players had the freedom to move around.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The point is he never overlooked anyone and the people claiming they did can’t freaking read. “ If we’re both doing what we’re supposed to be doing...” To put it another way for you if we handle our business first...

Got it?

9. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He did by even commenting on a team that is several weeks away and talking about a potential matchup. What if Jacksonville did what they were posed to be doing. Why didn't he comment on them doing what they had to do?

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Why would he comment on what Jacksonville had to do? He’s the coach of the Steelers. There is no reason for him to comment on what Jacksonville is supposed to do. You’re grasping at straws

11. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The comments said were not in regard to knowledge of the game. It was an opinion. My opinion is that the comments meant absolutely nothing. Talk is cheap. The thing that matters most on game day is the execution on the field. Some people love to stir the pot like drama queens. Carry on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He isnt the coach of ne but is commenting on what they had to do..

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Can you show me how many great coaches have stirred that pot.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You seem very confused again.

15. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    I said they shouldn't have won, not that they couldn't win. For the rest of your post, I respect your opinion, but that kind of thinking gets to me. The "any given Sunday" attitude shouldn't be acceptable. That you don't view teams as lesser is the same thinking that gets us kids sports where no one is allowed to win. There are better teams and worse teams. That does not mean a lesser team can't win, but it does mean that if you are the better team then you lost because of you more often than not.

You say Ben played bad? Well, we all know that he is a great QB, so why do his bad games seem to always happen against inferior teams? Granted Jacksonville had a great defense so Ben not playing well against them can be excused. However, he certainly played well enough in the second half of the playoff game. Where was he in the first half? I would counter your reasoning behind the Bears loss by pointing out that we got beat by two running backs that the defense was incapable of stopping. That happened again in the Jax games. What did those two teams have in common? A sub-par QB. High school teams get beat by one or two guys, but pro teams shouldn't have that happen to them. Of course that's more on the defense not necessarily the whole team. Whether it was poor defensive scheme or the Steelers over looked them, or maybe even both, I'm not going to be happy with that kind of effort, or lack of effort.

Given your post, I don't think you just assume that we will beat a team that we, on paper, are clearly better than. I wish the Steelers thought like you do in that regard.

• Agree Agree x 1